Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Tickets obtained! Quick and easy, though I pounced at exactly 10am...it looks like they're already sold out.

2. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Got two myself for the Boston show via the Citibank presale. Top section but at least it's seated. I'm too old for general admission.

27 YEARS I've waited for this! I didn't think it would ever happen.

The Big Guy, stevemoss and bferr1 like this.
  3. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Likewise. I missed them every time they came around, and when they split I figured that was it. I'm delighted to have the chance once more.

bferr1 likes this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ouch... For the collected works experience, I'm more inclined to just pick up the unremastered CDs, which are readily available for less than a quarter of this asking price. A shame that the rarities are so premium priced. Suspect that'll mean a lot of people simply won't be hearing them then.

5. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Glad I settled for GA vis a vis "best available" option for Chicago.

Went back at 10:03 and there were none available.

Thanks for the thread! Would have had no idea that a show was happening, nor would I have had a chance at face value tickets without it.

6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Went on right at 10 am and the best I could pull for the Denver show was 10th row stage right. Tried to purchase but system rejected my attempt; tried again and the best thing was center balcony. Grabbed that and by 10:04, nothing else was available.

I never thought the Oils would sell out that quickly here. Crazy.

7. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Nothing left in Chicago, the second they went on sale. Ugh. I guess it's Stubhub for me. Are they under selling themselves? $35-55 ticket price for a big band that hasn't toured in 20 years?

8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I must have really hit it lucky then.

Does anyone know if there was a pre-sale for Chicago?

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Boston also sold out, though Im sure they shuttled a bunch of tickets to StubHub. The HOB when it's overcrowded can kill the greatest shows, so f#$% it.

Rich C likes this.
  10. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sent most of them to StubHub and other resellers. I think I may have been the first one in and they had to keep up appearances by offering me a couple of GA tickets.

11. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I'm with you. I got two seats at the top of the Wiltern in LA. I don't mind because I'm in the same age group as the band. Don't want to mess with general admission these days.

shirtandtie likes this.
  12. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I just checked StubHub for the LA show. The Wiltern holds 1,850 and StubHub has over 500 of them. That's just ridiculous.

Elliott908 likes this.
  13. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I got my Denver tix by going right in at 10am yesterday and telling myself I'd jump on whatever came up with "best available." It was the back row on the floor, but the way the auditorium slopes (used to be a movie theater) I think the view and sound will be great. I can't believe the demand for these shows in the US.

14. meihyes

meihyes Forum Resident

I did the same thing, got 6 for me and my family about 25th row on the floor. Checked again to see if I could pull a better pair and was shut out the rest of the way!

15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The Midnight Oil Facebook page is really rubbing it in for those who are missing out on tickets. Every time another show has sold out, they put up one of these:
    [​IMG]

Mylene, theholygoof and MrGrumpy like this.
  16. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I had another browser tab opened on StubHub and magically at 10:13 when Ticketmaster was sold out, a plethora of tickets suddenly appeared there.

17. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

yeah, good band and all but I find it very hard to believe all of these shows legitimately sold out this quickly.

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Any news on the box-sets....do we think they are really worth the rather high cost?

19. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

There was not. I was on a tablet and a desktop and best avail went immediately to GA on both. Put them in the cart on the tablet, but wanted to see if I did something wrong, so I clicked back on the desktop to see if I could do better and got the "none available" prompt. This was at 10:02. Fortunately I had the two locked up. Haven't seen the since '93 in Boulder.

Does anyone remember that tour? In Boulder if you brought in the Outbreak of Love CD single you could have the band sign it. Still got mine--pretty cool!

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Vancouver 2002 had 2 Commodore shows sell out. 2017 is at the end the tour leg in the same venue and sold out instantly, yet they didn't add a show or bump up the venue.

21. Only interested in the Overflow box and the answer is no.Note that 5 of the 8 DVD's have a running time of less than an hour and the material would easily fit on 3 DVD's or 2 Blurays.Comparing it to equivalent releases by other artists the music should retail at about $A130 which leaves you with a $A160 toy plastic water tank.
    "The rich get richer
    The poor get the picture"-Midnight Oil

GabeL likes this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

They didn't, unless "sold out" means "any tickets not bought by fans allocated to secondary market for resale." But this happens with every band these days. I went to Temple of the Dog at the Bill Graham and during the show Chris Cornell said something like, "I don't know if we'll do more shows. It's nice that these sold out..." It was so "sold out," I was able to buy a ticket off of StubHub for 25 bucks the week of the show. And there were plenty more left.

To me, a real sell out is when the vast majority of tickets go to fans the first day tickets are on sale, and those fans, who of course fully intend to go to the show, hold on to those tickets making them a "tough ticket" for anyone who got shut out. In my opinion, a sell out is NOT when half or more of the tickets end up on the secondary market selling for double or triple the original outlet's price (or even more), waiting for folks willing to pay that amount to scoop them up.

Radiohead is doing two nights at the Greek Theatre in April. That's a small venue for them, and it should be an instant sell out. But it isn't sold out even though tickets went on sale weeks ago. I can get a ticket on StubHub right now. If I want to pay $300, that is.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    MrGrumpy likes this.
  23. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

And that would be me! Congrats to morgan1098 and robcar for scoring Denver tix. I could do no better than see that tix were available on the diagram, but could never get any quantity into the cart. Oh well. Did see them 5 times in Denver/Boulder from '88 to '01.

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm keen on the vinyl set and think the US price is more or less in line with other box sets by other artists featuring as many discs. That said, still waiting for an irresistible deal...

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

ImportCDs is now listing the Vinyl Collection and Full Tank CD box sets. Prices are much better than Amazon's, but the vinyl box is still higher than the Oils' web store.

Midnight Oil Midnight Oil: The Vinyl Collection [Import] 180 Gram Vinyl, Deluxe Edition, Boxed Set, Australia - Import on ImportCDs
    Midnight Oil Midnight Oil: The Full Tank [Import] Limited Edition, With DVD, Deluxe Edition, Boxed Set on ImportCDs

They list UPC codes for the boxes, which might help locate other sellers.
    Vinyl box: 889853985111
    Full Tank: 889854258825

No listing for the Overflow Tank that I could find. Also, no indication that the LPs are being sold individually...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.