The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Yes, DM, your unremitting, reciprocation-free brusqueness has become something of a masochistic charm that has at a stroke, esconced you firmly in the throne room of problematic batters which is to say, welcome to my nightmare.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about half the time (all this post 90s obscurity [obscure to me, that is]) but your style is undeniable and for that I have a cheeky crate of Chateau Maim & Kill Them on permanent standby, just in case.

;)
    :cheers:

dmiller458 and Yam Graham like this.
  2. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I do enjoy some of the grunge stuff. To me pj's vitalogy is their best work. I even bought an original copy of the book. I love lots of stp's work. I'm not sure if they belong in the grunge or even alt genre. As for Soungarden, to me they are a more pop friendly radio ready version of Black Sabbath. They had some really great songs. AIC is similar in that fashion, but are far darker and more druggy, but it seems more people are aware of their songs than they are of Soundgarden. I love lots of the output from the Smashing Pumpkins. Ive seen most every Billy Corgan project live...even the one man solo show he did at the metro. No doubt sp are my fav grungy band.

For the record, I've never seen any of these bands, with the exception of SP. Ive seen Bush and the Goo Goo Dolls. One might be able to label Bush grunge, but I doubt anyone would label the latter as such.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Listening to ACDC Black Ice today. An under appreciated album methinks, including by me if I'm honest.

4. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

One of those albums that would be a lot better if it wasn’t as long IMO. I’m a much bigger fan of the last album. Really great blues feel to it.

slipkid likes this.
  6. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

RE: AC/DC. I bought Razors Edge on release, hated it, jumped off the wagon, and pretty much haven't listened to anything post-Black in Black since.

I do that a lot, only to find years later good or great albums that I missed out on.

Trillmeister likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Addressing GShifter I was going to say I must be the only person who had the debut as their least liked PJ album, for being too simplistic or anthemic. Everyone seems to like that one the most. Until sons of nothing that is. :righton:
    Vitalogy and No Code were in heavy rotation for years with me. I moved on from PJ after Riot Act (2002) though that would be my third fav album. Now Pearl Jam remind me of U2 in that the lyrical content takes priority over the music. The music seems just a vehicle for the message. Now, I'm much more moved by music first. Again Sons-o-N beat me to the punch in naming the Pumpkins as my pick if I had to listen to only one band of that time, specifically Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. There is a pure love of electric guitar on those albums as evidenced by their indulgence; such powerful jams. And I nearly forgot about AIC! Rooster from Dirt would mesmerize me.

But I'm a Teetotaler now! The twelve hour emptying of bathtubs by the gulp are long gone. :) Well, I feel no need to win a round of musical Jeopardy, even if I could (I couldn't :p). Certainly 70-84 will never have competition for the crown. That was the Age of Heavy Renaissance. Still, I can't stop going to the library looking for volumes I missed and that includes the very latest issues of the Hard 'n Heavy. It's ironic that as a discussion of the Grunge era has taken place just now, I happen to be in a Death Metal exploration of those exact years and there are at least brief passages that are every bit the match for the Grunge champs. That Entombed tune I placed on the previous page: Entombed - Left Hand Path Just skip to 4:00 and tell me that isn't a gem plucked from the crown of '76, though it would have been ahead of its time of course. Still, the traditional values are there. Pearl Jam never had a few minutes as beautiful as these, brief as they are. Smashing Pumpkins may have.
    And just last night I'm listening to band I never heard of and digging it. 1991 but these guys would never have gotten near a MTV Awards stage. These Death Metalists have more in common with 70s rockers than the Grunge guys did....I think (?). More melody and music the priority over message. That the vocalist hails from the land of Mordor is fine with me. Tolerance, a fair hearing, has its benefits as a music fan. I can't seem to find the words to say that in a non-preachy way. Actually over the past 24 hrs I've put those rascals Venom on my list for yet another try. Whenever I've tried in the past I get tossed off that coarse beast. I'm going to adjust my saddle and try again. :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Underappreciated by whom? Not by AC/DC fans. It was an across-the-board number one and went double platinum in the US.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Just noticed there is a video of the first single, "April Showers":

zphage and Stormrider77 like this.
  10. weekendtoy

Yea, I would disagree 100%. PJ's self-titled for me is easily their best album, great song writing and music. But I'm a simple man with simplistic tastes :)

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky
    But why
    Why
    Why can't it be
    Why can't it be mine

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Dreadnought

My friends, do not fall for the propaganda! Canadians are bad, bad news!

[​IMG]

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hated razors edge. dang

13. Trillmeister

The whole Grunge thing passed me by, even though I was aware of it: it felt - just as Punk had done - like a musical insurrection against the rectitude of ('classical') Hard or Heavy stuff by young whippersnappers (which is/was precisely what both movements were) but that didn't stop me fundamentally recoiling at both, conceiving the most natural, knee-jerk antipathy, despite begrudgiung admirations for certain exponents from both camps which ito Grunge, included PJ's singer, Mr. E. Vedder whose over-egged, camera-facing intensity could not deflect my deep addiction to his voice.

14. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Samson fan? We are in for a treat here...
    The Polydor Years: Amazon.co.uk: Music
    The Polydor Years Box set which is basically their two albums with large singer Nicky Moore. Looks like a third disc of rarities too!
    Disc: 1
    1. Dangerzone
    2. Stealing Away
    3. Red Skies
    4. I'll Be Round
    5. Test Of Time
    6. Life On The Run
    7. Turn Out The Lights
    8. Losing My Grip
    9. Young Idea
    10. Red Skies - Single Edit
    11. Young Idea - Single Edit

Disc: 2
    1. Are You Ready
    2. Love Hungry
    3. Burning Up
    4. The Fight Goes On
    5. Don't Get Mad Get Even
    6. Into The Valley
    7. Bite On The Bullet
    8. Doctor Ice
    9. Front Page News
    10. Leaving Love (Behind)
    11. Doctor Ice (Friday Rock Show Session)
    12. Love Hungry (Friday Rock Show Session)
    13. Are You Ready (Friday Rock Show Session)
    14. Don't Get Mad Get Even (Friday Rock Show Session)

Disc: 3
    1. Losing My Grip - Thunderstick Version
    2. Pyramid To The Stars - Thunderstick Version
    3. Mr. Rock N Roll - Live
    4. Tomorrow Or Yesterday - Live
    5. Drivin With ZZ! - B
    6. Walking Out On You - Live
    7. Bright Lights - Live
    8. Living Loving Lying - B
    9. Running Out Of Time - B
    10. Front Page News - Different Version
    11. La Grange - B
    12. Riding With The Angels - New Version
    13. Fight Goes On - Long Version
    14. Vice Versa - Live

Jimmy Agates and GodShifter like this.
  15. My first love as a band....The reason Rock is in my DNA.

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  16. Dreadnought

Ballroom Blitz was the first proper rock song that got stuck in my head. Pre-KISS!

Come on Pops, put down the cane and I'll have your favourite nurse massage your bunions. :laugh:
    No kidding, last night I was reading Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore and the descriptions of 15-17 year old kids on both sides of the Atlantic trying to get bands together was kind of heart warming. Listening to the various debut albums it wasn't apparent to me that these were just high-school kids. Reading about a kid wandering into a garage/ rehearsal that lacked a drummer (chose the beach over rehearsing), saying he knew someone, that kid shows up, impresses, get the job and runs home to get his drum kit....I felt some old man's envy for the excitement and enthusiasm that must have been felt by these youths.
    Even if not interested in the genre it's an entertaining book. I was amused by the youthful tape trading fueled competition to be the fastest, most brutal band on the planet. Physically I really like the book as well. Just the right size and very high quality paper. I've tried reading a book by lit pad and it just doesn't work for me. I need pages that turn.

[​IMG]

The generally agreed upon very first American Death Metal Album. Wiki: "Recorded during the Spring Break of 1985 when Pinole Valley High School juniors Jeff Becerra and Larry LaLonde had ample time for studio production."
    :edthumbs:

GodShifter, zphage and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. weekendtoy

Yes, pages that turn, discs that spin, it's a vital part of the experience for me.

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Since a new album has been announced, let's remind ourselves of one of the two best albums of 2015, the one which exceeds in sheer excitement much of the metal output from the past 15 years or so:

zphage and Trillmeister like this.
  19. weekendtoy

Well maybe 'hated' is too strong of word. I do recall not caring for it but perhaps I need to give it a re-listen. Must of sold off the disc as I don't have it anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Fates Warning is releasing a live version of Awaken The Guardian recorded in Germany last year. This may explain why they never said or did much with the Arch/Matheos shows a few years earlier. I do hope that show was recorded though, it was a magical night.

I got goosebumps watching this trailer.

21. Dreadnought

Discs that spin? Don't go crazy now! :laugh:

Fab! I think I need to play the album now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  22. Trillmeister

Not bad; not bad at all, plus, the singer sounds like he might be Ian Anderson's disavowed cousin.

A delightful seventeenth century vibe to this, not that I'm too familiar with (English) Civil War era Metal (music, that is, not those ruddy great pikes used for dismounting the Papist horsemen du jour.)

23. Hard to believe this is 8 years old,
    lots of Gibson into Marshall rudeness,
    and delivers in the way ZZ Top once did.

Rufus Huff "13 Daze"

MYQ1 and GodShifter like this.
  24. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

It's Baron from Amebix, plus Away from Voivod on drums. A "supergroup", except one that works, for a change. The gentlemen on the guitars are from a couple of bands I'm not familiar with.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone heard the new KXM album Scatterbrain? Worth getting?

Jeff Kent and Matthew Tate like this.