Beatles "Abbey Road" .... Vinyl Pressing Comparisons & Black Triangle CD, etc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Interesting, as I have these two pressings as well. I found I preferred the French Pathe as well but I rarely see it mentioned.

2. Vinylfindco

Interesting, as I have these two pressings as well. I found I preferred the French Pathe as well but I rarely see it mentioned. I
    I prefer the Pathe as well. Rarely hear it mentioned.

hi_watt and JP Christian like this.
  3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

So many Abbey Road pressings to try, so little time.

4. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

The first British pressing (-2/-1) is the way to go with Abbey Road. I've got three copies in near mint condition, one with the misaligned apple. They seem to be reasonably common here in England. I picked up all three copies from a local dealer (Raves from the Grave, Frome) for ten pounds each! I've also got a mid seventies British pressing with different matrix numbers that doesn't live up to the first pressing. The remastered vinyl also falls short IMO. Would be interesting to see an all analogue stereo version compete against the first pressing.

5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

I've sold many different top playing original AR's for about 50 dollars so they can be had cheaply .

BTW has anybody done a comparison on a A-3U export matrix copy ? ( a-3u / -1 )

6. muffmasterh

the -2 -1 copies were in press until around 75/6, however only copies before 1974 are on the higher quality heavier pre-oil crisis vinyl

Of course all of them will be -2-1 save for a few a-3U / -1 's

7. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The first 2 sets of AR lacquers were cut at The Beatles' Apple Studios by Mal Davies; -2/-1 and -3U/- 2U
    Don't think I've ever seen a -3/-2 combination for sale, but there's no reason to doubt that those cuts are not the sonic equal of the first pressing matrices.
    They would certainly have way less production mileage on them as they were seldom used.

Harry Moss cut the next Side 1 lacquer (-4) in October 1975, the next Side 2 lacquer (-3) in September 1976.
    There are also -4/-2U copies that were pressed between those mastering dates.

sjaca, peter and JP Christian like this.
  8. muffmasterh

you wont get an A-3U/ 2 as the A-3U's are mostly export label only and do not go past 1970, the side two -2 doesn't appear until the mid 70's....these A-3U's remain an oddity

9. peter

peter Senior Member

Although I like -2/-1's, my fave is the -4/-2U I bought new in 1978. However, I recently bought and enjoyed a -6/-4, that is just amazing, as well it should be with HTM in the dead wax. Quieter vinyl than a -2/-1, and better bass and more clarity, but a hint of shrillness which will be a turn off for some.

The German 1 C 062 orig. is excellent too - very close to a UK -2/-1, but with quieter vinyl.

Ben Sinise likes this.
  10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I can vouch for the HTM -4/-3 - it's my best sounding version - not shrill in the slightest so maybe he did a better job with his earlier cut? I personally prefer the -4/-3 over the -2/-1 which is 'fatter' sounding but the -4/-3 has superb clarity and still packs a punch.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  11. peter

peter Senior Member

Sounds like we are on the same page. Now, I shall have to acquire a -4/-3!

JP Christian likes this.
  12. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I have these AB:

1. 70's Purple Capitol
    2. UK -2/-2U
    3. MFSL
    4. 1987 US CD

I grew up with the Capitol but decades later after listening to a NM UK -2/-2U, it sounded awful to me (and I think my other US Purple Caps sound pretty good). I bought the MFSL after just to compare and while I love the quiet vinyl, the second you compare this to the UK, it's like another lesser record, and can't compete with the UK's booming bass and wide soundscape.

13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I have a 2012 Rainbo US pressed remaster which is decent play copy and a -4/-3 UK from 1979 which has the extra magic.

