Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought I'd start a new thread and see if there is any interest in continuing it among other classical music listeners here.

There's the Classical Music Corner, but you really can't have a conversation there, you can only talk about classical music. If you talk audio, or about instruments, or about the bad day you had, or how happy you are to be listening and relaxing, or anything else. . . someone complains, posts are deleted, fingers are wagged.

I'd like to have a thread where you an talk about classical music AND other music that may be on your mind while listening to classical music, what you're thinking about while listening, how your day or life is going, just a conversation with classical music going, like one might have in person. I personally prefer this sort of a thread to any other type of thread. Thought if we spell it out in the beginning that this is an open conversation then those who are somehow offended or bothered can participate elsewhere, and those who don't mind a conversation can have one.

I've shamelessly lifted this intro from its Jazz counterpart, written by @Lonson.

So if you want to join a conversation. . . please do.

Legend, H.S98, Svetonio and 53 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hi bluemooze,

Wow, a neat idea. I don't listen to as much classical music as I do other genres, and my listening partner for classical is my Dad, we have a lot of fun listening together, but now I'm never near my computer when I do listen with him at his place. (Been a lot of Mozart lately as I got him the 225 box set, German edition, for Xmas and he has been playing the heck out of it since.)

When I do listen to classical at home I'll participate here because I like a conversation about music!

Setting this to "watch" status and wishing it the best!

3. bluemooze

Following the suggestion of @DeepFloyd11, today I've been conducting a survey of Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto.

Contenders so far have been Martha Argerich, Valentina Lisitsa and Yuja Wang.

Next up is Alexis Weissenberg.

Results to follow. :)

4. bluemooze

Thank you. :edthumbs:

5. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yep, I like the idea. I'm listening to the Eloquence label (Decca) of "Witches Brew" at the moment. This works for me any time of year, not just Halloween. I also have a Living Stereo reissue of this one, but the Eloquence has a few more tracks. If anyone joins the thread that knows about this recording, I've seen that Analog Productions has reissued this in it's original track list, both on LP and hybrid SACD. Was wondering if it would be enough of a sonic improvement to pull the trigger on the SACD. But $30 is a bit too high to just take a chance on it. Opinions, anyone?

6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

So my nachos are safe in this thread? (you had to be there)

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Well, this just came, so I'm going to upload a few discs today to JRiver and start listening tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karnak, Sean, TonyACT and 6 others like this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I usually post about 2 or 3 albums on Classical Corner daily because during the day I also listen to rock and roll, pop and jazz.

I like Classical in the morning with my coffee.

9. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

Sherm likes this.
  10. bluemooze

Do you upload all your classical music? The piano concerto survey I've been conducting has highlighted for me how much simpler it would be for me to compare/contrast if I had them on the computer.

11. Lonson

I haven't heard the new AP reissue of this one, but I did buy the SACD of "Spain" as I love the music so. And yes, I'm glad I did, it sounds excellent. I just wish it had the additional material on it on the earlier SACD and/or that AP would reissue that material.

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Just about all of them.

It does make comparisons easy regarding performances, stereo vs. mono, etc.

Plus, if I upload them, I can listen through my headphone amp or through my DAC on my main system.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  13. Nice idea. @Lonson's thread has been a great success. Hope this works for you.

I'm a classical music fan, currently giving Bruckner's symphonies a re-evaluation. I never really warmed to him for some reason, though I adore Brahms and Mahler. I went back to Karajan's cycle on DG last weekend and got a lot more out of it this time around.

Any Bruckner fans round here who can give me some pointers?

14. JamesD1957

You might be thinking of "Bitches Brew" by Miles? "Witches Brew" was a classical recording from the late 50's and the original LP's in good condition are really high priced if you can find them. Of the two reissues I have, the Living Stereo sounds a bit bright, but the Eloquence actually sounds pretty good. Hopefully someone reading will have heard the AP reissue.

15. I've always enjoyed Ashkenazy's on Decca.

16. Lonson

I thought you were thinking of this, or so I assumed.

[​IMG]

I was referring to this, the Analog Productions SACD version:

[​IMG]

I love the music on this.

tomymontana, Cabin_Essence and crispi like this.
  17. JamesD1957

Yep, sorry for the confusion on my part! :hide:

Lonson likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

This set is well-regarded. I like it a lot.

[​IMG]

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He was one of the first to record a complete cycle - well, he did omit the "double zero" symphony, of course, but that one isn't really a symphony :)

SteelyTom, crispi and ibanez_ax like this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm partial to his later digital 8th with the Concertgebouw. The scherzo and the final movement have some very goosebump-raising otherworldy moments.

Thomas R likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree. His 1981 8th with the CO made quite an impression on me when it came out. His 8th with the VPO, made in 1995, is just as fine. All his other recordings of the 8th don't match those two in my opinion.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  22. bluemooze

First up in my Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 survey today was performed by Martha Argerich with the Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin led by Riccardo Chailly on Philips.

Results to follow.

[​IMG]

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not a fan of the Tchaikovsky (not one of my favourite composers), but that Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 is fine.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. bluemooze

Second in my Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 survey today was performed by Valentina Lisitsa with the London Symphony Orchestra led by Michael Francis on Decca.

Results to follow.

[​IMG]

25. bluemooze

Third in my Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 survey today was performed by Yuja Wang with the Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela led by Gustavo Dudamel on DG.

Results to follow.

[​IMG]

Karnak, florandia, Rmihai0 and 2 others like this.