Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Mr. Explorer and SixOClockBoos like this.
  2. I just want "Back To The Egg" It has such potential to be perfect deluxe set or super deluxe.

JeffreyB, Sean, Mr. Explorer and 4 others like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's not stupid actually. You have all three editions for every occasion simultaneously, which is good.^^

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If it's not 1st June, then the anniversary thing should be called The Summer Of Love Box.

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

No more than "Flowers", which had only one top 40 hit and only went Gold. BTTE went platinum and had two top forty hits.
    If they can do revisionist history for a turkey like "Fowers", then they could certainly could do the same for the others.

6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Perhaps Capitol negotiated with Yoko Ono to get Silly Love Songs approved after all this time?

Honestly, at this point, I think the best compilations we can get are a rocking set and a ballad set, each showing off different parts of the catalogue.

But I expect an Anthology release first, and maybe a new 2 CD edition of hits to come with the tour on the next LP.

Though, personally, I would love to see a 4 CD set called Live McCartney, that would have 1 CD covering a mixture of Wings, 1 CD covering Lumpy Trousers (and the 1986 performances), 1 CD covering the early tours of the present band, and 1 CD covering the present tour/most recent tour of the present band.

7. Brian from Canada

I can see it as a deluxe set:

Wild Life would be 2 CD, with the extra disc being 1972 pre-tour material.
    Red Rose Speedway would be 3 CD, with the first disc being leftover tracks and the "Hi Hi Hi" and "Live And Let Die" singles, and the second being the 193 Newcastle show or James Paul McCartney soundtrack material.

London Town would be 3 CD, with the first disc being outtakes from 1977-1978 plus "Mull Of Kintyre"/"Girls' School", and the second being the unreleased Rupert The Bear soundtrack.
    Back To The Egg would be 2 CD, with the extra disc being outtakes and alternates plus the "Goodnight Tonight" single.

Give My Regards To Broadstreet would be 2 CD, with the extra disc being remixes and outtakes from the period.
    Press To Play would be 3 CD, with the first disc being b-sides/alternates/etc., and the second being the Pepperland sessions… with "Once Upon A Long Ago" and "Spies Like Us" somewhere in there. That set could also have a bonus download disc of remixes.

8. You must add the "Wings Rock For Kampuchea" concert set for BTTE:D Make it a bonus CD/DVD/Blu-Ray

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

The way things are going it will be

Wild Life, SPECIAL edition, 2 CD, 1 CD original album, 1 CD outtakes
    and
    Wild Life SUPER SPECIAL for $100 more, 1 CD original album, 1 CD outtakes, 1 CD Wings Live '72, Download only b-sides

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Sounds fantastic, when is it coming out? I'm ready to pre-order

11. Brian from Canada

DVDs:
    • Wild Life: short film on the forming of Wings, promo film for "Mary Had A Little Lamb," home movies of touring
    • Wings Over Europe: the 1972 rehearsal film
    • Red Rose Speedway: the television special James Paul McCartney
    • London Town: promo film for "Mull Of Kintyre," TV performance of "With A Little Luck," home movies from Jamaica, TV ad for Wings Greatest
    • Back To The Egg: promo film for "Goodnight Tonight," Back To The Egg film, "Rockestra" documentary, promo for "Wonderful Christmastime"
    • Wings' Last Flight: Wings Rock For Kampuchea complete broadcast version
    • Give My Regards To Broadstreet: promo films for both versions of "No More Lonely Nights," promo for "We All Stand Together," TV special on the making of the film (since the film has to be released by Fox)
    • Press To Play: The Paul McCartney Special, promo films for "Spies Like Us," "Press," "Pretty Little Head," "Stranglehold," "Only Love Remains," "Once Upon A Long Ago," TV ad for All The Best!
    Does that make sense? Anything anyone would add?

theMess and Bernard hansen like this.
  12. Brian from Canada

Wouldn't it make more sense to release Wings Over Europe as a separate release?

theMess likes this.
  13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don't care what it is as long as all the bonus content is on CD. :p

sean4554, Sean Murdock and the sands like this.
  14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I have a tough time picking between which version I like the best... I like more of the songs on the U.K. version I think but I hate how Jet comes before Band On The Run on the U.K. version. It seems out of place. The U.S. got it right.

andrewskyDE and Johnny Reb like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, it would make more sense. Just like it would make more sense to release the Live In Glasgow 1979 concert as a standalone release (instead of dribbling out the pieces here and there across various Archive sets).

