New HBO series, "Vinyl"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by geoffr, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I miss Enlightened as well as Bored To Death.

Plinko likes this.
  2. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Yes Bored to Death was good as was Huff.

Chad

Plinko likes this.
  3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I am reading "The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun," by Robert Greenfield. On pages 346-347, there is a description of how on October 28, 2006:

"Craig Kallman called Ahmet to update him on a project that they had first discussed some months earlier. Inspired by 'The Sopranos' and 'Entourage', Kallman had pitched Ahmet on the idea of creating 'a well-done dramatic series about the music business' that would deal with 'sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, the Mafia, and every figure in the business' with Ahmet as the central character. Confident he 'could get the show on the air' if it was done right, Kallman then contacted Taylor Hackford, who had already pitched HBO on a miniseries about Atlantic Records only to decide he could not do justice to the material in so limited a format. The two decided to become producing partners in 'a full-blown dramatic hour-long scripted cable show' that would run over seven seasons and cover Ahmet's entire career. Informed of Hackford's involvement, Ahmet joked, 'Make sure you do a better job on me than 'Ray'.'

When Kallman spoke to Ahmet that afternoon, he told him of his most recent conversations with Hackford and then said, 'Listen, we've just been getting into how much poetic license we have.' He said, "Craig, you can make up whatever you want. I'll say it's true.' It was so Ahmet. I was laughing and we had a great conversation."

So this project was being discussed in 2006, apparently.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Damn, I just finished watching all 10 Episodes, and now I’m hurting for more! What shame. Like u said, it finds its groove (tongue in cheek), but it really was that good!

5. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I am not a fan of the majority of Hollywood, so it is no surprise that I found it unrealistic, cliched, and way over the top.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched season 1 blu ray.
    Was vinyly glad when it ended,
    A drama wrapped in musical history.
    Liked Manny Ice Age Ray Romano.
    Hated the fifties Buddy Holly etc..song references. Disco bit was not bad, did they have twin Dj decks in 1973( don't think so). Nasty Bits, nasty.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Gavinyl likes this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    DJ Kool Herc, 1973.

George P, Vidiot, tkl7 and 3 others like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Two decks, but not twindeck.

Heck I had two decks in'73.

9. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I read a lot of negative comments but I decided to binge-watch Vinyl on Blu-ray this week...absolutely loved it. Fantastic cinematography, strong performances...a brilliant season. It's a pity that it got cancelled.

Mychkine, Darksolstice, mlew and 4 others like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought it would get at least another season. But the viewing figures were pretty bad considering.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

cancelled? damn! it had its problems but was really interesting.... that sucks.

13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

:edthumbs:

It was a piece of crap that insulted many of the fine people I know who worked in the industry at the time depicting them or alluding that they were all high almost all the time screwing around. Not one person who worked in the industry liked the BS series that it was.

It was History? Maybe alternate History.

Scott222C, chacha and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  14. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Who would want to watch a show about nice folks who when they go on a drinking binge, it's milkshakes? It's got to be naughty!

16. I was hoping it'd get another season so we could see if the producers learned from their mistakes and focused on the music biz and its inherent dramas, without those doofy musical interludes and subplots cribbed from Mob movies. Oh well. As has been said, the viewing numbers must've been really dismal for them to walk away after all the sunk costs and having already announced a second season.

eddiel likes this.
  17. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

"Heading into its final episode of Season 1, the show is averaging 635,000 viewers per episode."

How 'Vinyl's' Season 1 Ratings Stack Up Against Other HBO Shows (Photos)

HBO's Bored To Death (loved that show) averaged 770,000 viewers per episode (season 1) and got cancelled after three seasons (averaged 225,000 viewers in season 3).

Bored to Death canceled, no season four

18. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

chacha, RoyalScam and Spadeygrove like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You know your numbers must be bad when they first announce and then change their minds on a new season. But I think the cost per ep added to the problem. IIRC the head of HBO (or someone high up) said they didn't think they could turn it around enough to make it viable. Which I took to mean, they couldn't see a new creative direction that would increase those viewing figures significantly to justify the cost per ep, which, I believe was at least a million.

I agree with you on those musical interludes. They felt pointless. That Mob sub plot stuff wasn't necessary either. To me if felt like an easy and cheap attempt to increase the drama.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I was never supposed to be history was it? it was jus using those musical moments to propel its story

Mychkine likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My joke is usually, "there are paint infomercials that get a bigger rating than 500,000 at 3AM."

I believe they were spending upwards of $6 million per episode on this show. The 2-hour pilot for Vinyl cost an unbelievable $30 million, which was the most expensive pilot in the history of television. Total cost for 11 episodes plus the pilot was a whopping $100 million dollars.

HBO's High-Class Problems: $100M 'Vinyl' Disappoints Amid 'Westworld,' David Fincher Woes

Dudley Morris and eddiel like this.
  22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'd say they spent it on real coke for verisimilitude, except that no one on earth has ever had the reaction to ingesting some that Bobby Cannevale's character did every time.

Vidiot, Dudley Morris and eddiel like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol.

I'd love to see the P&L on that. How did they spend that much on a pilot and all that over 11 eps? The music must have cost them but where did the money go?

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You know what I can't understand? I bet virtually everyone involved had done coke at some point in their lives or been around people who did it. Definitely Scorsese and Jagger...and at no point not one person said, "No one reacts that way"? Not even Jagger or Scorsese? I can't imagine either of them watching those scenes and not thinking "This looks stupid." You're telling me Bobby Cannavale bought it? No way.

Those scenes were cringe worthy.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Eddiel: True, but it was TV, and things are often not portrayed realistically on TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.