MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I have some 2016 pressings, most seem ok....but not all. I dont generally buy used records either....its 90 odd percent new records i buy. I havent bought any used MFSL.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Maybe it's an effect of the lighting, but this doesn't look to me like the problem described in this thread. I encountered the defective sleeves myself with records that MOFI put out several years ago, and they looked much worse; they looked powder coated in a white film, and just picking up the sleeved record would leave finger-print-sized impressions on the vinyl. To me, your photos look like something that would've happened at the pressing plant.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Are those scratches in the first picture, or residue that comes off? I haven't had any issues with mofi inners, but I've returned a couple of mofi discs that didn't seem to be manufactured well.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. If Rich is handling the properly, then it must be the pressing plant doing the damage.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No, not scratches....pretty light marks either from inner sleeve or manufacture. They look worse in the picture.

6. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I pulled out an album I haven't played in a long time and guess what, it looked like it was used in the making of Scarface. I guess I have to go through and find the other 49 sleeves in my collection that are effected by the white powder issue as I know all the albums I owned in the 80s I gave way so this must be due to the MoFi sleeves. How many hours does it take to clean 50 records! So pissed. I hope it is only one bad batch as I bought at least 100 sleeves.

richbdd01 likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Gotta be careful than those pesky hidden vinyl shards arent scratching your mfsl album. Every once in awhile a little sharp piece of vinyl is floating around in the sleeve and when you initially pull the lp out it scrapes the vinyl.

I carefully open the inner sleeves and turn the whole thing upside down while gently shaking before I pull a mfsl, AP, MM etc album out of its inner sleeve. Then I inspect the inner sleeve to make sure there isnt a shard of vinyl still in the sleeve.

Id say 2 out of 10 have these little bits of vinyl in the sleeve.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Why do you assume it's the sleeves? Look like handling scratches when pressed at RTI. I have had zero issues with the Mo-Fi sleeves and think the powder issue was a batch made years ago. I have heard same nonesense with hard sleeves and get as many scratched records in poly lined paper sleeves. The only bad MFSL pressing I had in the last year or two was a Brothers In Arms 45 rpm where damage was caused by loose trimming shards that got into the sleeve.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The residue/marks on that LP is from the sleeves...

You keep going on about the batch made 'years ago' so why are they still in circulation...?

10. Classicrock

Well I and others aren't getting them. Perhaps you should change your supplier.

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Still some will deny that it is still an issue EVEN if you post photos...

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You might write mfsl.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What? Does that even make sense? If they're sealed, it doesnt matter who sells them...RTI presses them, they have stock of the sleeves and then it gets sealed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  14. Classicrock

Was talking about the packs of sleeves. I haven't noticed bad sleeves on the MFSL records purchased. I checked some in 2012 when there was all the fuss and may have spotted a trace of powder on one LP.

15. Gabe Walters

I looked at your photos and considered them. I don't see white powder. I see haziness and some streaking.

The white powder this thread is about is very noticeable. It will come off on your hands.

I've also had other records that were pressed at RTI that had the same general haziness as the records in your photos, but that came in those generic plastic sleeves that RTI typically uses.

You've proved there's something on the surface of your records. You haven't proved it was caused by MFSL sleeves.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am surprised by this reaction too. To me, it is clear that the problem has not been resolved yet.

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. piffinainteasy

piffinainteasy New Member

so im just going to post this here as i have had similar experiences. here are some photos of an album i only listened to once before trying this out: MFSL sleeves

i originally had some bad scratching on Diskeeper sleeves and replaced them with MoFi sleeves. after cleaning some albums i swore i noticed the same marks being left behind from the MOFI sleeves. so i took this album, gave it a clean and then just placed in a MOFI sleeve, pulled in and out a couple times and wound up with these hairline scratches. photos show same spots before and after with noticeable results.

i've since held off on using these sleeves except for older albums that come with worn papersleeves. id like to find some of those poly lined paper sleeves as ive always enjoyed how those held up and handled the records.

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Been using them for years without issue.

mikeyt and Long Live Analog like this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What is it caused by if theyre pretty much brand new, in the case of this Cars record?

I dont notice this on any other records pressed at RTI.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That record shows, to a much greater degree, what i have experienced. I have, fortunately, removed the records before too much damage was caused. But, in essence, there are two reasons i dont like these sleeves....hairline scratches and 'residue' or marks. You can see clearly on my photos where the record has been removed from the sleeve and made contact.

The QRP sleeves dont leave the haze or any kind of residue whatsover, however they do leave hairlines like the Mofi sleeves. Another reason i change these aswell. Maybe its something that seems to be inherent in these type of sleeves? They stick to the record, providing an intimate contact. i honestly couldnt say if its the material or not...?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I never thought of this, but it makes sense. Good advice! Now I just have to remember this when I excitedly open my next new LP.

mpayan and timztunz like this.
  22. Gabe Walters

I would guess either the equipment at RTI or mishandling by one of the employees there. But that's just a guess. I don't know what caused the issue on your copy, but it does look different to me from the powder I had from MFSL sleeves several years back.

Have you tried cleaning it, and did the haziness come off at all?

23. piffinainteasy

piffinainteasy New Member

oh it certainly shows and ill never forget the moment i first noticed it on a brand new and freshly cleaned At The Drive In album. was super pissed as it all happened right after cleaning, storing and playing within an hour.

i will say, i have some other records that were new, cleaned and put in those sleeves and have nowhere near the marks the album in the pictures show. i read somewhere a while back it could have to do with the specific type of material in the record(although i would think they're using same materials, but also would think theres different types of pellets/pucks that can vary in raw material?) that may cause certain pressings to be more vulnerable. a few records are still as pristine as they were before going into these sleeves. both the pictured album and the At The Drive In album appear to be a bit shinier and greasier albums compared to others, not sure as to why.

either way, i have basically talked myself away from using these sleeves, especially on albums i truly cherish. aside from dust and paper residue from some albums, i really don't find some paper sleeves to be that awful that id risk scratching them with these MOFI sleeves or Diskeeper for that matter. I'm still unsure on what to buy next, but probably some sorta poly lined sleeve or rice paper or whatever. sucks cause a decent cleaning on the RCM does really clean them up well but almost seems silly to just put back in a paper sleeve.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Honestly you should just get some regular poly lined paper sleeves. I have no issues with these whatsoever. Either that or the 'onion skinned' type of paper sleeve. It will save you both the hassle and the money! :)

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Nope, all the mofi sleeves ive had that were 'faulty' exhibited a similar trait of leaving these marks and a similar residue effect.