The Beatles Please Please Me album appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Fan 1999, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Oh how I laughed! " all I want is a 45...the record or the gun..." the clip cuts off with a shot of the jukebox...I have to know: Did it play "Anna"?... and which version?

2. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

That would have made two Arthur Alexander tracks in the album! ( He probably could have used the dough!)...on a side note: Did you know that A.A. was the only artist covered by the Beatles, Stones AND Dylan!

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I definitely didn't know that. I knew the Stones covered "You Better Move On" but what song did Bob Dylan cover?

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Sally Sue Brown" (on Down in the Groove)

5. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Sally Sue Brown...AA's first single.

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Yea, but I dont think EMI cared *who* they had to pay royalties to, whether it be Goffin-King (Chains), Bacharach/David (Baby It's You) or Artie Alexander. They just wanted an album with strong Title strength.

7. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

it seems there is some disagreement on other threads as to whether this only includes the 1C- 072 or also 1C- 062 pressing. Do you have thoughts on this?

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Really not clear what the question is.

Never really a good idea to refer to catalog number (1C- 072 or also 1C- 062 pressing) as "pressings". The only way to know what the cut is is based on the matrices. My SHZE-117A-1X , SHZE-117B-1 copy was a catalog number SHZE 117. My later pressing with the same catalog SHZE 117 number had SHZE-117 -A2 , SHZE-117- B-2 cuts. I have another copy with the Please Please Me cover, catalog 1C062-04219 that had SHZE-117 -A2 / 04219-A-2 , SHZE-117- B-2 / 04219-B-2 cuts. I don't have a 1C-072 catalog copy to check.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I love:

Please Please Me
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Twist and Shout
    Anna
    Baby It's You

I don't really care for the rest of the tracks. I have a feeling the group could have chosen some better covers from their live reptoire.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, it played the song and it played the original Arthur Alexander version. :)

11. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

thank you. sorry, a bit new to this... but you are saying the two latter pressings with the A2 / B2 cuts are superior to the first?

12. Muzyck

Short answer as far as I am aware is that SHZE-117 -A2 , SHZE-117- B-2 matrices are preferred. Later releases are the same cut, but have SHZE-117 -A2 / 04219-A-2 , SHZE-117- B-2 / 04219-B-2 matrices.

Avoid the early SHZE-117A-1X , SHZE-117B-1 cut.

Just my .02.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

slow day today?

14. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

thanks

15. bob chabot

bob chabot chab

i just want to thank you all for steering me toward a nice pressing of this album!

Muzyck and Blue Cactus like this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The American version which came out 2 years later is in my top 3 Beatles albums- the Early Beatles, love it. What makes PPM more desirable is the inclusion of There's a Place and Misery , 2 of my favorite Beatles tracks

17. Muzyck

Enjoy!

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Two of the best songs on the album IMO. When Capitol was planning to release their double Best Of The Beatles set, both "There's A Place" and "Misery" were planned to be included. Oddly they were left off The Early Beatles (yet a couple of the iffier covers like "A Taste Of Honey" and "Anna" remained...)

slane and NothingBrightAboutIt like this.
  19. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

"There's A Place" to me always felt like the first sign of things to come, the first among all their songs about love and such to deal with such an abstract concept.

goodiesguy, ajsmith and MsMaclen like this.
  20. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Many years ago, i read (it was either in The Beatles monthly or Record Collector magazine), that "Keep your hands off my baby" was mentioned as being on the album in a press pre-release article.

That would have been a great addition to the album.

21. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Nice idea. Those of us who grew up in the 60's had that experience of hearing them as they were released, album by album. We had to wait a bit longer between albums but nonetheless the growth and brilliance of each album becomes even more apparent when introduced to them as you chose to do. One at a time, in order.

Very good!

:tiphat:

22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

There's A Place wasn't included on any of the Capitol LPs and I don't think it was on a US single, so it is one of the lesser-known tracks here. Which is a shame because it deserves the praise other posters have given it on this thread.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Of the 2014 remastered mono LPs, Please Please Me is the album that made the biggest impression on me at first listen. I know it was pressed from a new submaster, but the energy just leaps out of the speakers. Maybe it was always so, but my (existing) appreciation of the album was heightened by having a new pressing. Absolutely love it!

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I have the original Parlophone vinyl MONO...and it is amazing. Glad you are finding the new 2014 remaster to be just as energizing!

David Austin likes this.
  25. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Now I know what I'm spinning for this coming Vinyl Saturday. :D

lemonade kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.