SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

This is not true mono.

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

So you have the left and right from the TT going into left and right of the MkIII and then the output is to the amp right? and what settings does the Mk III have ? any changeable ones ? Jumpers?

[​IMG]

Then the Y cables are connected in the processor loop?

[​IMG]

3. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

and what is ? A $1000 cart?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Only one ear.

2trackmind and Easy-E like this.
  5. But, only if you are born with it in the middle of your face.

6. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

This is correct except that I have the MKII. I have it configured for the PE mode but I have also tried it with one of the other MC settings with identical results. When it is hooked up like this all I get is a hum/buzz but when I bypass the P75 and go directly into the Pharaoh's phono input the y cables work. I really think the P75 is a lot better than the internal phono stage though.

7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, actually. Or one either more or less expensive.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And where, exactly, would I find a $1000 cart? At Georgio's Of Beverly Hills? I have only seen the standard supermarket grade carts.

teag and lukpac like this.
  9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Which one is less expensive?

10. AnalogJ

The one that costs less.

teag likes this.
  11. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

12. AnalogJ

Benz-Micro low and medium mono cartridges are true mono (not the case with the high output). Lyra mono carts are also true mono. The Shelter 501 mono, to my understanding, is a true mono. The Ortofon moving coil monos are true mono (right down to the Quintet White).

razorball and teag like this.
  13. William A Childers

William A Childers Active Member

Long time looker, but first post. Can't seem to find what I need through searching..

First, many, many thanks for all the advise guys. It's been a tremendous help; including these Y-adapter threads that helped me realise the potential for some of my old mono records (Zombies, Zappa, Beach Boys, Beatles etc..)-- that I was about ready to trash, because they were so noisy. Couple of questions, though..

1. Using a Concept TT, Chinook-phono & Prima-Luna Dialogue Premium seperates, I can get the Y adapter trick to work perfectly, but only by swapping cables every time between the Chinook and Prima Luna-pre. My PL-pre has two outputs AND a tape-out (I assume for direct signal output), but no tape-in. Just CD, Aux1-3 inputs. Using the Y on one of outputs, is there any way to loop the signal back in to one of the inputs to get the desired mono signal? Otherwise, I am relegating to swapping the Y' s out for mono listening..

2. Are there any high-quality Y' s that someone could recommend? With all my expensive gear, it seems silly to be using a $10 Best-Buy Y, and I'm sure it's not doing my signal any favors. Amazingly, I can only seem to find cheapo sub-woofer related Y adapters in my searches, aside from the KAB switch.

Help/advice is VERY much appreciated!

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I believe that's a no on the tape loop, but there is a guy on here who sells simply mono switch boxes. I'd go that direction and spring for an extra set of short ICs and call it a day.

15. AnalogJ

No high quality y-connector set. The box is okay, but your best bet, soundwise, is a mono cartridge.

16. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

You could buy one of these switches from forum member xmas111 they work great!
    and they're inexpensive
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereo-mono-switch.386061/

marcb, Bob M. and 33na3rd like this.
  17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I recall an earlier post on this thread (or a similar one here) where a member said that the Monster Y's sounded better than the cheap+nasty's, with an acknowledgement that Monster doesn't have a good reputation. I have a vague recollection a higher-quality cable manufacturer has Y's. I have the adaptors I bought from ebay/china, they are gold plated and I think the signal path is so small it will have negligable effect.

18. William A Childers

Ok thanks a lot guys. For seem reason, whenever I try to click any links to the xmas111 adapter thread the forum says they're restricted. Weird..Maybe because I'm new? I want to look into both alternatives.

qwerty likes this.
  19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Yes, it's because you are new. I don't know the number of posts required, but I think it could be about 10.

Make some more posts and then you will be granted access to messaging. As a "long-time looker" there are probably quite a few topics of interest to you that you could comment on. Have some fun!

Alternatively, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could make your own switchbox. It's not too hard, and all the info is in the thread, if you are patient enough to find it.

20. William A Childers

Will do, and thanks.

21. William A Childers

CABLE ALERT!! I spoke with Grover Huffman earlier, who many of you know about, and for those of you who don't, our host Steve Hoffman uses his cables (he's actually pictured on Grover's website).

I personally use and love his speaker cables and interconnects, and he has agreed to make a special Y cable for the purposes of summing a stereo signal to Mono, to better play mono records. I honestly can't imagine anyone in the world I would rather have a Y cable made by, and aside from having a mono cartridge, I would have to think that this is as good as it gets. Just a happy customer passing on the word to those who might be interested..

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

That will certainly be better than what I know to be available. The directness of a mono cartridge is still better, of course. I realize that not everyone has a separate tonearm or table, so I'd see what GH can do.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Of course?

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Absolutely. No doubt at all about this. From experience.

25. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

What's better about it?

lukpac likes this.