JP Christian likes this.
  14. JP Christian

I don't have a 2012, but the 2016 re-cut of Abbey Road that's part of the DeAgostini magazine subscription is actually very, very good - but yes, the UK -4/-3 HTM is the one for me that has the 'magic'!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  15. William A Childers

William A Childers Active Member

Having updated my turntable and cartridge, I'm trying to collect the best audiophile pressings of all The Beatles albums (so thankful that I found out on this forum about the German Horzu pressing of Magical Mystery Tour). So is the general consensus that the -4/-3 HTM stamped AR is the best audio quality? I thought I read elsewhere in this thread that some have a hard panning effect, so does this HTM pressing have that? Also, I would be greatly appreciative if someone could link me to the HTM pressing in question on Discogs, as I want to be sure I get the right one, if it is indeed the best!

Many thanks!

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Different flavors and whatnot.

Having said that, although there's no consensus, the UK 1st pressing (-2/-1) has even more fans.

Cassius likes this.
  17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have a excellent copy of a Apple U.S. SO-383 early pressing that I like very much. I also have the 90's reissue also and it's ok. The '69 Apple sounds better. Is there any other fans of this pressing here? I think it sounds great. I also like the original '68 Apple U.S. White Album also but I know I'm probably a minority with that one.

18. William A Childers

William A Childers Active Member

Since upgrading my cartridge, I can now hear a distinct difference between LP's mastered in analog and ones mastered from a digital source, so I definitely want to stay in the all-analog domain--that's why I shy away from any re-issues after the early 80s, unless I know that they are specifically from the master-tapes--vis-à-vis the mono Beatles box set. Thanks for the replies, I guess maybe I should hunt for a first UK pressing.

19. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I lucked into a M- copy of Abbey Road in Portobello (London) a few years ago (-2, misaligned apple, no "Her Majesty" credited on the sleeve).
    Mint minus indeed: just some crackle on the sides run-in grooves and the odd tick between tracks. Other than that, perfect. As a result,
    I sold my toshiba cd (yes I did and I haven't lost any sleep over it!!!) and other "abbey roads" lying around (1987 cd, 2012 remaster,etc...). Nothing comes remotely close. I'll be buried
    with it in case my daughter refuses to keep it.

LitHum05 and blutiga like this.
  20. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I have a red vinyl 1st press JPN AP-8815 coming soon. Wonder if it'll be any better than the "Pro Use" or "Beatles Forever" AP pressings? Nice colored vinyl.......that's for sure!

JP Christian likes this.
  21. JP Christian

I think you may find it will beat the pro-use - I was a little disappointed with it, both the (Beatles Forever) AP and later EAS sound better to my ears than the pro use - there's nothing 'wrong' with it except it's just a bit...well, boring - it doesn't sparkle as much as the others, and the EAS is not bass-shy like a lot of the other EAS releases - my personal favourites that I own are:

UK -4/-3 - 1st, by a hair!
    UK -2/-1 - an incredibly close 2nd, in fact this and the -4/-3 could be joint 1st
    UK 2/-2 - 3rd self explanatory really!
    Japan AP and Japan EAS - both a very close 4th - I'll have to listen again but I remember not being able to choose between them - they must be different cuts but they both sound very similar

They are my faves - if I was to carry on ranking, 5th is the 73' Pathe Marconi (for UK), 6th would be the Japan Pro-Use (too polite and not very musical), 7th would be the MOFI (too thin and lean) and 8th would be my US Capitol (flat and fairly void of dynamics).

22. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The UK -2/-1 is still my go to copy. I do own both the "Pro Use" and 73' AP that get played on occasion, but the 1st press UK is still tops IMO. I'm just picking up some select Japan Beatles pressings when available at a reasonable price and in nice shape.

JP Christian likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

MoFi too thin and lean? Can't say I've read that comment often - and the polar opposite of what mine sounds like.

SteelyNJ and john lennonist like this.
  24. Vinylfindco

I was going to say the same thing -

john lennonist likes this.
  25. JP Christian

It has little (or no) mid-range - the EQ is far too 'smiley' for me, and the treble especially is unnecessarily boosted - it's right down my list because I don't find it engaging at all, it's not terrible, but in comparison to a UK or Japan pressing, it pales. Even the '73 Pathe Marconi pressing sounds more musical to me than the MOFI - I sold mine.

vinylbeat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.