LP Storage Method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For my 40+ years of owning LP's, I have pretty much stored them the same way. That is record in a quality inner sleeve inside the record jacket and then that inside a quality outer sleeve. About a week ago I went to a record store I had never been to before and all LP's were stored in a Japanese style outer sleeve with the records not in the outer jacket, see pics below. It got me wondering if this is a better method of LP storage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

3. rockin_since_58

It made think that there is less protection for the record. Perhaps the thinking is less chance of seam splits if you are not taking it in and out of the outer sleeve.

4. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Better to ship this way. But storage? No.

Dude111, coniferouspine and zphage like this.
  5. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

I've done it both ways. As long as you're careful handling your LP's, I don't see it makes much difference. If you're not handling them real carefully, put the record inside the jacket like you've always done it. For myself, the only time I usually put the record outside the jacket as pictured above is when the jacket has seam splits and I don't want the split to get worse.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I agree with Dr. Mudd that it's preferable to ship this way but it's just overkill for storage. Having said that, it doesn't hurt anything to store that way.

lightbulb likes this.
  7. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I store them in the hard sleeve for extra protection

8. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I'm guessing the store does this because it cuts down on the amount of times the record is removed from it's sleeve by people checking condition lessening the risk of cover damage. Also, shop keepers can quickly see that the record and cover match at checkout. I've heard tales of people putting an expensive/better record inside a cheaper cover.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I just went to the "In" Groove (in Phoenix) recently for the first time too. Great store, I asked about the storage method and they said it's about the presentation. I switched the albums I bought back to regular outer sleeves when got home.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. santos6

santos6 Well-Known Member

I have read it decreases ring wear on the jacket, not sure if it is in fact true.

11. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The only records I store like that are ones where there is already some really profound danger of a seam split happening (or already happened quite badly) or in a few rare cases, when the inner sleeve doesn't seem to fit in well and constantly wrinkles/jams. And things like Captain Beefheart "Clear Spot" with the clear sleeve --I store that one like in the picture above because mine's pretty tattered/beat up and I don't want to keep flipping the flap every time. But it's only a handful of records that are like that. Storing them all like that, even one accidental swipe of the back of your fingers (nails) across the back at the wrong angle, could cause you trouble.

spridle likes this.
  12. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I absolutely HATE screwing around with those re-sealable sleeves. Total pain in the behind. Probably OK for archival storage but not good for people who actually play their records.

13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Great store but a bit pricey IMO. The owner of this store was banned from another record store in town because he would go in and buy up all the good stuff and sell it at his store marked up. I assume you know about Record High on University as well. If not check it out. I love their vintage setup they play records on.

Both of these stores store the records this way. I don't see advantage to it.

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In my perfect dream world, wherein Time, Expenses, Resources, Shelf Space, Sleep, Social Interaction, etc are not limited:

I'd store my records as:
    VINYL :
    1. Inserted in a poly inner sleeve,
    2. Which is inserted in a generic white cardboard cover sleeve, with circular die-cut, so record label is visible.
    3. Insert all in a plastic sleeve. No sticky flap.

ALBUM COVER:
    1. Insert in a plastic sleeve. Both "openings" are facing "eastward". (This would be the very last time I would ever need to touch the actual cover.)
    2. Insert into an outer plastic sleeve, the opening is facing northward.

Place both side by side on shelf.
    No concerns for ring wear.

JohnVinylJames likes this.
  15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Repeat below procedure for 7" picture sleeves.
    (Instead of cardboard cover, use generic white paper sleeves.)

16. Marc Perman

I don't know Record High but will check it out next time I'm in The Valley of the Sun. Prices at "In" Groove are kind of high but their stock is great condition. I was happy to pay $22 for a clean green label copy of Black Sabbath's s/t.

17. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I`m about to run out of shelf space, should I ask the wife if I can utilise the bunk beds? The grandkids sleep in them when they visit but we have sleeping bags.

18. Marc Perman

Start with the nice plastic crates at The Container Store.

19. rockin_since_58

I was also impressed with the quality of the LP's I purchased. Much better than what I have available in the Los Angeles area.

20. JohnVinylJames

JohnVinylJames Member

Those crates are awesome and super cheap!

21. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

22. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I shop at both stores and find their prices comparable and Inner Groove sells records that Record High doesn't sell such as AP. BTW, I got some great deals in the $1 bins at IG but I buy some strange stuff. IG also cleans all the records in their ultra sound and I've returned a few used records that sounded like crap which is rare. He'll spin it and listen to how it sounds.

Both stores are good and a far cut above Zia which sells used crap although I do buy used CDs there.

I store my records as the OP's photo indicates for ease and with 2 sleeves protecting it I doubt anything will happen to the vinyl.

23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I use resealable sleeves and listen to records nearly everyday. The flap should be on the same side as the opening for the jacket. Open flap, pull record from jacket. It's simple.
    No need to remove the jacket from the outer sleeve.

24. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Yep, I use the sealed ones, too. Plus, they make the artwork pop; I like the clear ones better than the dull colored sleeves.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My preferred storage arrangement is record outside the jacket. First, there is no need to touch the jacket, and the record/inner sleeve slides out easily, no fiddling with custom glossy inner... as repeated handling may crease a corner or fraze the edge. (the less handling the better) A gatefold can always be removed to open for enjoyment. I've had no problem with record rings or creasing. Only UK jackets, Germany and Japan need extra help. These can be placed against a cardboard stiffener to protect fragile corners and edges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.