"The Honeymooners" Classic 39 One at a Time (Episode-by-Episode Thread)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I wonder why the Out door had a handle.

Everyone who's ever seen this episode and picked up a golf club has attempted a reenactment of Norton's swing!

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

In 10th grade, we had gym all year with the 'serious' teacher (tough guy who had a kid die on him years before when he fell off the rings). We 'learned' golf over the winter with wiffle golf balls , fake putting greens, etc.
    He taught us to address the ball and everything.
    The first kid that gets called up to swing, of course, quotes Ed and 75% of us fell on the floor.
    After that, every kid that gets called up, puts the ball down and addresses it. I was surprised he let it go on, by the 15th kid, it was getting old.

MMM, Benno123 and halfjapanese like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, I heard that as well

Benno123 likes this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

"The Golfer" is one of my favorite episodes. I don't think golf is as popular as it was even up to 15 years ago. I don't hear a lot of people talk about it now like they did at one time, or maybe my group of friends it has just fallen out of favor with other things. But if there is one thing I can relate to is trying to get someone to play with to have the change to get to know them better. I used to play in college and in our park at Lake Erie was a man who was a superintendent of a school system. He was a great guy, loved to party but worked seriously. He and I played golf several times and I thought getting to know him would lead to a job - or hoped it would. Helluva nice guy but I never made it past the application stage. So I can relate to Ralph's hopes and dreams in this one.

RayS and Rose River Bear like this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The Golfer is also in my top ten.
    Some of the amazing Alice lines from memory....."You can always tell him you are tiger hunting with Ali Khan".
    "I thought it was your backfield in motion".
    Norton's physical stuff is hilarious especially when he swings the club and half of his body follows through about two seconds late! This is the first episode where Ralph shakes/swivels his hips and the audience follows with a roar.
    Awesome episode.

Benno123 and RayS like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

I tried once and felt like my back was permanently out of place!

halfjapanese and Benno123 like this.
  7. Ralph: It doesn't look like I'm gonna need this lunch box much longer.
    Alice: Ralph you're going on a diet!
    Ralph: No I am not going on a diet!
    Alice: Well why won't you need this lunch box - are you getting a bigger one?

Beaglemaster, Benno123 and RayS like this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My wife and I are happily married despite the fact that I love The Honeymooners and she doesn't really care for it ("There's too much yelling..."), but even she laughs at the whole "address the ball" scene that goes on in this episode. Great stuff!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

When the job opened up, his son-in-law got it. :)

O Don Piano, davenav, JohnO and 4 others like this.
  10. RayS

So was the idea that on a 13 inch CRT TV no one would notice that Norton's lunch is cellotaped to stay together? :)

11. Rose River Bear

Good point. The tape has a shine to it.
    I push down an a oversized sub getting the idea from Norton so it would fit in one bite!
    I still do it to this day though it is tough to find a sub that is oversized!

davenav, Benno123 and RayS like this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Was this the episode that introduced the line "Your a riot Alice, a regular riot" or was it in one of the first two episodes?

davenav likes this.
  13. RayS

Not in the first 2, but I'm guessing this dates back to the lost episodes. Lots of catch phrases had come and gone already by '55, going all the way back to Pert Kelton's Alice line "I wouldn't give you the satisfaction!"

davenav and Rose River Bear like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

My wife felt that way until she saw "The Adoption" Lost Episode, then she said it all came together and made sense on why I love these characters so much.

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What I would love to see again is Jackie's intros at end of 60s Honeymooner episodes...After the "Miam Beach audience is the greatest audience in the world". Then building up slowly, Jane Keene, a little louder for Sheila McRae, then really loud for Art Carney, then "good night every body".

shunell, Benno123 and davenav like this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It may be just my imagination, but aren't those Converse, Chuck Taylor All Stars that Ralph is wearing when he gets dressed up for his "golf lesson"?

[​IMG]

Rose River Bear, davenav and RayS like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hanks talked about filming that movie with the Great One. It was apparent to everyone on the set he was dying and the entire cast and crew could not get enough of him.
    He said when he filmed the emotional scene at the end of the movie that Gleason was really looking at the real end.
    Hanks could barely get through the scene and went off and sobbed where Gleason couldn't see him.

MMM, Benno123, davenav and 1 other person like this.
  18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, but as guests go, he wasn't really that good. Carson had to ask too many questions, it was Q then A, Q then A, on and on. A good guest will really open up and Carson was good at creating that, but I thought this just didn't work that well.

Plus the chain smoking was uncomfortable, I got the feeling Gleason really didn't want to do the show.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

20. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Possibly, but they don't bear the circular ankle patch that had been on Chucks for years before this.

When I watched that scene again I noticed a flub by Carney when he bent to place the pin cushion the first time. Gleason has to command it into his hand!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    davenav likes this.
  21. RayS

All the lessons from Norton paid off. He finally got to golf with the muckety-mucks.

[​IMG]

Beaglemaster, MMM and davenav like this.
  22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This is a great thread, guys!

I have the blu-ray on order, and will join in soon!

Rose River Bear and RayS like this.
  23. RayS

Happy to have anyone from "the garden spot of the world - Brooklyn, U-S-A".

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

amazing bargain!

davenav and Rose River Bear like this.
  25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

They may have just covered up the trademark. Also, I had a friend back in the day who had a pair from the 40's. The patch was leather and barely visible. You are correct about the Gleason ad lib with the pin cushion.

davenav likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.