Spirit SACD's coming from Audio Fidelity, SH Mastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Electric, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

In my opinion, the Doors are/were more popular than Spirit. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about any Spirit release(s), and I agree, 2-3 pages don't do this great band justice.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

They definitely were more popular and achieved greater commercial success (I would say due to Jim Morrison's celeb status) but for the type of music freaks on the forum I would think this news would blow up.

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm not to familiar with Spirit - which album is Stairway To Heaven on?

GTOJUDGE and coniferouspine like this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I think Spirit is mostly popular among only older babyboomers. Different than Spirit, The Doors were also very influential for the later post-punk generation (from e.g. the band X to Echo and the Bunnymen). A part of the music feaks here (the relative younger ones) will by that not share your strong enthousiasm for Spirit (imo). I'm a real big music freak, owning an eclectic collection of more than 8000 cds, but - maybe because of my European background and/or my musical comfort zone in which I started once my love for music (postpunk) - I didn't ever hear of the band Spirit untill I became member here....

I listened however some day ago to that album (s/t) of Spirit at YouTube and I liked their music for the biggest part (for me a kind of remarkable mix of The Doors and Earth & Fire) and will purchase that AF album. Never young enough to learn, I think... :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  5. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Ha, good question. I'm guessing member is referring to Taurus from the s/t first lp, which is the song Randy California's estate sued Zeppelin on, & lost.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It's a shame that this is going to be the first thing most people think about when Spirit gets mentioned.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

Did Spirit ever have a song on top 40 radio? I remember they were all over FM radio back then, almost equally to the Doors.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was really surprised that I Got a Line on You was not at all representative of their sound. They really liked jazz.
    I borrowed a friend's cds years ago, made up a nice cdr and added the mono mix of Lin On You.

gorangers likes this.
  9. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

That would be a shame, as these are all great albums by a great band.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I recall hearing "I Got a Line on You" on AM back when.

gorangers, ssmith3046 and Electric like this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sardonicus is up there with the greatest rock albums. The earlier ones have their moments, too.

12. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I keep seeing headlines "Hoffman leads Masters by 4 shots"

When our host puts his clubs away maybe he could feed us a little more information such as mono/stereo , original mixes/1996/new mixes , original albums or bonus tracks as well

Or maybe we should speculate to give him a few pointers

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On deep cut classic rock stations you might hear "Nature's Way" or other cuts from Sardonicus.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The first 4 Spirit albums are a MUST for any serious rock fan. Grab 'em!

ssmith3046, gd0, Further and 3 others like this.
  15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, here's their singles chart positions:

1968 "Mechanical World" 123
    1968 "I Got a Line on You" 25
    1969 "Dark Eyed Woman" 118
    1969 "1984" 69
    1970 "Animal Zoo" 97
    1970 "Mr. Skin" (n/a)
    1971 "Nature's Way" 111
    1972 "Mr. Skin" [reissue] 92

So only "I Got a Line on You" cracked the Top 40.

Electric likes this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Spinoff band Jo Jo Gunne had a hit with "Run Run Run," and Jay Ferguson would have a late 70's solo hit "Thunder Island" and a followup "Shakedown Cruise."

Classicolin likes this.
  17. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Has anybody heard both the mono and stereo version and can tell me what they (dis)like about them ?

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Both are nice. Like a fair number of other albums of that era, the drums are usually off to the side in stereo so the great drumming of Ed Cassidy comes across a bit more in mono.

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Sardonicus is the only one I'm familiar with and the only must-buy for me. What other album by them would you recommend the most if you had to pick one?

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Hard to believe :cheers:

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The first.

sixelsix and bruce2 like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

They aren't as strong as Sardonicus, but each of the earlier albums has what I consider essential material. As mentioned above the first album is a strong recommendation, but I would actually go with Clear as their 2nd best after Sardonicus. The Family That Plays Together may be the spottiest of the bunch, but it has the "I Got a Line on You" hit as well as other great tracks.

gd0 and bruce2 like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Because not that many people share your opinion apparently. Me personally? I wouldn't even call it big news; I'd just call it news. But that's me.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Those are great, I had to get the Sonys for the bonus material as well.

25. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I would recommend The Family That Plays Together. Holds together well as an album and close with "Aren't You Glad" - Love that song

So there you go, 1 recommendation for each - you'll just have to get them all - money well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.