Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My DSOTM Blu-ray has that same "wavy rainbow" look as yours does. Do the NA and European DSOTM Blu-rays have that same look?

2. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I have some Blu-ray's that have had that "wavy" look to them and they have been ok and were like that brand new.

In fact, the only Blu-ray disks that I've had a problem with were a couple of the movies that were recalled by the Criterion Collection a couple years ago or so; the disks appeared darkened or oxidized. Criterion did replace them, including one movie that was OOP.

If anyone is interested, Blu-Ray.com has a thread on this issue.

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Hadn't heard of the foam insert issue, but I keep the BDs from both my WYWH and DSOTM boxes in a separate case so I don't have to keep opening the box up, so i'm safe from that one.

Edit: the great thing about BDs is they are easy to rip for backup purposes.

4. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Just received my WYWH immersion and having read of issues with the 5.1 blu ray, i played it and DAMN, it has the clicks at 41:48, 43:54 and 44:10. Cant make out the matrix number but it does say optimal media.
    Does anyone know if there is / was a return policy (bought from amazon uk)
    thanks

5. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a quick update on the European DSOTM blu ray, I've seen confirmation on another forum of a couple of different players that have not had firmware updates over the last 5 years and that this disc, once playable, now is not. That appears to confirm there is a physical issue going on, be it the foam or some other antagonist. This one has become very elusive...:wtf:

6. Sevoflurane

I bought my WYWH from Amazon UK when the box was released, and I am sure I was sent a replacement BD without having to request it or having to return the box. I'd suggest contacting their customer services as it is a known issue and should be solvable without having to return the whole box. The skips you describe sound like the ones described when the box was released, i.e. a known production fault.

7. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I 'chatted' to the customer service rep and tried to explain that it was a known issue per reviews on the page, the response was it isn't a known issue and he knew nothing of the problem.
    His solution was to send me another set but my concern is that all European ones are affected and I'll then have 2 dodgy blu rays (the blu ray being the reason I got the set)

8. Sevoflurane

If I get chance I will look at my old Amazon orders to see what, if any, correspondence there was. I bought the box when it was released and multiple Amazon reviews describe exactly the issue you have experienced, so the customer rep is wrong.

9. Tornado Red

Just wondering if anyone who owns an unplayable blu ray has tried cleaning it? The procedure below I clipped from the Oppo 203 thread on AVS, and cannot personally vouch for it myself.

Problems

What do I do if a disc will not play?
    First: wash it.

Yes, even if the disc looks new, flawless, pristine. I was skeptical at first, but years of experience with Blu-ray convinced me. I have rescued a great many discs that would not work in the player or mount on a computer this way.

Immaculate discs may have invisible films from manufacturing that will interfere with playback. UHD discs are even more sensitve to films, dust, and fingerprints than Blu-ray.

This is what I do:

• Put the disc in a sink, label side down, data side up.
    • Run hot tap water over it for a minute or more.
    • Lightly sponge with data side with dish soap. Work radially, from the center to the edge. Never rub an optical disc in a circular motion around the hub.
    • Give it a good long rinse with hot water.
    • Dry with a soft cloth. I actually use paper towels. The coating on Blu-ray and UHD is pretty tough, but treat it gently.
    My totally unsubstantiated theory is that the plastic of these discs sometimes has internal stresses from manufacturing that causes them to spin funny. (Like a potato chip?) The heat and pressure of scrubbing them releases the stress, making them more playable.

Note that CDs and DVDs have softer coatings which are more scratchable, but which can be polished out with liquid abrasives. I would not try that on Blu-ray or UHD. Useless. Unwise.

10. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

What happened? Not a peep from anyone in 8 weeks!!
    I took my blu ray DSOTM out today to spin after 4 years at least and yep..no go.
    Optimal natch.
    Anyone try the washing thing? My disc obviously looks flawless ( I think I played it once when I first got the box). I tried bending the disc slightly before putting it in but same problem...unable to recognize disc.

11. Tornado Red

I've been following this issue over on the QQ forum and nothing to report from there either. Many things have been ruled out such as the packing foam in the box set off gassing or some such thing, areas of high moisture, firmware, etc. It does seem to mostly be the Optimal discs still. I was hoping that someone with an OPPO player would send their faulty disc in to OPPO, they're very good at diagnosing disc issues. I have an OPPO player but have the NA pressing which still works fine. If anything further comes my way I'll be sure to post here.

12. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

No playing issues here with my European release of the DSOTM Bluray (294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0 and 294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1).
    Still plays fine on my external USB BR-Drive Pioneer 'BDXL' BDR-XD04. I can see no degrading and no color change nor anything else unsual on the playing side.
    I always had all the disks including the bluray always been stored in the original box including the foam.
    Sorry, no Oppo player here to do some more testing.

Tornado Red likes this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I emailed Brain Damage to see if they may be able to raise the issue, no response as yet..

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  14. Sevoflurane

Tried playing mine today; disc not recognised by two different Blu Ray players and one PC Blu Ray drive. All three have read the disc before. Time to dig out the FLAC rips and create myself a DVD Audio replacement.

15. I **just** ordered a brand new (presumably brand new) copy from Deepdiscount.com, arriving in another week. I don't own a Blue Ray player, but if I can get the disc to track-up, and the menu to show on my neighbors machine -- does that essentially 'prove' that it's OK? Or is there more to it than that?

I'm not losing a ton of sleep over it, as clearly Blue Rays aren't especially important to me -- but eventually I'll get a player (I get around to hardware upgrades about a decade behind the rest of the world), and would prefer to have a working copy. Still, 90% of what I just bought the set for is what was on the CD's.

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This is happening too often to be a coincidence now. It's happening on multiple machines so, unless they used some really funky authoring that current Blu-Ray player firmware disagrees with, it does seem like it's the disc. Poor form.

bobcat likes this.
  17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

No problems here, the Blu ray plays perfectly and it has always been stored in the box.
    It's a European release, and my player is a Cambridge Audio, with firmware up to date.

Having said that, this thread is scaring me a little, as I purchased the immersion box set mainly for the surround mixes!
    I would go mad if it failed... even if I've always been mad.

mikew, bobcat, zinan and 2 others like this.
  18. Sevoflurane

Unsurprisingly, and quite reasonably, Amazon aren't going to replace a disc I bought 6 years ago. I guess I have the lower resolution versions of the same material on the DVDs and the backups. Disappointing when I have CDs that are 20+ year old that play perfectly and the most prized part of an expensive box set fails after 6 years despite appearing to be in pristine condition .

mikaal and bobcat like this.
  19. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I hear you...grrrr.

20. Sevoflurane

Just in the process of authoring a DVD with a DTS mix of the surround mixes, with a plan to do the same with the Meddle 5.1 mix from the early years box. Next step, get a Blu Ray writer and burn a 96K 24 bit 5.1 Blu Ray from my FLAC backups. No faulty disc will defeat me!

mikaal likes this.
  21. Some early Blu-ray pressings have had well-known, publicized failures. It's relatively rare but not unthinkable. On the movie side, I can't think of one studio that hasn't had problems at some point.

Criterion had a number of faulty pressings pressed around 2009-2010 that started rotting and eventually stopped playing.

22. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Ordered a new copy from importcds really cheap. The box had a made in EU sticker. Checked the disc and the bluray plays fine:

294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
    294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L

Worked on 2 different sony bluray players.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

So far my DSOTM blu-Ray is still playing fine. However, my copy of the Simpsons movie won't play on any of my machines now, including my Oppo. This is scary stuff as I have a very large blu-Ray collection.

24. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Wish i could say the same for my "EU" copy of the blu ray.

I would think, in a year or so, the will re-release all the catalogue again in deluxe editions with DVD-A 24/96.

It seems to be the gift that keeps on giving!

25. Sevoflurane

Even though it cost more than a new box set, I bought a Blu Ray writer. Having backed up the BD prior to it failing it was easy enough to burn a replacement BD. One advantage of home made BDs is that you can make a very simple audio only disc that plays on insertion without having to navigate any menus or even have the TV switched on. I now keep a spindle of home made BDs next to my surround system and the original discs can stay in their boxes. My current surround system plays Blu Ray and SACD but not DVDA, so I have been able to extract the audio from the few DVDAs I have and create BDs from them. Plus of course the Meddle 5.1 files are now playable from the EY box, and the full version of the Atom Heart Mother suite in quad without the early finish to Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

With a bit of luck my next surround system will be able to play straight from a hard drive / NAS / USB stick, but as an interim home made discs seem to work just fine and protect me against any other premature disc failures as long as I continue to maintain multiple backups.