Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Searchin' high, searchin' low, searchin’ everywhere I know, but I don't see an ongoing Dylan listening thread. Something that I might have missed?

What Dylan have you been listening to, or watching?

I listened to Hard Rain this afternoon. Been awhile since my last listen to this, and I wanted to see if my opinion had changed at all. Nope, same opinion! The couple songs I do like, I really like - Shelter from the Storm and Idiot Wind. And to a lesser extent, Memphis Blues Again. But everything else is not my cup of tea. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DVD release!

"Dylan prowled the stage like a caged lion, snarling into the microphone and glaring at his audience with what Joan Baez called his "... viper eyes." "Hard Rain" (the film) was broadcast on NBC on September 10th 1976, to a generally poor response. Among the words used to describe it were "artless," "an anti-special," and "a mess." This is a pity, because viewed almost thirty years later, this is a truly compelling piece of film - it may be ragged in places, but there is more passion and intensity than you will witness in any slick, polished, ultimately false musical extravaganza in today's famous for fifteen minutes world." - Peter James, Warehouse Eyes

[​IMG]

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I've been listening to Triplicate over and over and over again, which inspired me to sneak Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels into the mix while I was at it. Don't see that much changing for my Bob listening, but when it does I'll probably gravitate back to the 1966 stuff (live and studio) from the last couple years.

The Cat 3, DeeThomaz and JRM like this.
  3. JRM

My Triplicate is in the mail. But I've been listening to the 10 song sampler on Spotify and am looking forward to having more!

4. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Today I listened to different parts of the master take of "Like A Rolling Stone" from The Cutting Edge box.

Rickchick and JRM like this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I watched 'No Direction Home' today after recently purchasing the Blu-ray anniversary edition. Might put the extras on shortly. As for listening; my current favourite is "Love & Theft".

Tom34772, Jimmy B. and JRM like this.
  6. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I listened to the MOFI SACD of Blood On The Tracks............so good.
    John Wesling Harding SACD is always in rotation.

Tom34772, Stencil, dalem5467 and 3 others like this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I heard Bob Dylan got back together again. :winkgrin:

8. Chris Schoen

Is that a hybrid SACD?

9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Could be my favorite Dylan LP, Stuck inside of Memphis is perfect!

mark winstanley and JRM like this.
  10. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

An under appreciated record for sure, and that reading of "Shelter" is essential. I go on big Bob kicks every few years and am due for another.

11. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

JWH is the hybrid.

12. Chris Schoen

Thanks! :righton:

13. Chris Schoen

What is the best vinyl release of Blood On The Tracks. I have a 180g reissue that somehow got some skips in it, and I need to replace it.

14. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

15. JRM

Going to the gospel years for an Easter pick :cool:

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread! I listened to Triplicate again this morning while I had the house to myself. Absolutely love it, and it has inspired me to check out Sinatra who I have never had any real interest in before. Have been enjoying some of Frank's albums.

I also listened to Before the Flood last week. I really like that album a lot, though I know it splits opinion. Loud, fast and so much energy. Always good when I'm in the mood for it and I love the Band songs as well.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

18. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

I've been reaching for Triplicate much more than I'd expected, as the early two songbooks albums didn't do much for me. Triplicate really is a gem, though. The band sounds so much better here to my ears.

Also listened again to the Dublin acoustic set from the '66 box. I hadn't really gone back to the box since playing it through on first listen, but think I'll start pulling discs out again.

19. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

That's an old joke but you only told the punchline. It requires the set up.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

willied, Spazaru, smoke and 1 other person like this.
  21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Having just read Robbie Robertson's bio I started listening to that era of stuff. I finally grabbed the last few bootleg series I had previously waited on (cutting edge, basement tapes, another self portrait). I tried the 2-cd versions first but they didn't cut it for me so I gulped and went in for the big versions. Just getting through them now but it's a much better experience (for me) than knowing I'm just getting a little taste of what all there really is. No Direction Home and the original Basement Tapes albums do a great job of that. For further immersion the whole kitchen sink needs to come next.

JRM likes this.
  22. JRM

"I need a dump truck mama to unload my head"

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

At least once a week I visit what I consider to be one of Dylans best time periods. His best band and some of his most expressive singing was done around the 2000-2002 period. If youve never heard his performances at Wembley then its a real treat to give this a listen. I probably listen to this time period more than any other Dylan.

00 10 06

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Hahahaha! :laugh:

25. Chris Schoen

Yeah, I know. Kind of random huh.

stewedandkeefed likes this.