What happened to Blu-ray Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by floyd, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

The artifact is definitely not there on any of my other CDs (MoFi gold or original Atomic West Germany), it's unique to the hi-res. I came here to search why it's happening when I heard it and stumbled on to this thread: Is Universal Music Group using audible watermarks on digital files? (there are others, for example: HD TRACKS- Watermarks on some files...Beware! )

Here's more information from others who have heard it, analyzed it, and can reproduce it in a spectrum graph every time: Universal's Audible Watermark

I used "Tom Sawyer" in my example because it was the easiest track for me to hear it on (unfortunately, as it's one of my favs, it's the very first Rush song I ever heard as a kid). The swishy sound is very audible in my headphones. Through loud speakers I can usually ignore it. But even if I couldn't hear it, it shouldn't be happening at all on a niche format for which I pay a premium.

2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

My Blu Ray has the entire recording in hi res stereo and 5.1. (The 5.1 is in DTS Master Audio or Dolby True Hd)?

The 5.1 mix was supervised by Towshend.

3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Neato - I wasn't aware of the Blu-Ray release of Quadrophenia. Too bad it's unobtanium. ;-) I have the DVD-A that came in the big box set and it is only half the album.

4. Ephi82

I simply don't understand why they wouldn't keep making the Blu Ray Pure Audio of this recording?

It is one of the best examples of how good 5.1 can be, and in my opinion, it takes a masterpiece of a rock recording to yet a higher level.

PhilBiker, if ever in S Florida come on by. I'd gladly put this one in the OPPO and play it for you. Simply unreal.

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Mr Gilmour deserves his retirement without numptys, floydophiles, audiophiles or other ophiles bugging him! Re Quadrophenia the stand alone blu-ray I have has all the album in 96kHz 24-bit PCM stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround sound. It came out in 2014.
    I did a quick Amazon UK search and unfortunately it does seem to be out of print.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. PhilBiker

Oh, I know exactly how great it sounds because I have the DVD-Audio that came in the box set.

Ephi82 likes this.
  7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Is this what you guys are after?

YESASIA: Quadrophenia (Blu-ray High Fidelity Pure Audio) Blu-ray,CD - The Who, Universal Music - Western / World Music - Free Shipping - North America Site

Appears to be currently available for order......US$29.29

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. Ephi82

9. PhilBiker

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

rd1 and Bill Mac like this.
  11. floyd

floyd Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Bob Marley Legend the original Blu-ray audio in comparison to the 30th anniversary Blu-ray audio

Shoot. I have the old one and just ordered the new one after seeing that on the DR database it showed old one haveing a range of 7 and the 30th having a range of 14. That may be because of the surround tracks though. Oh well someday I may have a surround system I would have just maybe held off buying that one if what I was going to be listening to was the same.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree. I don't really care for the Quadrophenia 5.1 mix off of the Blu-ray Audio disc. It could have been much better IMO.

The Bob Marley Legend 30th anniversary Blu-ray Audio has an excellent 5.1 mix. I'll be it playing tomorrow for sure :)!

Lownote30 and SteelyTom like this.
  13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Do you have the BDA disc? I was under the impression it was only 2 channel.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Both the Quadrophenia and Legend (30th Anniversary Edition) Blu-ray Audio discs I own have 5.1 mixes. The original Legend Blu-ray Audio disc was stereo only and the one you might be thinking of.

ti-triodes and jeffreybh like this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hmmm, do you hear something funny? Anyone...? Huh - I coulda sworn I was hearing the same thing back in the 1980s when "Home Taping Was Killing Music" (you know, back during the period record labels had a decade of unprecidented growth)...? Inserting tones in the recordings intended to stop a cassette recorder in its' tracks...which were so clumsily inserted by those rocket surgeons of professional sound production, that golden-ears-types could pick the tones right out of a lineup.

Oh wait, maybe it was a little after "Home Taping Killed Music" when the industry (or at least Clive Davis' little feifdom) dabbled with the rootkit, which did serious mayhem on your computer when you did nothing more than put the disc you owned and had permission to do anything you wanted with it for your own personal use...and enjoyed maliciously-inserted code downloading itself to your PC without your permission, on the basis that, "Home Napstering Is Killing Music" (you know, back during the period record labels again experienced a period of unprecidented growth)...?

And then the advent of the SACD, which the Japanese insisted had to be long enough to hold Beethoven's 9th in one pass...and the Americans insisted it be a fresh technology that was simply incompatible with ripping on a computer at all (or at least, the layer you bought the SACD for), presumably because, "Home Video Speaker Setups Are Killing Music" (you know, back when apparently the studios were scared to death you might just buy the player for *gasp!* music, and lose interest in paying twice the admission price for a movie you paid full admission price for in the theater, a reduced admission price to watch it upstairs in your Days Inn room, buck-a-seat - plus popcorn! - at the last-run "dollar cinema", and then an added $300 bucks a year for Showtime on cable)...that you might just pass on the RedBox tonight and *yikes!* just enjoy a quiet evening with Dr. Cheskey's Bargain-Bin-Dog-Whistle-in-Quad recordings. Heeeyyy...I don't suppose Sony ditched SACD releases right after discovering the home office had put out a Playstation that could accidentally be tweaked to rip SACD's without realizing it....? Nahh. I must be getting paranoid.

But I have come to the conclusion that..."Home Enjoying Of Music Is Killing Music"...! :tiphat:

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Sorry, Bill. I was referring to the Marley disc.

I agree with the consensus about Quadrophenia. No bass.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No worries :)! The Quadrophenia Blu-ray 5.1 mix is definitely lacking in bass. How that was allowed to happen is unreal IMO.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought I read that once you turn on the sub and bump up that level slightly you get back the missing bass? There was a workaround that left many satisfied.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I could try that as my processor has a sub level setting on the remote. I'll try that next time I listen to it. Although a workaround shouldn't be needed.

chilinvilin likes this.
  20. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Enjoying the recently released Doolittle by the Pixies on Blu-Ray...

Steel Horse likes this.
  21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

100% real.

I have bought stuff from them before........no probs whatsoever.
    They even take PayPal!!

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  23. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

IMO 5.1 sound is mostly suitable only for Classical music , totally pointless for rock, pop etc. with over amplified sound and no reference to acoustic environment etc.

24. Ephi82

Thanks for weighing in. If you don't like 5.1 and Blu Ray, why comment in the thread?

Larry Geller and Jaap74 like this.
  25. So you have the DVD/CD combo -Anniversary edition and ordered the original BR because it's stereo tracks are supposed to sound better? I thought I read the opposite, can someone in the know please elaborate on the difference between the two versions of BM Legend on Blue-ray audio. I want to know if I'm listening to 2.0, do I need to pick up the first version or I should the second identical sans the one track that's studio vs live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.