Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Kindly disagree that Nick was a "session drummer" for TER. Both David and Nick recorded some new parts and touched up others. Andy Jackson and Phil Manzanera with Youth were session producers. At the end of the day they must have a lot of mutual respect for one another because they are the only 2 people on earth who own the name Pink Floyd.

2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There aren't any recent DSOTM Immersion threads, so I'll stick this here:
    Did a google search for dark side of the moon immersion. A link/ad came up for deepdiscount.com selling the box for $36.01.
    Searching on deepdiscount itself does not bring up the item. Order placed!
    The other 2 Immersion sets don't come up this way.

petercl, superstar19, Lecords and 2 others like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The second and third are both pretty good, but I'd give the nod to the second one.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Nick had nothing to do with this project except to play a few new drum tracks basically being brought in as a session drummer. Of course he was/is a member of Pink Floyd but his involvement in this project was minimal at best. The vision was David's and the other producers and Andy did most of the work.

Hattipper likes this.
  5. Wow, thanks! Just placed an order myself. This set was always too rich for my blood (at least previously), because all I really wanted out of it was the bonus CD with the early mix version, plus the couple demos, etc. But $41 shipped to my door was too tempting to pass on. Thanks again!!

6. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

I like the first and second best, and give the nod to the first one. Great work as always!

7. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Great tip, thanks! I just did the Google search and found it for $26.80 + 5.99 shipping through Importcds. Order placed.

Jerry and superstar19 like this.
  8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Very strange. I assumed the deepdiscount was an error, but that is quite a coincidence.

Lecords likes this.
  9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Wow, that's a sweet deal on that set. I felt pretty good about getting mine for $75.

10. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree. Nick have 2 writing credits on this one. Was he a session drummer since dark side? Nope. He worked with David and the other producers on The Endless River. By the way his drumming is fabulous on the record. David said same thing. Yes ihe is half of the legal entity Pink Floyd.

11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

When was this taken? Never seen it before.

12. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'd hoped the official release of Moonhead would be a substantial upgrade in sound quality, and it isn't. Still pretty rough. However, being the complete performance, it's longer than any versions I'd heard ~ includes some BBC voice-over (which bootlegs avoided), but some extra music, as well. I've heard crisper versions, but those are also more trebly, with less low end than Continu/ation's has. So it's a matter of preference, I think.
    (Haven't heard the Japan mini album, but have heard several sources over the years.)

Turns out this was live on a soundstage in the same room with news broadcasters ~ kind of a multi-media presentation. So apparently there was no attempt to specifically capture the band's performance as a musical recording.

I edited out most of the voiceover and ended up with a version 6:52 in length. Is probably my go-to now.

(They actually performed this a few times in 1970, and one of those from Nov '70 is soundboard quality or very close to it...if you dig this piece and would want to seek that out, as well.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    andrewskyDE and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  13. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

On the "Lost in the Corridors" bootleg there is a live performance of Moonhead (Hanover July 1970) under the name Corrosion.

14. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The 1969 set is a good one in terms of great audio and video content. 2 x discs of audio including the full The Man/The Journey, some great BBC sessions, `More' out-takes and great live stuff from The Paradiso. Then 71 minutes of film etc including the Actuel Festival with Frank Zappa. That's the one i picked up after the Syd set, which to me is the most essential.

redflag and andrewskyDE like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...although his original playing is presumably all over most of the rhythm tracks...

16. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Thank you!!

17. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Well, my DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray has now failed despite light use. Bought in June 2011. Only consolation is that I have ripped the hi res stereo, quad and 5.1 tracks to my PC and can still play the lossy surround versions from the DVD. I suspect my chances of getting a replacement after 5 years are minimal, but I will try.

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just watching this blu ray now, and loving it.

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, Nick was involved when they were writing tracks for Division Bell and that's where his writing credit came from. But when David was putting together TER project Nick was brought in to record a few additional drum tracks and nothing more. That's a fact, label it any way you want to.

Six Bachelors and Hattipper like this.
  20. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Ordered!
    Thanks for the tip!

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This is interesting; I had assumed that Sum and Skins were given radical makeovers in the 2014 sessions as Mason was significantly contributing. I'm a little disappointed that he only turned up to bash out a couple of new bits on top of what was already there rather than giving at least some production input.

22. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It's a strange the way you are putting it though. Nick was involved in the original sessions but since he was minimally involved in TER he was a session musician?

I agree that he did play a minimal role in TER but to say he was basically a session player is a bit off imo.

Rooster_Ties and Instant Dharma like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

If thats the way you want to label it Nick was brought in as a session drummer on the Wall and Final Cut as well.

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

My personal favorite is Dramatis/ation. Second to Devi/ation, it has the most content, and imo, the best content. The Man and the Journey is essential. There's a great BBC session, and the Paradiso concert. The video content is great too. More and Ummaguma are my least favorite Floyd albums and that left me to not really care about Floyd in 1969 but this particular archive set changed that. Now I think it was their most interesting of their early years.

You won't go wrong with Reverber/ation. It is only one audio disc but it's a great one. Probably the best BBC session out of all of them.

Glubluk and redflag like this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

What you're lacking here is context. TER was created differently than any other Floyd album. For the Divison Bell sessions the group worked together making music as a band, the first time they had done things this way in a long time. DB was intended to be 2 albums, the one that was released and an instrumental album. The latter was scrapped when time ran out and the tour began. Andy edited some tracks together which was informally referred to as The Big Bong Theory. After Rick died Gilmour came across these sessions while he was working on Rattle That Lock and decided to create an entirely new album with the help of several producers. Nick was brought in to play a few new drum tracks for the album. So while Nick did participate in the original sessions in 1993 for DB he had a very minimal role in TER and was just brought in for those few sessions. And yes, Nick was also pretty much a session drummer for The Final Cut but participated much more for The Wall album and tour.

Hattipper, andrewskyDE and coffeetime like this.