Hendrix- Cry of Love 2014 vs First Rays 1997*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fooboo, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think Kramer was well aware of the evolution of Jimi Hendrix's music and respected it. Hendrix was not trying to recycle Electric Ladyland, much like Electric Ladyland was not an attempt at recycling his first two LPs. I also think there was quite a bit of variety with what Hendrix was developing and producing during 1970, the presentation relied on creative sequencing. Even after removing Dolly Dagger and Room Full of Mirrors, Kramer could have created an edit of Cherokee Mist for inclusion, or included the acoustic version of Midnight Lightning from 3/23 at the Record Plant, or included Hendrix's August 1970 mix of Come Down Hard On Me, or even Lover Man from July 1970. Kramer had options, some viable and legitimate inclusions connected to Hendrix's work from the summer of 1970 that may have very well ended up as part of his planned fall 1970 Reprise release. I think the inclusion of My Friend was stretch, even though I like the song.

2. PacificOceanBlue

In terms of what Hendrix intended for his fall 1970 owed to Reprise, it is speculative. There are numerous theories and ideas based on a variety of sources and evidence, but no one purports to know for certain how the finished product would have been sequenced. There was a lot of material in different phases of development. Was it going to be a double album? A triple album? If Hendrix ran out of time to finish a multi-disc set, would Jeffery and Reprise have demanded a 4th quarter single disc album? What was he going to hold back for the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack (advances which helped finance Electric Lady Studios)? The main thing is that EH has never attempted to present a historically accurate presentation of the background and chronology of what was tentatively titled First Rays of The New Rising Sun. Their First Rays compilation was a farce. There is a very interesting and important story to tell and EH has the ability to tell it, but has chosen to have the unfinished masters and session material spread out across a multitude of titles, with some of the material remaining unreleased.

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never thought of that, but it makes sense.

slane likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I second that notion, I felt compelled to bust out the Rainbow Bridge reissue I purchased earlier this week to give it a fresh listen. This piece never fails to take me there... where? I don't exactly know, but it's exactly where I want to be.

Jam757, Pop_Zeus and footlooseman like this.
  5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I really am a novice in this "4th album construction" discussion. I never really liked Cry of Love and First Rays. But when I tried the track listing of the 1st disc attributed to Hendrix, I thought it was just perfect. From there I was able to extend it to 3 discs quite easily, using ideas from this thread.
    I don't understand why Experience Hendrix did not start First Rays this way.
    Anyway, great thread !

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I love the song"Hey Baby".First heard it on a download from Napster or Aimster ten years ago_One of his best and and very good dynamic with depth recording.So I found it was on First Rays cd so I bought it recently.Sounded like crap compared to that download.Couldn't even play it.Any recommendation for this on cd?

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  7. fredhammersmith

2014 Experience Hendrix remaster of Rainbow Bridge

SOONERFAN, Pop_Zeus and ronm like this.
  8. Seconded....
    And West Coast Seattle Boy for the pairing with Bolero.

Pop_Zeus and SOONERFAN like this.
  9. fredhammersmith

Oh yeah, forgot about this one. Good call!|

10. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Thanks.Would you happen to have a number for that particular cd?

11. PacificOceanBlue

I think it is conceivable that he was intrigued with the possibilities for "Slow Part." He definitely was intrigued with developing instrumentals during that period, with Cherokee Mist, Villanova Junction, Beginnings, Bolero, etc. being developed, so once he stumbled upon the jam he labeled as "Slow Part," it is not surprising that he enhanced it with overdubs. Who knows if it would have been another gem relegated to the vaults, but he at least seemed to acknowledge that it was a noteworthy piece of music on some level.

12. PacificOceanBlue

The WCSB alleged historically accurate pairing is interesting, but I was always a bit disappointed that EH did not release an alternative take of Hey Baby on the box set.

nbadge and Jimi Bat like this.
  13. fredhammersmith

14. Does a complete alternate take exist?

15. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

If you're referring to the fan tracklist John Fell posted (see quote below), I agree with you. It's the most convincing tracklist I've seen (and heard ;-) so far. Which may have something to do with the fact the guy took Hendrix (supposed) draft as a springboard (and then filled out the blanks quite brilliantly). And which doesn't mean that the final product would have turned out like that.

I guess the tracklist contains several tracks that would've ended as outtakes because they were just a little bit too similar in approach. But it still shows you COULD archive a covincing sequence, even concentrating on the tracks that were finished or nearly finished when Hendrix died. Such kind of rouded up album, combined with another 2 CDs of Demo/Session work could've constituted one interesting approach (of several possible) for a First Rays box set. I could even imagine a "Stages"-like approach, combining demos and "finished" tracks from different stages of "4th album" sessions like September/October 69 (Gypsy Sun & Rainbows), December 69-Jan 70 (BOG), June-August '70 (COL) etc.

16. PacificOceanBlue

My understanding is that there were multiple attempts at producing a working master. There may not be another take with a guide vocal (like the one officially released), but hearing an alternative instrumental backing would have been cool.

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I would go with Rainbow Bridge because that will give exactly the version you remember.
    The version on WCSB is good but it has more percussion in the mix and I think in this case at least it clutters up the sound a bit.

DTK and ronm like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

A missed opportunity. They really needed to release a 2-4 cd First Rays box set. They also blew it by not release an album of Band of Gypsies studio tracks.

Pop_Zeus, DTK and Greenblues like this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Growing up with Cry Of Love for me, well it's the "right" one.

Once one has heard those track sequences for so long like I've had, well..... it just does not work hearing other variations, even if they might have been closer to what Jimi's vision was.

I've got a few good clean original vinyl copies and the recent vinyl re-release as well as a few CD's, I prefer the original vinyl over any and all.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Original Track vinyl here. :agree::righton:

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I am not particularly sudiophile but First Rays i just can't listen to. One track at the time is ok but several and my ears say stop. So i dug out my turntable (unused for 25 years) and needledropped my 80s pressings of COL, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes.

Now i don't know how they rank as pressings but they are much better than First Rays.

22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

FIRST RAYS is a sonic nightmare.

The freaking bass distorts on Freedom right as it comes in. Terrible.

23. telepicker97

I've a white label RL Sterling Sound promo and a UK Polydor.

24. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

The mastering on the vinyl First Rays is MUCH better.
    South Saturn Delta is also mastered better for vinyl than the cd.
    I don't know why they master the vinyl one way and the compact disc differently.
    The CDs of Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge are awesome.
    For me, I think my cd of War Heroes is just as good as the vinyl.

25. telepicker97

The vinyl is, in most cases, mastered with much more care for sonic fidelity...and the listener's ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.