Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Oh, I forgot another tell-tale sign: the green colour of the title on the CD doesn't fit in the letters exactly, it's printed a little off.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A well respected man likes this.
  3. A well respected man

Ok, this is an image of the booklet. You can see blue ink stains from the digipack holder.

[​IMG]

On the CD you can see how the color green of the title bleeds out of the letters:

[​IMG]

And the photos in the booklet seem to have a poor quality:

[​IMG]

Johnny Reb likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If the European copies of this CD are like the USA version, then it is a fake.
    First off, there are NO staples in the side of the package. In the USA, the CD sleeve is a cardboard digipak that does NOT require any staples.
    Next, the USA copy of the CD does NOT have any writing above the words "The Beatles" at the top. Your copy has the copyright info right above the words "The Beatles".

It would be good if someone with an official European copy could comment too.

A well respected man likes this.
  5. A well respected man

I may have explained myself wrong. The photo is of the booklet, which has staples. The digipack has not. The construction of the digipack is the same as the 2009 CDs, with the booklet inserted. What I meant is that those blue stains come from the contact of the booklet with the digi.

That may be another clue. Let's see if someone with a European CD can help.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh. Sorry about confusing the digipak sleeve and the booklet. Yes, the booklet does have staples.

You need a European CD to compare it to.

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'd guess that Paul's new album would have to be scheduled AFTER whatever the Sgt. Pepper release is.

8. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Jose Jones and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Interesting article. By my reading that the instruments on the new mix are actually a combination of the studio and the live performances, unless I"m totally mistinterpretting what Clarke is saying. That's a little disappointing to know.

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think you're misreading him. As I understand it, he obtains a "sonic signature" of an instrument from studio recordings which he then applies to the computer algorithm to help separate the live recording of that instrument from the surrounding din. You're never hearing the studio recording itself in the live recording.

11. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

No, rednoise above has it right. In other words they used the studio sound to "teach" the program what it should be looking for.

12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I don't think that is what the article was implying that they did. Although the article also doesn't explain why going through all of that trouble didn't get them an end result that sounds better than either of the two main recent bootleg remasters of the raw recordings. :laugh:

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i totally get the historical significance of this release and ow long people have waited for it (rarities- love songs?) however, i honestly don;t think it sounds very good at all, to the point that it is hard to listen to. but i really have to ask the following question:

when you play a beatles album, will you ever play this?

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Occasionally....I might pull it out today. I don't listen to any of the Beatles albums with much frequency. I listened to them so much in the 60's and 70's that I got a bit burned out on 'em.

tmoore likes this.
  15. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

I haven't bought this release as I prefer my original unofficial copy from the 1970's . So to answer your question I will never play this album!!!

16. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I think it sounds great. In fact, the only Beatles album I've played more in the past six months is, possibly, "Sgt. Pepper."

The only sonic drawback on the newly expanded and remixed "Hollywood Bowl" album is the screams, which are much more tolerable now but still very present in the final mix.

It probably helps that I was "conditioned" to appreciate the new album though hundreds and hundreds of hours spent listening to the inferior 1977 version of the album. This new version of the album is an absolute revelation in terms of the band's performance. I no longer look at the Hollywood Bowl recordings as a quaint artifact, but as a document of a very enjoyable, very energetic live performance.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I look at the 1977 LP as a document that shows how hard it was to hear the Beatles at a Beatles concert.

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

One wonders what sort of improvements might be made to the Star Club tracks using these methods.
    I realize the recording is very inferior to start with, but it might be a nice surprise to separate the instruments and vocals and then remix for a better sound. Sure it wouldn't be as noticeable an improvement as Hollywood Bowl, but still could be better than it is.

ted321 likes this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I hadn't listened to the Hollywood Bowl CD in about a month and a half.

I decided to put it on while doing some artwork. I couldn't draw one picture, once I heard AND NOW HERE THEY ARE THE BEATLES!
    All work ceased, and I just turned it up and rocked out!

It sounds better than it did before, maybe it was the break away from it, but OMG how absolutely hard rockin it is!

As I posted when it first came out, this is my absolute fave Beatles album!

To answer your question RJP, when I want to hear some rockin Beatles, this is the one I will always go to, so I will always be listening to this absolutely fantastic live album by the Beatles!

The screaming doesn't bother me one bit, it adds to the excitement of the Beatles rockin out!

Gardo, Vinyl_Blues, Skywheel and 3 others like this.
  20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've only listened to it once since it was released. (Has it been 6 months already? Yikes...!!) :eek:

Then again, I'm not someone who puts a newly-purchased album on permanent repeat for weeks at a time after I buy it. (I don't understand people who do that... that's how you make yourself sick of something, folks!) I listen to a new CD once and then put it away, so it will still sound fresh and exciting when I spin it again at a later date.

(Plus, I usually have a pile of other new CDs to listen to as well, so I can't focus all my attention on one particular album... the other new discs aren't going to listen to themselves!) ;)

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

When it first came out, I went to a movie theater in Bayonne NJ to see "A Hard Day's Night." Sat through it twice but didn't hear most of it. Theater was packed with screaming girls. :)

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  23. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Same here. I couldn't hear/understand the dialogue until it was first shown on TV in '67 or '68...

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Absolutely...

And I agree with maccafan's assessment of it in post # 4916: It's a rockin' album...

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

even over the horrible screaming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.