Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (vinyl) coming in July*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I'll listen to it again tonight to refresh my memory and report back, but I believe it is a different lyric than we're used to in the chorus.

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the previous page of this thread...:righton:

Scott Strobel and FashionBoy like this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Thanks for that. I can barely understand the lyric, though. Is this "alternate lyric" version the one on the hi-res version of Greatest Hits?

FashionBoy likes this.
  4. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

You can't just buy the cd? Why would anyone who is remotely interested in Tom Petty not have this?

5. Vinyl Addict

"Last dance with Mary Jane
    Round the room and I'm on my way"

I was just spinning this.
    Anyone else notice "Something in the Air" (last song) sounds off from the rest of the album? Almost sounds tinny. I don't think it's IGD.

6. I actually thought the last two tracks sounded equally as good as the rest of the album. The opening drums on "Something in the air" rattled the walls cause I had my amp cranked for "Mary jane", hahaha. It is a Greatest Hits album so of course all tracks (from each time period) have a different sonic quality, but I didn't notice anything bad about the last one!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

+1 thought it sounded good.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Add my vote to the "this sounds f'n incredible" list. Spinning it right now and very pleased with the sound quality/ overall package. Awesome!

Vinyl Addict and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'd like to bump this. Does anyone have a clue as to what the differences are between these 2 copies on Amazon US. The Import is actually cheaper, with a release date about one week apart??

o_O

10. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I apparently bought the import and it has an extra song (19 instead of 18). It includes 'Anything That's Rock n Roll'. ATRnR was a hit for them early on in the UK. Discogs actually shows 3 versions: UK, US and Europe. Oddly, they show the extra song on the US and Europe pressings but not the UK version. The best way is to go by the UPC code. My version with the extra song also has the alternate lyric for MJLD. I will check deadwax and see if this is cut by Chris Bellman. Discogs show the US cut by CB and the other two by Chris Bellman, Joe Gastwirt. I think Joe Gastwirt is simply a carryover from the CD mastered long ago so it is likely CB did all versions which makes sense.

mick_sh likes this.
  11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Thanks. Any help is appreciated. I just want to know which button to press & want the nicest or preferred cut.

Weird & big diff in price. Can get what is labeled as "Import" for $32 vs $47 on the top (one week earlier) release.

12. Vinyl Addict

Not sure what the difference is. I preordered mine from Amazon UK and it definitely has the extra track.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Clanceman likes this.
  14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Damn,
    Mine is the first one you mention..."yours "

Damn glad I picked up this Bellman cut. What an incredibly beautiful sounding Greatest Hits package.

Had to take the warps out w my "Vinyl Flat," but its the most perfect I've ever heard these songs sound....ever.

Glad I went with the $14 cheaper option. Still have no idea why Amazon US gives those 2 options? Way cheaper & way more expensive. o_O

KeninDC and Tommyboy like this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Wow, did I strike it lucky ten years ago. Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime double LP for £13.99 (had to order it). Downstairs there was single and double LPs for £5 (Doolittle, M83 Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts, Cat Power Moon Pix, Slint Tweez, Sonic Yoith Goofin' reissues). Upstairs Dischord albums for £8. You could fill your shelves with LPs that cost the same as CD titles on sale at HMV.

17. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I have the 19 track version. I bought it here cheap because it had a warp. I gave it to a friend who has a Furutech and he fixed it up for me. I can confirm that it sounds great and I can confirm that at least "American Girl" is cut from digital.

Clanceman likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just picked this up on vinyl. Vinyl is clean, quiet, and fairly, though not absolutely perfectly flat.

This mastering is quite alive sounding, pretty dynamic, but I'll agree with a previous poster, it's a bit too bright. It's a really enjoyable listen, and the songs are great (perhaps, except for the last couple of songs, which I wouldn't really call among the group's greatest hits up 'til that time. I wish the top end weren't quite as hot.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Picked up the Greatest Hits today at Barnes and Noble. They didn't have Full Moon Fever on vinyl, but this was also on my list, and it was sitting there. 20% off it cost me 30 with tax. Looks great. Both records as they should be, A thru D. US track listing. Found this thread to get a little info and read opinions. Will be playing this real soon, probably a lot in the next few days.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Sorry if this has been commented on. But does the extra track Anything That’s Rock & Roll adds to this comp or breaks the flow. Which it was Jammin’ Me!

John Bliss likes this.
  21. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Needed to repost due to a misspelling on my part.

22. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Record seems to be out of stock almost everywhere. Anyone know if a re-press is in the works?

23. I recently found one lonely copy in a single pathetic record bin hidden away in a Best Buy Store. Their music selection is a joke but I was there for something else.

Anyway I grabbed it.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, but when I was looking at it, considering going after a copy, I saw that it would only be for the last two songs on side 4, as I already have the other songs, as cut by either Bellman, or Grundman.

Aren't they still recovering from selling out due to Tom's death ? So OOP likely isn't accurate.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  25. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

No, they're not going to reappear, or no, you don't know? (Sorry!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.