But it is not likely to happen.

Jump Cut, Mumbojunk and theMess like this.
  16. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I had always considered that "Wild Life" and "Red Rose Speedway" would be issued separately but both released at the same time ala "V&M/Speed of Sound" and "Tug of War/Pipes of Peace" but unless Paul is sitting on a ton of never before known outtakes or has a soundboard of a Wings Uni shows, "Wild Life" will struggle to have enough material for even half a deluxe edition nor could it fill 100 pages of one of the books BUT..... just now it has occurred to me: Why not combine "Wild Life" with "RRS" in one big single Deluxe Edition that contains each of the original albums..one CD each and one big lavish book telling the Wings story from July 1971 - July 1973? Also have 2 more CD's of outtakes and a DVD with the "JPM" TV special and maybe the "Bruce McMouse" unreleased film and/or whatever live material is in the MPL vaults like the Wings rehearsals that were filmed. That way "Wild Life" won't stick out on it's own as the half an album that it is and can hide in the shadow of the more critically acclaimed "RRS" and depending on what unknown audio and video material they can throw in, all of both albums shortcomings will hopefully be ignored and everyone comes out a winner. Also put both album covers on the front of the box. The lack of two separate packages would also save MPL a bit of money that they could throw into obtaining rare video footage and cleaning it all up. It may well be the only way to get "Wild Life" remastered and re-evaluated otherwise I feel it may be skipped entirely.
    Anyone else think this is a practical idea or am I just dreaming?

17. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

My preference would be for any of the remaining Wings albums with Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway at the top of my list. I think it is unlikely but I would love to have a full show from the 1979 tour included on a BTTE release, or perhaps the full set from the Kampuchea show, which we know was professionally recorded (as, I guess was the Glasgow show, given the tracks that have emerged from it over the years).

My suspicion is that this series tends to prioritise the critical/commercial big hitters so it is likely to be Flaming Pie next. I love the album but am less interested in a deluxe reissue.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  18. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

I think releasing a few of the live '79 tracks across releases was a mistake on MPLs part, and they used it to try and pad out an album with minimal options for bonus audio (McCartney).

I don't think it rules out receiving the entire live show in the future, even if it would duplicate content from previous archive releases.

Mr. Explorer and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering why there aren't so many McCartney (studio) outtakes. Isn't there much material (demos, alternate takes, etc.) from late 1969/early 1970 available in the vaults?

20. bward

bward Senior Member

That's a very interesting choice for next Archive, if true, because last year's Pure McCartney boasted 8 Flaming Pie tracks.

And the reason given for the exclusion of any Flowers tracks from Pure McCartney was the fact that it was next up in the series. The concern was Pure McCartney could cut into sales for Flowers In the Dirt.

I can see why Capitol would want Flaming Pie next.

But using the above logic, wouldn't the release of half the album in higher quality cut into sales for Flaming Pie if it is next in the Archive series?

I know, I'm talking McCartney. It won't stop me from picking it up, or anyone else here.

Just pointing it out.

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

That's what I complained about when Pure came out, but nobody wanted to agree with me :laugh:

It makes ZERO sense!

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Remember: There is NO logic with anything that MPL does. Instead, there is an inCOMPREHENSIVE PLAN ... ;)

23. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Off topic slightly, but does anyone know the number of copies pressed for each of these archive box set releases. I can see five digits on various people's box, but the lowest number I've seen is 19796. Is there any consistency or is each new pressing based upon sales of previous releases. I've discovered these releases a bit late in the day, and I might see if I can buy a couple, but the latest FITD Box seems quite expensive with some people expressing their feelings at overpricing - does the price compare favourably with previous releases.

24. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I think the pricing of something is subjective, how much you think it's worth is where your feelings stand about the pricing.

Having said that, I was one in the beginning thought the price was steep, but once I got the set in my hands and I listened to the music on it and read through the books, watched the DVD etc etc I thought it wasn't that bad. 117$ well spent in my opinion, your mileage may vary.

theMess and emjel like this.
  25. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Thanks. Yeah I realise price can be subjective along with perceived VFM. That price of $117 (£92) is very good and would have me placing an order, but here in the UK, it is selling for £135 ($170) so not quite so appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.