REL T5i vs REL T5. My opinion...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by murphythecat, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat Thread Starter

I have lived with my rel t5 for a year. I put the new REL t5i exactly at the same spot as the REL T5.

Measurements wise, the REL T5i do not measure like the REL T5. the bell curve response of the REL T5 is now replaced with ruler flat response of the T5i! the FR is literally flat where the REL T5 was a bell curve.

T5i roll off without any issue and if I put the xo setting in middle point, I get exactly -6db at 80hz and -10db at 100hz! again the T5 was a mess measuring wise compared to the T5i.

Sound:
    with both subs level matched and xo matched.

the T5i is faster, tighter, have much more body then the T5. the T5 sounds floppy, boomy, uncontrolled and slightly disconnected in comparison. the T5i Bass seems literally glued with the speakers. it sometimes feel that the T5 is adding too much bass. Im shocked by the difference. the T5i adds so much musicality, toe tapping or the feeling that you just want to listen to one last track! Bass Pitch differentiation is now perfect even at very low volume. Bass is now fully detailed, deep, controlled and clear.

T5i is never overwhelming even when I purposely boost the sub: the sound just get tighter and more bassy, but its not overwhelming or boomy. with the T5, at some point it just sounded overwhelming bassy/flappy and totally wrong. I did not expect such drastic difference, im blown away and shocked how better REL have been able to make their T5i.

when I compared the T5 with the REL S serie at the store a couple of years ago, all the improvement of the S serie that I noticed seem to have been transferred to the new Ti series!

im now serioulsy considering getting rel TOTL REL G2. I have a SHL5+ coming in, but I wouldnt be surprised if P3ESR with rel t5i may be just as good as my Shl5+. and who knows, maybe if I had totl REL to the P3ESR maybe it can outclass SHL5+? we will see... stay tuned!

Shiver, dcottrell6 and F1nut like this.
  2. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

What did you use to make measurements, and how did you do it?

3. murphythecat

a measurements mic and a soundcard. mic placed at the listneing position.
    monday ill post comparison measurements to show. but yeah, take the sound and vision measurements of the REL T5 and youll understand the bell like response. the T5i is ruler flat and sounds many times better id say. i would have happily paid 1500$ for that kind of improvement.
    very impressive that REL have been able to upgrade the Ti series with new improved drivers but keep the same price point.

4. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

OP: Definitely interested in hearing more about Rel paired with your Harbeths, especially the SHL5+ when they arrive. I have C7ES3 and I'm planning to add a Rel sub... just not sure which model. There are often used options as well. Any experience with older models like the Storm III, Strata III, etc.? Does the T5i have enough power? Is there any rule-of-thumb for subwoofer power requirements, based on either room size or amplifier, or both?

5. murphythecat

well, the rel T series cannot be used with shl5+. Even the new Ti series lowest crossover setting still only roll off at about -3db at 55hz.
    the shl5+ are flat down to 40hz in my room, so the rel cannot be properly integrated.

but with the p3esr in my bedroom, the new rel t5i measure first of all ruler flat, something the rel t5 couldnt do.

really happy with my P3ESR + REL T5i. in many ways, just as good as the SHL5+ I just received. still tooo early for my impression on my shl5+.

I also got Tannoy Berkeley 15inch HPD. Im in the process to have them refoamed with lockwood refoam and just ordered today parts to recap the XO. really looking forward to compare the Berkeley to the shl5+

6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I wonder if you might need to spend more time setting them up, room positioning, etc.? One of the big raves of The Bristol 2016 show was Rel paired with SHL5+.

7. murphythecat

nah, the rel t5i do not roll of before 80hz
    look at the measurements here: left and right shl5+ measured at the listening position
    pretty happy. just a dip at 100hz. not big deal. excellent measurements!
    [​IMG]free photo hosting
    [​IMG]picture upload

the yellow line is the rel t5i at the listening position.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. :) Perhaps the 5i is too small, driver size and LF extension.

But the true miracle here is the plotted response you are getting from SHL5+ placed so close to the back wall with a bed shoved nearly upon them. :>0

I can tell you from experience, my C7ES3 speakers sound much more flat with the recommended placement distance. Mine are 4 ft. from the back wall and at least 4 ft. from either side wall. When I first received the speakers, I tried a placement close to the back wall like yours and found it had an upper-bass, low-mid increase that was much improved with proper placement. But it looks like yours are placed and used more like a nearfield monitor which may negate this effect somewhat.

Perhaps there is some room interaction at play here, especially with larger furniture objects where the bass wave might have a different response unobstructed?

9. murphythecat

But the true miracle here is the plotted response you are getting from SHL5+ placed so close to the back wall with a bed shoved nearly upon them
    indeed! speakers are 23 inch away from the back wall measured from the front baffle.

Im very proud of my measurements. the room is fully treated, big bass traps, early reflection, ect.
    its almost word class mastering level FR... not quite but I almost think that my P3ESR do. my P3ESR measure even better in this room, almost within +-5db from 25hz up to 15khz!

this is my Harbeth P3ESR L+R response in the same room + subwoofer at the listening position 7 feet away! even better then SHL5+![​IMG]photo upload

Mine are 4 ft. from the back wall and at least 4 ft. from either side wall
    I recommend to not have the speakers so far away from the back wall.i ts recommended to have the speakers either at least 1.5m to 2m away from the back wall or very close to it. Genelec recommends this.
    many acoustician recommend something similar called pseudo soffit.
    genelec speaker placement - Google Search :

"Pseudo Soffit" Monitor Mounting - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.