Rega Planar 2 (2016) vs Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC: No Contest

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I decided to buy a Rega Planar 2 (Newest model) with stock Carbon cart to compare to my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, also latest model, with stock Ortofon Red cart.

No contest. The Planar 2 wins hands down in every category. It is quieter, more focused, more vivid, and tonally much better. The Pro-Ject would also suffer from hum, that would come and go. So far the Rega is dead quiet.

Price: Rega Planar 2: $675/Pro-Ject Debut:$450

For $225 more, The Rega just eats the Pro-Ject for lunch.

[​IMG]

2. ServingTheMusic

Update...No doubt in my mind you can't do better for $675.

bluemooze, Ntotrar and PhxJohn like this.
  3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

No surprises there. Enjoy the Rega!

4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've been reading a lot about Rega lately, as well as watching the Fremer-made videos from Rega on analog planet. I really like what I read about the company, although they do the typical nickle and dime routine with their customers throughout the model line. I'm not in the market at the moment for a new machine and I would dearly love to remain clear of the vinyl-pursuit rabbit hole that so many seem to go down, but if I find myself falling in anytime soon, it will be for a Rega P2 or P3. Especially when you consider that the cartridge on that P2 is an AT91 equivalent with conical stylus with tons of room for cartridge improvement, it's just a sweet machine.

Leonthepro and PhxJohn like this.
  5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I was closely looking at the p2/p3 to upgrade from my lp120 then I fell down the vintage rabbit hole and am getting an AR xb

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Well yes, but I think the apples to apples might be the RP1. At least it was when I was deciding between the two.

7. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

The AR tables can be made to sound really good, better than most depending on the modification.

The big advantage is the Rega tonearm, the project arm is poor at best.

SandAndGlass, John Woo and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

You do have point with the nickel and dime routine...although I think Rega is a great company, their are a dizzying amount of upgrades available. Depending on your point of view, that could be a good or bad thing. I can say the stock P3 and stock P2 are good enough for 90% of buyers.

PhxJohn and H8SLKC like this.
  9. ServingTheMusic

This is true. But for a $225 difference (Carbon DC/P2), it is night and day.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Oh I disagree, I think the carbon fiber arm is the strength of the table. It may very well be more arm than is suitable for the table.

GyroSE and cadeallaw like this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

How about the Ortofon Red vs the Rega Carbon?

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Did you run the DC in your system for comparison?

13. ServingTheMusic

Yes, that was the whole premise of my thread. As noted. the P2 was so much more musical and detailed.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

How's the speed on the newer Rega table, biggest complaint is the speed problem, runs around 2% fast.

johnny q and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

On both my Rega tables, have not noticed that. I have not taken the time to measure. Is their a good speed app?

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ah, I see. You upgraded from a DC to a RP2. I wasn't sure if you owned it or auditioned it.

17. ServingTheMusic

Had it for 6 months now. The hum and the veiled presentation started to gnaw at me. :agree:

The FRiNgE likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

For Iphone it is "turntabulator" if forget what the android is. Do yourself a favor and forget about it, it will run fast and ruin your fun.

19. ServingTheMusic

while I have audience..the new Planar 2 and 3 come with nice glass platters...go naked? or use the supplied felt mat?

20. ServingTheMusic

Thanks will check it out. I honestly think that I won't really hear or care about 2%.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've had a Carbon for about three years I think. I upgraded the platter and went to a 2M Blue and it has served me well. I wouldn't come to it's defence, it has some shortcomings but it got me in the game when I thought $400 was a crazy amount of money to spend on a turntable.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

you won't, especially if you never measure it. If you are like me, once you know it's there you might get weird about it. The Pro-ject also measures fast.

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

You need a good strobe to check the speed, the speed apps are not close enough. The faster speed will make the music sound more detailed with better pace leading you to feel the table sounds better. Upgrade to the Ortofon blue, works really well o the Rega arm.

H8SLKC and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I absolutely agree with your points. I worry (for myself and that rabbit hole thing) that if I bought a P2 or P3 I'd swiftly look at groovetracer and/or TTPSU device (depending on which model) and who knows what else! The upgradeability is so appealing but also a but frightening to me and my wallet. Anyway, I love the looks and hope you continue to love that machine. What upgrades are you thinking about at this point?

25. ServingTheMusic

Upgrades? Honestly none. Maybe a long way down the road the xternal PS for the P3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.