Micro scratches with Sleeve city diskkeeper

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 12" 45rpm, Mar 2, 2017.

1. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using these sleeves for the past year:

Audiophile inner record sleeve available in packs of 50

The quality is great but I notice some very faint micro scratches on records that I bought Mint/sealed. The scratches are not audible. Am I putting them in the sleeve wrong or is this a known issue with them? Below is a picture of some of the scratches:

[​IMG]

Preppyguy and melstapler like this.
  2. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I've stopped buying anymore of these since I found what appear to be hard spots, between the layers. I went back to the equivalent mobile fidelity sleeve, and now use those exclusively.

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Yep, I've had the same issue. If you run your hand over the top of the sleeve you can feel that there are some rough particles imbedded in the plastic that cause this. Here's a picture I posted in another thread that shows what happened when a NM record was put in a Sleeve City inner without separating and opening the inner first.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Lucca90, melstapler, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  4. resonated

resonated Forum Resident

Craziness. Use diskeeper sleeves exclusively and am very paranoid/attentive about microscratches on my records. Never experienced anything like this.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Same. I'm surprised to see these pics.

6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Interesting, as I've been using these sleeves as well. I'll need to give my LPs a gander again to see if they have such defects.

luckybaer likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I never drop LPs into a sleeve. I also do my best to slide them in or out with the least contact against the inner as I do it. I've always done this, whatever the sleeve material.

8. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Yup. I bought 150 Disk keepers to replace the defective MoFi sleeves that left cleanable marks. I then had to replace the 150 Diskeeper sleeves that left permanent (albeit inaudible marks) with new MoFi sleeves. Fun times.

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Drop? Who said drop? Proper inner sleeve material should never scratch a record no matter how inserted. See the discontinued VRP inner sleeves the Diskeepers are based on.

richbdd01 and hvbias like this.
  10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

dcarwin likes this.
  11. piffinainteasy

piffinainteasy New Member

nope. check the MOFI sleeve issue thread, this was my post on there with some pictures and MOFI sleeves doing some damage as well

12. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Yeah, now I'm wondering about the Ultimate Inners as well. Anyone have this problem with those?

Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

IME most of the modern rice paper inner sleeves do this. I don't think it's because there is something embedded in the plastic I think the surfaces of vinyl (combined with a revealing light) are just susceptible to very superficial marks and the material in those sleeves is not that soft. The ones that do it the least are the ones from Bags Unlimited but I had a large batch from them where the sleeves were way off in dimensions.

The Hunt EDA brushes will also do this.

14. piffinainteasy

its just one after another ha. the hunt continues.

just put in for a bunch of samples from sleeve city...hoping their ultimate audiophile or polylined paper sleeves are better than the 2.0 anti static ones

15. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Haven't yet - but then, I also do this….

Matt Starr likes this.
  16. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Nice. Same here and I've never had the issue either.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven't seen this either, and I have thousands of them in use. Have you tried contacting them about it?

Matt Starr likes this.
  18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I probably worded it wrong when I said "embedded in the plastic", a more accurate description would be that the plastic material has a rough surface with little sand-like bumps. Unlike the older "rice-paper" style sleeves, like those often found on Japanese records, that were perfectly smooth.

hvbias likes this.
  19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Yeah, twice, with photos. They responded by saying they don't see any problem and sent a replacement pack that was the same. The Diskeeper inner sleeves made right before they added the logo were great, after that they got spotty and seemed to have changed vendors and/or materials.

20. piffinainteasy

i had after i noticed the scuffs on my records, gave me a refund at least and did admit to some form of a problem with a certain batch. they were rather vague and could have been just brushing me off or maybe they do realize its a common problem but haven't done anything about it

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - I have at least 200 of my records in these. Never had any issues.....that I know of. Now this thread is making me nervous....

BuddhaBob and melstapler like this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I've never had a problem with the square or round bottomed ones.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have the older ones without logo and newer with logo and arrows pointing at the opening, I'll have a feel to see if I can see a difference. I always thought it was the stiffiness combined rougher material that did it. But then again none of the modern rice paper sleeves feel that soft to my touch compared to something like those old Pallas sleeves which are almost waxy and have little friction.

Just curious what sleeves you feel are the least abrasive?

On some of them I will only notice the hairlines after dozens of use. But it is still disappointing since you have to mention them and possibly grade down.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I store my sleeves in the jacket with the opening facing the top of the record.
    I completely remove the inner sleeve, and with one hand reach all the way in to the middle of the record....propping the sleeve open with my hand at the same time. There's just no way to get these kind of abrasion marks going in or out because I'm not letting the sleeve slide flat against the record surface. Putting the record away, I basically do the opposite. The sleeve is propped open so it doesn't slide against the record.
    So, let me ask you guys this...how are you storing your sleeves in the record jackets?
    If it's with the opening of the sleeve out, perhaps it's causing more abrasion?

:shrug:

dkmonroe and kronning like this.
  25. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

After 4 packs of the Ultimate's no issues...