New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL indeed. Tell that to Tesla and Google and GM and NVidia and Intel and Volvo and Volkswagen and Ford and... Level 4 autonomy is about 12-16 months away (Musk has already committed to that). Level 5 (ie, full autonomy) less than 5 years. Your 'if ever' comment is not based on the facts on the ground.

sunspot42 and The_Windmill like this.
  2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Care to make a wager? And even if these "self driving cars" do come to fruition, what purpose are they going to serve?

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They will serve the purpose of increasing safety, as the sensor based AIs will be far better drivers than humans. Just recently, there was a new car insurance company that is offering cheaper insurance to semi-autonomous vehicles based purely on the lower accident rates per mile driven. Intel has just shelled out $15 billion for MobileEye, an autonomous driving sensor company. NVidia is already building supercomputer deep learning based systems-on-a-chip (SoC) for autonomous driving (Telsa & Audi are clients).

But apart from increased safety, the bigger disruption is in personal mobility. Uber and the like, including taxi fleets will become driverless and ubiquitous. Most people won't need to own cars at all, especially in urban areas. They can just summon an autonomous vehicle, enter a destination and the car will take them there while they relax or work or whatever during the trip. Truck freight will also become autonomous with better safety and shorter haul times as no rest stops will be required.

As for making a wager, I really don't want to take your money - it just isn't fair!

reapers and sunspot42 like this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Great, just what we all need, another idiotic disruption. Thank god they are going to be vaporware. How are they going to negotiate the line of cars where you drop your kids off at school, toll lanes, parking garages? Perhaps they will replace the segway scooter, and you can enjoy watching 3d TV in the backseat of your driverless car.

5. I for one want to welcome our new robot car overlords and wish to remind them that I can be useful replacing oil and keeping the tire pressure up.

The_Windmill, sunspot42 and jtiner like this.
  6. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Get off my lawn! Damn kids...

Yeah, as you say, I'm not in that demographic. But I'm not tied to any real time viewing either, save for the news. The local/national has become a habit while we eat dinner.
    Having made my statement on broadcast/streaming services, I have to say that as much as I'm a fan of TOS, and as curious as I am regarding this series, I am very certain I would not subscribe to yet another streaming service for one series.

7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I want to see a self driving vehicle making deliveries in Manhattan.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, I am sure that will go well :biglaugh:

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you choose to ignore developments or even bother to do any research on the matter and simply pose sarcastic questions out of incredulity, that's your choice. I won't waste my breath anymore on the matter. :rolleyes:

RolandG and sunspot42 like this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Doctor, you disappoint me. My questions are sincere, I have looked into it. I can't see it happening. It isn't just the technology. It is the utility isn't there. Maybe 90% of it can be done, but it is the remaining 10% that makes this folly do difficult to achieve.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's what's happening right now in 2017.

My previous guess was around 5 years to reach full autonomy (there are 5 stages - level 5 is full autonomy). I think it may come even sooner.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The question about why do they put this on streaming only and not broadcast? Isn't the answer is that when its streaming, they don't have to adhere to the rules of broadcast TV, but more in line with the level of content that is in cable or other streaming services? They can do more things broadcast would not allow. Not that a good Star Trek story needs nudity, sex or harder violence, but those are the kinds of things that bring it viewers beyond the base fans, which I am guessing they want.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The reasons have already been discussed many times in this thread. To reiterate, CBS wants its streaming service to succeed so that they can play with the big boys, like Netflix, because they see that's where the future of TV is going. They thought Trek would be their star attraction, but they've handled that production poorly, to say the least, and it's been pushed back almost a year.

The other reason is that the series is already in the black because of the deal they did with Netflix, which will stream Disco to all other markets except the US.

They were both business decisions.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. I seem to have missed quite a bit of this thread, and all I see now are a plethora of off-topic posts about autonomous vehicles. So . . .

1). When will the new series be released?

2). Has there been a resolution to the Paramount/CBS/Axanar lawsuit and, if so, will Axanar see a release date?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No one knows as a final release date hasn't been given. It's been pushed back twice already. People are guessing maybe September-ish.

It's been sort of resolved. They can't make a feature length film, only a 20min short. As to what Axanar will actually do, apart from swindling money from crowd-sourceing, is anyone's guess.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's actually 2 15-minute episodes which they've stated they are committed to doing. I personally think the whole thing is pretty disgraceful on the part of the Axanar crew. They crowd sourced for a movie, spent the $1.4 million they raised on a studio, just recently launched another Indiegogo campaign to keep the studio open and recently stated that they will not be using the studio that they raised the $1.4 million for to film the 2 15-minute segments. It will all be shot in front of a green screen in the style of Prelude to Axanar.

BeatleJWOL and Deesky like this.
  18. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Which is, according to Backerkit (an Indiegogo campaign tracking site), waaaaaaaaaay under performing: Industry Studios The First Fan-Funded Movie Studio - BackerKit BackerTracker - BackerKit

Current: $18,195 (30% of Goal)
    Goal: $60,000
    Trending*: $23,753 (39.6% of Goal)
    *Based on current trends this is the estimated final total.

But this is better suited for the Axanar thread here.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Argh, I just realized (from the previously posted link) that they're bringing back Mudd!! Why oh why?

I can't think of a single bit of news that I've heard over the past year about this TOS reboot/re-imagining that makes me look forward to watching it. I don't want to be negative, I really don't, but I cannot ignore the fact that nothing about this series excites me at all. :(

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

Wait a minute, Mudd? Mudd had the goods. LOL!:D[​IMG] [​IMG] Mud was truly the man!:righton:

The_Windmill likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's mudd in your eye!

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  23. Johnny Rocker

Right on brother!:cool:

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another mixed bag of news. Four new cast members have been announced:

* Rekha Sharma plays Commander Landry, the ship’s security officer
    * Damon Runyan plays Ujilli, a Klingon leader
    * Clare McConnell plays Dennas, another leader in the Klingon Empire
    * Shazad Latif, who was announced for the role of Klingon officer Kol back in December, will now be playing Starfleet officer Lieutenant Tyler, a Federation science officer, and taking over the role of Kol will be actor Kenneth Mitchell

So, an actor that has already been filming for months to play one character, has now been replaced by another actor? That's a lot of wasted time.

But wait, there's more. A writers strike is looming, perhaps as early as next week, which means even more delays, of course not just for DISCO, but it's still another bit of bad news for this troubled production. Debut 2018?

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think this thing is never gonna be aired. Isn't there regime change underway at Paramount? Someone's gonna see what a mess this thing is and give it the axe.