Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Maybe on the surface, but I am an obsessive compulsive music lover and cannot find a program better. You name it chances are 75% or better that iTunes can do it. Other than Flac and complex batch tagging, much of which can be done with Doug's Scripts.

I think there is a lot of baseline hyperbole in this thread of folks who plain hate apple and maybe tried iTunes a handful of times and walked away without digging in. Kinda like Amazon reviews :)

I will give you that for some it's a rough go in the Windows world, but not as horrible and insurmountable as some make it seem.

willy and wavethatflag like this.
  2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Oh yes, I have to add that: I tweaked all the bits iTunes doesn't have by default (mainly tag-features) with having Doug's AppleScripts there.

3. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Doug's Scripts Rock!!!

mindgames likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It might be that my lack of issues with iTunes over the years is based first on the fact I'm in the Mac environment and that I think I've kept my tagging needs to what I would consider fairly simple categories. Along with that I have few Classical genre titles which I can see being the most complex of tagging requirements with the amount of information one might want available about a performance. In all honesty I do use JRiver primarily but still completely maintain my iTunes library with about 2200 albums/24000 songs.

billnunan and macdaddysinfo like this.
  5. Jerrvonkramer

Jerrvonkramer Well-Known Member

I am convinced the best media player and organiser was Windows Media Player 9.0

That was awesome. I recited updating it for years and years until I had to get a new PC and there was no way to go back before 11.0

Like everyone else, I use iTunes but hate it. WMP 9.0 did EVERYTHING better. It's all over-engineered now.

6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I got tired of iTunes, uninstalled. I'm mostly using Windows Media Player in Windows 10 to sync songs to my Fiio X1. Purchases I either get the CD and make a rip, or I go on 7Digital as I can also access this under my Linux partition. It seems like ever since version 10.7, it has just been getting more annoying/confusing with all the cloud and Apple Music integrations. I like that Windows Media Player can now read/play FLAC files natively and I can just drag/drop the ones I want, hit sync, and then go do something while I wait for the files to transfer.

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

iTunes is just where I import my own music (cds and cdrs), never have bought music from the iTunes store, never have upgraded the program version
    (although it keeps prompting me to upgrade...) I just put my music on there, and sync my iPod. And, of course, I back up my iTunes library on an external drive.
    Works fine.

8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I'm forced to have iTunes on my PC, because I also have an iPad 4. I'm sick of it trying to force me to accept it as the default music player each time I upgrade iTunes, even though I answer 'Never ask this question again' each time.

MusicBee is now the default music player. I especially like how it sets up a slide show of the graphic files I put into the same directory as the music files.

Tuco likes this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

iTunes is not a bad idea/software, but it has too many flaws, imho:

-the use of dedicated codecs. iTunes doesn't handle FLAC but wants you to use ALAC instead. Major flaw since I'm not going to re-encode my 2 TB FLAC collection.
    -the store doesn't sell lossless music. This is unacceptable. We're in 2017, not in 1997.

Finally I'm using MediaMonkey instead, which is just like iTunes but with FLAC capabilities (and you can customise the user interface and display).

10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I don't use it much for buying music anymore but the Itunes store is great for downloading movies, tv shows and podcasts.

11. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Enjoy it

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I used to like it. Up until about v 8 or 9. But v6 was the best. By the time they redesigned it for v12, I hate it. A mess. When they removed the standard 3 column browser and the ability to search for or filter a band's albums on my connected iPod, then iTunes hit an all time low*.

Trouble is there is no alternative for the Mac that id worth having, imo.

*Luckily, the other day I found the hidden feature that make it possible to easily access and control my iPod library whilst it is plugged it to the Mac. I have not see this written about anywhere.

a. find the connected iPod(s) icon in the upper top left of the window (not in the left-hand list).
    b. Click it (double click?) and get a full 3 column traditional music browser showing what is on the iPOD that let's you select all the album by one band, for example.

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I have no intention of ever upgrading from version 10. Tried version 11 a couple of years ago and it was awful so reverted back to 10 and made sure to never update again!

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I presume you are also using OS X 10.6.8? I do at home and really like it, but at work I had to get a new Mac with Sierra (for xcoding) so, I have to use iTunes 12.x there.

15. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

iTunes let's me control the media library on my iPhone over Wi-Fi so it's a no brainer for me.... Never need to plug in or anything....

If I didn't have Apple iPhone then I'd prob not use it.

All my other DAP's (Sony/XDUOO) I just organize all my music on dedicated internal drive and transfer as needed (Wish I could do wi-fi like iTunes)

16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

No I'm on Windows 10, and my 160GB iPod Classic (still going strong!) has no issues with using iTunes V10.

17. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I use iTunes all the time on a laptop that's never connected to the Internet. I don't think I've upgraded it in many years. No need to far as I can tell. I use it exactly the same way I used to use my boombox ... as a portable music player. If I'm working in the garage or in the garden I can have my music to enjoy. With 10,000+ songs and shuffle enabled, I have the best "radio station" I can imagine. No commercials and there's always a song playing that I know I'm going to like.

Like many here, I have never purchased a single tune from Apple. All my music is ripped from my CDs or digitized from my vinyl collection. Never had a problem with the program. I use it on a Windows machine too. No external speakers either ... the built-in speakers sound awesome. Plenty loud too.

willy and GMcGilli like this.
  18. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Hate hate hate it.
    And I love Apple....

19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Hate it
    Hate the control freak corporation too
    Greed greed greed....

patient_ot likes this.
  20. I've been using that for some time. It's a nice option to have for the computer. A pity they never really addressed it I just found it by messing about.

mr.datsun likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's one of the things many have complained about – and there it was all the time(?) So, yes – why the hell didn't they tell anyone? :)

22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Like the player- still a couple of versions behind on my old Windows XP laptop and that's fine by me as it's primarily a place to catalogue and sort my digital music and burn the odd CD. My only gripe is that it doesn't separate the co-composers as individual names (i.e. In the composers column browser you can only search by a song's actual composers, and not by each contributor individually).

It's also my primary music player in the office (with Google Play and a Crosley turntable after), but I can't say I've ever tried anything else as I like the ease of iTunes. Rarely use the store, though.

Out of curiosity, is there another player that will read the sorting fields I've added to my iTunes library? For example I've used the sort field to display the artist name correctly but list it by surname (i.e. Stevie Wonder displays as Stevie Wonder, but is sorted under 'W'). That took me months to do and I don't want to have to do that all over again if I change players.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Three column browser is still there if you choose "songs"rather than artists or albums from the left hand column.

24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think as an organizer for my computer music library, it's passable.

I like having that and a file converter built in.

I also like quite a bit of the 'internet radio' stations that are built in.

I don't like that they keep f**king with it in annoying ways (as in moving things around).

And I find the store has become an unwieldy mess.

mr.datsun likes this.
  25. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I've given up on iTunes for Windos due to accessibility issues. Foobar is perfect despite not having a clue how to customise it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.