Ryan Adams - "Cold Roses" vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-5546-ryan-adams-cold-roses-limited-edition-180g-2lp.aspx

Just saw this at my local store. Didn't pick it up yet because it's on Lost Highway and their reissue of "Gold" on clear vinyl wasn't that great. Ryan said it wasn't mastered for vinyl, sounded like crap, and wasn't endorsed by him.

This "Cold Roses" is 180 grams, which "Gold" wasn't and it had a sticker saying "audiophile pressing," which "Gold" didn't.

So there's hope.

Includes the bonus track "Tonight."

Greg Gee likes this.
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I've been wanting to pick this one up, but I''m a little wary of anything from Lost Highway. I have the Gold pressing and I'm not a fan.

Tonight is a really great song, though.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Is this really a reissue? Because as much as I remember this has always been available. I bought mine in 2008, it has a great embossed gatefold cover. This "180 Gr" sticker turned up on a lot of original pressings of Ryan Adams albums by Lost Highway, "Rock N Roll", "Jacksonville" and "29" had it too.

Haven't played my copy in a while but I don't remember any issues with the way it sounded while I clearly remember "29" being a bit on the (surface) noisy side.

4. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Hmmm. I've had my Lost Highway LP for about a year. The gatefold cover is very nice, but mine is not "embossed" which I take to mean textured to match the graphics in some way. My cover has nice rich color, but is shiny, flat, and without any textured surface. It has the bonus track "Tonight" on side 4 as well.

The vinyl is slightly off center, but not to the point that it affects sound. It sounds very nice, definitely better than my CD copy. Certain Adams (Gold) and Lucinda Williams LP's I have on Lost Highway are worse with being off center, noisy and with some warp in the platter.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow....then this IS a reissue because the original has the roses totally embossed. Like "The World That Summer" by Death In June. If anyone knows what I'm talking about ;)

6. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Mine without the embossing is a Lost Highway B0004343. I also see what looks like a cursive letter "u" with a circle around it if anyone knows what that might indicate.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The "u" is pressed at United Pressing Plant (Nashville, TN).

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just repurchased this on the new, embossed reissue because my original pressing was noisy and distorted. Well, things haven't improved much. Listening to side 2 right now, and it has some definite rough patches. This is a black one. Apparently there were smooth jacket reissues (which I avoided) and clear or colored vinyl. So this would be the fourth pressing. And Lost Highway still hasn't apparently learned how to press a record.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think I have the non-embossed second printing. But it seems like not worth the while of picking up the newest embossed.

Why couldn't AP or MFSL tackle this one...it deserves it!

seed_drill and Henry Please like this.
  10. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Somewhat related... I finally got around to ordering the Follow the Light EP on vinyl from Amazon this week. I expected per discogs that this would be cut by Wes Garland, and pressed at United (a crapshoot). Much to my surprise it was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at Pallas! Just terrific...

I wonder if Lost Highway is doing a quiet reissue of these titles? Has anyone bought a recent copy of Cold Roses?

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I have. Nothing special. Sounds like I got the same version as seed_drill in post 8 above.

12. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Well I had a hunch and ordered Cold Roses from Amazon last week. It was back-ordered and finally delivered today. As soon as I pulled out the nice paper/lined inner sleeves, I was convinced. Yep, Chris Bellman, pressed at Pallas. Sounds tremendous! I think all of these Lost Highway releases are being re-cut!

13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Could you post some details please?
    Catalogue numbers etcetera.

14. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
    Cold Roses
    Black vinyl
    Textured cover
    Hype sticker on cover: 180 Gram Vinyl , Lost Highway, Audiophile Pressing, STDD180GRM ST01.

Catalog on spine: B0004343-01

Deadwax:

Side 1:
    Etched: B0004340-1-LP1-A CB
    Stamped: 39865 P. USA

Side 2:
    Etched: B0004340-1-LP1-B CB
    Stamped: 39865 P. USA

Side 3:
    Etched: B0004340-1-LP2-A CB
    Stamped: 39866 P. USA

Side 4:
    Etched: B0004340-1-LP2-B CB
    Stamped: 39866 P. USA

Paully and bibijeebies like this.
  15. danielm

danielm Forum Resident

When you say the sleeves appear better quality, can you give me an example? The original repress was pretty **** and paper flaked all over the vinyl.

16. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Poly lined paper sleeves.

bibijeebies likes this.
  17. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

My Cold Roses just arrived from Amazon after being on back order. It is the Bellman cut. Someone's gotta take the plunge on Jacksonville City Nights and others.

ramdom and Johnny Wong like this.
  18. bibijeebies

But why NO inner sleeves? I do not understand.

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ok I'm really intrigued by these.

20. noiseannoys

noiseannoys Member

I spotted a copy of "29" recently with a "Pressed at Pallas" sticker, passed, but may have to pick it up.

FWIW I have a copy of Cold Roses with an embossed cover, two really thick records that I've had for probably 10 years. No CB, has a circle "U" in the deadwax, and certainly sounds way better than any other Lost Highway LP I own.

Count me in if Gold gets a CB cut though. Mine sounds really dull.

Also, for what it's worth, Lost Highway as a label itself no longer exists. Universal (I think) owns the rights to that stuff.

kozy814 likes this.
  21. bibijeebies

The new Gold 2017 is a CB cut.

jumpinjulian and Johnny Wong like this.
  22. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

It has inner sleeves. They are paper with poly lining...

23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Excuse my ignorance - but where are you guys seeing these?
    I have a bunch of RA records that I may be interested in repurchasing if this new batch is getting good reviews. I'll certainly pick up Gold and Jacksonville City Nights, I don't yet have either on vinyl.

24. bibijeebies

Are you kidding me? The original had printed inners.

25. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

Will Love is Hell get a repress ? The MFSL is probably great but bit pricey for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.