Nirvana - Nevermind on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Emospence, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emospence

Emospence Forum Resident Thread Starter

How many versions are there, mainly 2? (regular & MFSL)

I recently snagged the regular for cheap, used. Been reading some old threads of people preferring the MFSL, is it worth getting if one already has the regular? Reading some comments about the boosted, harsh treble makes me hesitant..

I understand neither of these are exactly fantastic recordings.

2. stevef

stevef Senior Member

There is also the recent remaster of the original CD.
    I don't know how it sounds because I never bothered to pick it up. Already have the MoFi.

3. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

I'd probably name the "new" version as the worst remaster of all time - steer clear.

4. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Isn't there the originals both with or without the secret hidden track as well?

daveidmarx, bunniboila and AKA like this.
  5. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Yes, Europe got Endless, Nameless, US didn't, if I remember right (it's been a while since I checked this stuff out).

6. bleachershane

The original CD is perfectly fine, avoid the recent remasters. I have heard the MFSL and I wouldn't say there was enough of an improvement over the original to justify splashing out on it.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I second that, as is the original vinyl, which I liked better yet than the original Cd.

John Adam and bleachershane like this.
  8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

The US has "Endless, Nameless" without a doubt.

9. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

The original US CD accidentally left off E,N. It was re-added shortly after.

10. bleachershane

I'm talking absolute gibberish, ask me this fifteen years ago and I would've got it right! I'm thinking of 'In Utero' where non-US pressings of the album included the hidden track "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip" at the end.

But initial pressings of "Nevermind" supposedly didn't have "Endless, Nameless". I've not owned one without that track.

AKA likes this.
  11. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Me neither, and I got it pretty early.

Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol isn't all that, better to have In Utero end with All Apologies IMO.

bleachershane likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I have that version.

13. bleachershane

I do/did like "Gallons" as a teen, but I've been listening to the MFSL version of "In Utero" for so long and got very used to it ending with "All Apologies".
    In fact, I haven't heard "Gallons" for years if not a decade.

14. Ive got two copies of "Nevermind" one CRC with 'Endless Nameless' and the other non-CRC without the track.

I have three "In Utero" cd's, one 'Waif Me'/altered back cover art/disc face variant K-Mart/Wal-Mart. two other identical cd's except the color variation on the disc face and slight variation on each cover booklet.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  15. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Sorry to say it, but the MFSL is essential.

The MFSL of In Utero is another story.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  16. bleachershane

Care to elaborate?

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

First pressings did not have EN because when they made the CD master they didn't skip to the end, assuming the end of the album was the end of the album.

18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I found the MFSL Gold CDs to sound too bright for both titles. Others will feel differently and like the added detail.

19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I have this one, it was exclusive to Target stores to mark the album's 20th anniversary. It includes 9 b-sides/live bonus tracks.

There were bigger, more expensive "20th Anniversary" editions out there at the time but the price for this one was right for me :D

Nevermind by Nirvana

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The second pressing (i.e. original mastering with hidden track) is the best and luckily very common. MFSL is a bit bright for me.

John Grimes likes this.
  21. The MFSL CD has the tightest bass response. It's my favorite choice when playing Nevermind.

22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have the original and it sounds fine to my ears. Perhaps if I had the money I might purchase the mfsl version but I don't.

The remaster is bad. It is one of the worst remasters in my opinion.

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have the original European cd and European vinyl, they sound just great. No need for any other pressing or release of the album.
    The anniversary boxset (with that bad mastering) has some nice extras though, I think I might still get that set someday as I already have the similar release of "In Utero".
    Not sure what and why went wrong with "Nevermind" remaster, but there must have been some lesson learned as the remaster for "In Utero" was much, much better.
    Sometime ago I had that special feeling that I have to listen to the album with louder volume, eventhough I knew it was crankable, it just once again amazed me how it sounded so damn perfect.
    Neighbours might have heard it aswell.

24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I have the original CD (with EN, the one that you can find on every flea market for 1 buck), which sounds perfect and exactly the way the band intended, and it is highly crankable.
    I once listened to the MFSL and didn't like it. But: Avoid the DE like the plague, it is not listenable in my opinion.

Jonboy and bleachershane like this.
  25. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

[​IMG]

stef1205 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.