Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Regarding whether the vinyl will be analog or digital remastering. A mate of mine asked Studio 301 in Sydney where the mastering engineer Steve Smart works. Following is their answer.

I have my vinyl box on order, so fingers crossed they are an improvement on my Aussie original pressings. I am sure Place Without a Postcard can be better. Looking forward to see them live in Sydney.

bferr1 and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  2. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Are people in the USA bitchiing about paying $33 to see the Oils live? LMFAO. That is cheap!!!!

Cheapest tickets to the Sydney show in their own city is around US $75

Bonddm likes this.
  3. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

No. Don't think so.

Agreed + Oz prices seem cheap too, given the cost of living in one of the world's most expensive cities. And this is why you get heavy-duty scalping, because the tickets are priced at a substantial discount to market.

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

"The news is largely positive! Kudos to Studios 301 for such a quick response which in part, went as follows:

"In most cases, Steve has done an analogue master from the original tapes, although there were a few albums that the original multi-track reels were not available for."

The comment was also made that Steve is a big advocate of analogue mastering."

It would be nice if these new masterings were used for the CDs as well. I'm not holding my breath, though. I'm fairly certain the CDs will use the compressed masterings of a few years ago seeing that CDs are the bastard step-child of the audio world these days.

5. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Whoah whoah whoah. Did I miss something? Did our host remaster their catalog???????

6. DetroitDoomsayer

I'm fairly certain they are referring to Steve Smart who is employed at Studios 301 in Sydney Australia.

7. shirtandtie

Ohhhhh OK. I thought my head was jumping somewhere else.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It'll be $50 after the fees. The pre-sales and onsales were a scam that left confused fans looking at $200 tickets on stubhub just to get in the door. Live nation simply puts 25% of all tickets to certain tours on stubhub.

9. After the Ian Hunter set, these sets are a bit too rich for my blood. I'd love to pick it up but I really want to know how these are mastered especially compared to the previous remasters.

Unfortunately, I missed the presale date for the show in Oakland, CA for decent seats. I asked my wife and she isn't interested in going which is unfortunate. I may go stag but was hoping she would be interested.

10. SoundAdvice

Vancouver got moved to a 4,000 capacity outdoor venue in Stanley Park instead of a 1,000 club.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Still not sure why you can buy up to 6 tickets for this gig.

12. SoundAdvice

Maybe Midnight Oil and the promoters wanted to play some bigger venues in North America, but wanted to create "buzz" beforehand.

13. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

The thought has crossed my mind, but it's a kinda risky strategy if the end up playing 3/4 empty halls. Whatever happened, I love them and hope they play to packed houses in the US. Much better band than they seem to be remembered as over here in the states. One of the most powerful live shows I've ever seen.

14. SoundAdvice

3/4 sold only looks bad in seated venues.

Keep in mind that if Live Nation is fulleling tickets to secondary, they still get to keep proceeds they got from sold out club tickets sold to desperate fans.

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The description of the CD box is not encouraging, as far as including all-new remasters: "Each album has been digitally remastered over recent years..."

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

What I'm thinking also. The digital ones they did 2008 etc... laid to disc

bferr1 likes this.
  17. DetroitDoomsayer

Yeah, I've seen the description. I'm just hoping the new analogue masters that have apparently been done for the LP box will be used for new CDs as well. I'm not purchasing anything until someone can verify that the new discs use the new LP masters.

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Understood. And I'm hoping the new masters might be used for hi-res downloads (if any are offered). Given the prices we're seeing on the CD and LP boxes, I would strongly consider hi-res if the price and mastering was right.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  19. shirtandtie

Has anybody found a track list for the bonus discs yet?

c-eling likes this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

I'll let you guinea pig it Bferr, I'd hate to add it to the Box Set regrets thread :laugh:

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Does Amazon UK have a bad history?

23. c-eling

No :laugh:
    Talking about me waiting on reviews

24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Gotcha. I misunderstood, thinking the "Box Set regrets thread" was full of shipping horror stories...

25. c-eling

I personally have had no problems with Amazon UK or Germany. Sturdy shippers etc :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.