Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I've outgrown that problem. It's hard work continually trying to convince myself that I am supposed to like something because everyone else says it's good.

As time has passed I've come to realize that my own instincts have been better than the popular consensus much of the time, which is not to say I don't have stuff in my collection that I have to laugh about now, wondering what I was thinking at the time.

Try looking at it this way -- perhaps the problem is not so much that you are not "getting" something about an artist that others are, but that perhaps you are turned off by something that they aren't "getting."

For example, for years and years since the late 70s I've been hearing how Springsteen "puts on a great show" when I reveal to people that I am not crazy about Bruce. OK, "a great show." What does that mean? Basically, that he runs around exuding some kind of frantic passion and energy on stage. To me it all looks phony and a big "put on." Obviously, those who enjoy him don't see it that way. But it doesn't get me all worked up and excited like I see it does other audience members.

You mention the Band, which I also never really got into. I like some of their stuff, and many people, including big artists like Clapton, have praised them for their rootsy Americana sound, whereas that was not something I personally found very appealing; a little too backwoodsy for my taste.

To each his own.

DiabloG likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

P!nk
    The Band
    Frank Sinatra
    Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

You are not alone, and I am not ashamed to say it. I think Lou Reed was a pompous ass and way overrated as a musician.

4. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I chimed in on these guys earlier, but recently I heard a friend put it in a way I never could have: "The Band are the musical equivalent of one brown sock."
    :laugh:

Thwacko, DTK and Mickey2 like this.
  5. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Rush
    The Pixies
    Bruce Springsteen
    Stevie Wonder
    Anthrax

I have respect for all these artists, just never liked their music well enough to listen to it.

bpwlogan likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well put. They are sooo boring. There are some good songs, but I never warmed to their sound (stop doing those licks, Levon) or the vocals.

7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So...I think the real thread title is "Name bands that are immensely popular and/or universally acclaimed that you aren't really into." My list looks like this:

Nirvana
    Hendrix
    Joplin
    Jefferson Airplane (love Jefferson Starship tho)
    Dylan
    The Smiths
    Radiohead
    Aerosmith

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  8. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Brilliant! No wonder I never liked that brown album.

Lightworker and sixelsix like this.
  9. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Cheap Trick. They're quirky (check), they have pop smarts (check), but when it's all said and done their overall sound is just a bit too hard for my tastes.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Even though I have every single album by Pink Floyd, I can only take so much of them. Also, more than a few of their albums gather dust and don't get any listens because they are "too far out there."

Similarly, I can only take so much of David Bowie. I like all his classic hits that get/got airplay on the radio and MTV throughout his career. I even like some of the album tracks that never played on the airways. But I am unmoved by many of his songs and find some to be weird. Besides some of his classic albums from the '70s and early-mid '80s, the only albums I really enjoy from beginning to end are his last two (The Next Day and Blackstar.) Because of not liking everything by him, I tend to listen to David Bowie compilations rather than entire albums when I want my David Bowie fix.

As for '80s thrash bands, I love many of them but two of the big 4 I can't stand. I don't like Anthrax and Slayer. When I tell people I like '80s Thrash and then tell them I don't care for Anthrax and Slayer, they say "How can you be a fan of Thrash if you don't like Anthrax and Slayer?" What turns me off on those two are the vocals. I like the musicianship of those two, especially Slayer, but the vocals ruin it for both. Prefer Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Testament and a handful of other '80s Thrash bands over them. (Note: Some people think Megadeth's Dave Mustaine's nasally vocals to be a turnoff, but I find them to be distinctive and fits their style of play.)

There are probably a few more artists out there who I should like more but don't for one reason or another.

11. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

U2
    Beyonce
    David Hasselhoff

12. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

The Beatles
    The Who
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It's a bit different for me being a Marc Bolan fan.
    People assume that I should be a big fan of both, but I'm not that into Bowie and only know some of his music.
    I respect him (esp. for what he has done for Marc's son after Marc died).

Darryl

Lightworker likes this.
  14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

From the Bands you listed the only one I have in my collection is The Beach Boys (and it took awhile to add them to my collection.
    I didn't want to be just limited to the surf/car songs. I didn't consider them until I started listening to other areas of theirs.
    As for The Beatles...I hear their stuff everyday on the radio (same with Rolling Stones).
    When add a band to my collection that includes solo projects. For me it's all or nothing.
    That brings us to the 3rd band you mentioned...Nirvana.
    For most folks it's either 'love 'em' or 'hate 'em'
    I never like to use the word hate ('not my cup of tea' is more like it).

Darryl

15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently on a Spinners kick.

Darryl

sixelsix likes this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Bill Nelson
    Nick Drake
    Richard and Linda Thompson
    The Faces/Small Faces
    Joni Mitchell
    The Band
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Nick Drake absolutely blew me away the first time I heard him and I soon got all his music and became a big fan. More than once since then I've had someone say, "Well you must like Richard Thompson too". Problem is that I don't. He's not bad or anything, but his stuff has just never bowled me over. I don't think he sounds anything like Nick Drake either.

rogermcnally and Moshe like this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

2 more bands I never really got into...
    Hollies
    Kinks

Darryl

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm going to try out more artists and groups I only have a passing interest in, to see if I like some of their other stuff (enough to add it to my collection).
    Mostly it will be a process of elimination. Only the strongest will survive. Then I have to listen constantly (non-stop) to the music for at least a week (perhaps more) and still want to hear more
    Some ideas are...
    1950s

The Platters
    The Drifters

1960s
    Hollies
    Kinks
    Lovin' Spoonful
    Grass Roots
    Association

1970s
    Tony Orlando & Dawn
    5th Dimention
    Andy Kim
    Jim Croce
    Bread
    America

1980s
    Air Supply
    Christopher Cross

Darryl

20. bpwlogan

bpwlogan Member

Bruce Springsteen
    Traffic
    Eric Clapton(solo)
    Rush

Much respect for these artists, but their music just isn't my cup of tea.

21. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

The kinks is easily the best artist in this group, All you have to do is just listen to their music and you will be hooked.

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Actually from the 60s I was thinking about 'The Hollies' (which would also lead to CSN), but I'm willing to give everyone on the list a fair chance). I'm a fan of vocal harmonies, so there's that to consider.
    Will be giving everybody on the list a fair listen. I hope to adding more, just one at a time.

Darryl

Favre508 likes this.
  23. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

For me it's Rush. I'm a musician, and consider myself a "musician's musician". I've studied theory, I appreciate music that goes beyond the typical 4/4 time, music that incorporates elements that only a musician would appreciate. Much like the band in my avatar, Big Wreck. And I think that's what people appreciate in Rush. But I just can't get into them. Believe me, I have tried. And my friends think I'm nuts for not liking them, but I just don't.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I can see where you are coming from. Maybe you are trying to hard.
    I know that it makes it more difficult to get into someone the harder I try.

Darryl

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just getting into The Hollies on my vacation & the only I only have ONJ covering 'The Air That I Breathe' on my iPod.
    Been listening to stuff on YT to get my Hollies fix. This Also branches out to CSN.
    Can't wait to get back home to pick up some Hollies/CSN CDs.

Darryl