True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

True Detective Season 3 In The Works

Looks like a third season may be coming. Season 1 was, for me, an all time TV highlight. Up there with the Wire, Twin Peaks and Mad Men. Season 2 was a drop off but was not as bad as the reviews it received at the time. It was just too busy and some of the acting felt very off.

Very early days by the sound of it. Whilst, in some ways, I would love them to revive Rust and Cole I think that would be the wrong move. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    alexpop and Scope J like this.
  2. Wild Frank

Sorry...meant Rust and Marty.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

S1 was okay, mainly because of the leads, if not the plot. S2 was a disaster. If S3 is a go, I hope there is more oversight in the writing/direction department.

4. Wild Frank

Hopefully the length of time that has now elapsed would mean more focus on the writing/plot development. In retrospect Season 2 seemed to be rushed out to capitalize on the success of the first one. I note your point regarding the plot of Season 1 but I still feel there was some rare magic caught on film in that instance; a combination of location, atmosphere, great acting, music and cinematography.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not clear who the showrunner will be. Assuming the writing is good, I'm in...

eddiel likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

would love to see a mix of season one and two somehow....mcadam with mcconaghey would be nice match-up, and farrrel and monaghan would be cool too.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought the writing in Season 1 was pretty good except as they wrapped things up. I didn't much like the final episode.

I don't think Season 2 was as bad as many assert, although it definitely wasn't as good as Season 1.

8. Wild Frank

The moment when you first see Reggie Ledoux outside that cabin (end of episode 3?) was a genuinely shocking moment. Also, in retrospect, the moment they first talk to the killer on the lawnmower is really unsettling.

googlymoogly, jwoverho and Leviethan like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think season 1 was great. But season 2 undid all of the goodwill season 1 established. In fact, all of seasoon 2 was expendable save for the final episode. I am, as of right now, indifferent to an upcoming season 3.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Gumboo, Rufus McDufus and Deesky like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Season 2 did nothing for me. Loved Season 1, and still never understood it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVOLVIST and Gumboo like this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The contrarian here: I watched part of season one and thought "I've seen this before". Season 2 was quite compelling, best procedural I've seen since the Wire. A complicated but cleanly delineated plot - halfway through I really didn't know how it might be solved or resolved. Colin Farrell should have gotten some kind of award for his acting.

Tokyo Ghost, CBC and paulbright81 like this.
  12. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I really liked both seasons, but two was complicated. I didn't feel let down by it, it was good tv, good acting. I will look forward to another season.

polchik and CBC like this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought S1 was outstanding. Terrific acting and writing, excellent theme song, and Alexandra Daddario is gorgoeus. I thought S2 was awful. It took Dexter 2-3 years to get that bad, this one was overnight.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely agree about all those things - much of the credit for that goes to director Fukunaga, who also was able to reign in some of Pizzolatto's excesses while presenting great visuals and mood. S2 didn't have Fukunaga (he left after some reported friction) and it all fell exclusively to Pizzolatto, so we got what we got.

The other thing to note is that Pizzolatto had worked on what was to become S1 for many years, on and off, before pitching it to HBO, so he had plenty of time to construct his pet project. Pizzolatto had more than a year to come up with something for S2, so it wasn't exactly 'rushed'. He just needs to be filtered more rather than being treated like an auteur.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yep, enjoyed both s1&s2.
    Bring it on I say.

CBC likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Having David Milch joining is plus for me.

chumlie likes this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Ep 4 of season one, "Who Goes There", had a bravura sequence during the robbery in the housing project with a 6 minute, unbroken tracking shot. Excellent direction by Fukunaga.

DHamilton and Mr Sam like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, hopefully he can nix dialog like this (from S2):

"Never do anything out of hunger, not even eating"
    "It's like blue balls in your heart"
    "These contracts....there's signatures all over them!"
    "Thing is, you ain’t that thing no more. What you used to was."

Gumboo and Wild Frank like this.
  19. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Loved season one. Thought it was brill. Couldn't stand season two.

Gumboo likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Exactly!

peter fuller likes this.
  21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved Season 1.

Season 2 was a let down.

Maybe with Season 3 they can bring it back up.

22. alexpop

I must be the only one that liked season 2 as I've watched it twice now.

PhilBorder and polchik like this.
  23. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

wow, I'm in the minority. I really liked Season 2.

24. alexpop

I guess the lord must be in New York City, as when I was watching S2 again it occurred to me it that it was better than the first season.

polchik likes this.
  25. alexpop

One helluva Season 3 premise.
    Set in the late 1870,s small western town. Using a lot of Deadwood sets.