Portable bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bernard W, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernard W

Bernard W New Member Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm thinking to buy myself a portable bluetooth speaker which I can bring along wherever I go. But am wondering if light weight should be one of the consideration I should take account if I were to bring it where I go. On the other hand I would not want to sacrifice the sound quality. Any thoughts or experience from users on requirements I should consider, when looking for a bluetooth speaker?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

My sis has a Bose Soundlink. It is somewhat bulky, but for what it is I was pretty impressed. Synced quick to her Iphone, no dropouts.
    She uses it mainly outdoors.

ronbow likes this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Welcome aboard the forum. Bose IMO has a house sound that is a bit more on the boomy/bloated side, although it provides very nice projection if that is the goal. My wife uses the Soundlink Mini for podcasts and it is easy to use and has been performing very well, I use it from time to time for music. It isn’t the most portable thing though and is fairly heavy, so more throw in a roller bag vs. your messenger bag.

I would guess the Soundmatters foxL gets most of the accolades for compactness and accuracy. I have an old non-bluetooth version, and I would always go to it if I wanted a more correct tonal presentation vs. the Soundlink where I was more trying to fill a room and didn’t care about the boominess. The foxL is tiny so darn near fits in your pocket.

People seem to like the JBLs, which has less expensive options than the two above, although I have not heard one yet.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

SandAndGlass and c-eling like this.
  5. lukatherfan

lukatherfan Forum Resident

6. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Both of mine are made by Soundfreaq. The Pocket Kick sounds great for its size!

8. Maxi Liam

Maxi Liam New Member

Hey there!
    Portable outdoor bluetooth speaker model should be your pick. Latest portable bluetooth speaker models are small in size, so light weight. And even though it is small, the sounds are loud.
    As per your requirements, you should consider the following while choosing your speaker-
    -powerful battery
    -battery with powerbank feature
    -waterproof design
    -20 to 30 audio power watt

These are the important features you should consider while buying a bluetooth speaker.

9. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I use a UE Roll2 at the beach, softball, anywhere outdoors. Has a built on bungee cord to attach it to things. It takes a beating, sounds good and is pretty much water proof.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

11. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident

Harmon /Kadron onyx studio 3 will blow the competition out of the water. only downside is portability, but if performance is top then GO FOR IT.

12. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

You said you want to "bring along wherever I go", which would suggest to me that weight, and maybe waterproofness, would be important criteria. But, as you say that maybe weight wouldn't be a consideration and you want good sound quality, I'll add my two cents.

I've tested many Bluetooth speakers and almost all are either muddy, shrill or just generally lacklustre.

Bose Soundlink Mini II is quite bass heavy, to the point of being distractedly unbalanced in some music. Other than the exaggerated bass, it's decent for the size and price. If only it were less bass heavy, or if they had a bass-reduction switch (an anti-loudness switch?).

I bought a House of Marley Get Together speaker. It's visually beautiful and the sound is pleasing. But, its Bluetooth connection is unreliable. My iPhone had to have its volume up to maximum to maintain the Bluetooth connection even with fairly loud music, and that was with the phone only a metre away from the speaker. When playing music with greater dynamic range, e.g. jazz and classical, during quiet passages the speaker would repeatedly lose the connection. Google searching found that this is a common issue with many users, so no point in trying a different unit of the same model.

After rejecting the Bose SoundLink Mini II, due to boomy unnatural bass, and various other speakers I auditioned, I kept the Sony h.ear go SRSHG1.

It supports both WiFi and Bluetooth connections, pairing with other speakers, and various other features that I'm not yet using. But, the main thing for me is that this has excellent sound for the size.

It sounds good both at high volume and low volume. Treble has good clarity, midrange seems balanced, bass is present when appropriate but sounds tight and not unnaturally exaggerated or boomy like the Bose. The build quality is excellent, this feels like a quality piece of equipment. It may not be what you'd want to toss into a knapsack to take to a picnic, as it's heavy for its size. I use it mainly in my bedroom, and don't really need a lot of portability. Unlike the House of Marley speaker, the Bluetooth connection is solid even at low volume and long distance.

After auditioning so many disappointing speakers, and generally liking the Bose but hating the exaggerated bass, I had almost given up finding a small Bluetooth speaker that sounded good. This one sounds good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    enfield likes this.
  13. Maxi Liam

Maxi Liam New Member

The Sony H.ear Go is one of the best portable bluetooth speakers as far as audio sound quality is concerned. It is one of the premium speaker that offers high resolution audio output. For me, everything is great about this speaker- the design, features, sound quality. Except that it is not waterproof.

14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I have a Bose Mini. It's base heavy if you put it next to a wall. But sounds okay 6" from the wall. Actually it's pretty impressive. But Bluetooth has been intermittent quite often. I'm not sold on Bluetooth as a reliable method. It has a long way to go to catch up to a wired solution if you ask me.

If occasional dropouts are not a big deal then it's a great unit for you.

15. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

We are very happy with our JBL Flip 3 which has worked very well both inside and outside. We're not audiophiles and we play all sorts from country to jazz to modern dance music - I don't feel the speaker is built to favour one style of music over another, which is why we like it. We enjoyed taking it to a friend's place for an outside dinner and played mostly mellow jazz through it - they seemed to like it. They had the same model last time we visited, so they must have decided to invest in one themselves. Also, we like that we can hang it from its carry handle - works on the back of the bathroom door or from a plant hanger outside!

Fruff76 likes this.
  16. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I heard the Vifa Helsinki portable bluetooth speaker at a friend's house. Large room filling sound. Quite
    Impressive for the size of the speaker.

17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

That's the one that I have and I like it. It cost more than I was planning to spend, but it sounded WAY better than any of the other brands and models on offer.

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I will qualify my endorsement by saying that I always have iTunes EQ set at Bass Reducer. The HK wasn't boomy compared to all the Sony models and other brands that I listened to, but it's still too bassy.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not bothered with stereo, indoors ..small midrange will do.
    Brand :what's out there ... JBL others ?

20. beercanchicken

UE are pretty great and had some serious price reductions post-black Friday. The new little Sony ones aren't bad either, with the LEDs; they have been price reduced hard too. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those 3 brands.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As Elvis said "Blue Christmas "indeed.

beercanchicken likes this.
  22. beercanchicken

Fruff76 and alexpop like this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

A friend had a UE Boom going at recent get together, it was pretty well balanced tone wise, less bloated than the Bose Soundlink. We couldn't figure out which it was supposed to face but I guess that's the point.

24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I like my Riva Turbo X

500Homeruns likes this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I swear by my UE boom - use it at the beach and don't worry about it geting wet.

Stone Turntable likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.