Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Paddy the Pelican began in 1950 as a local TV puppet show on Chicago's WENR-TV. Paddy's adventures were presented in comic strip drawings done by Sam Singer.

In 1954 Paddy appeared in six animated films done by Singer. The films, while nicely crafted, were essentially pencil tests.​

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

"The Mascot", a 1933 stop-motion short by Ladislas Starewicz is pretty impressive.

I first saw it (well, portions of it) on USA Network's old "Night Flight" series back in the 80s.

YouTube only has a few snippets available, but the entire film is available to watch or download at Archive.org:

3. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Pikadon (1978)
    I saw this back on the PBS series "International Animation Festival" hosted by Jean Marsh

4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I saw this gem at Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation.

Old Rusty and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Fraidy Cat: A segment of the show Uncle Kroc's Block (other segments were M. U. S. H. (Mangy, Unwanted, Shaggy Heroes) and Wacky And Packy).

6. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

A cartoon from my childhood.

jerol

Grootna, bekayne, Manapua and 3 others like this.
  7. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Vem ska trösta knyttet?

This Swedish animated short from 1980 was based off one of Tove Jansson's Moomin books - there have been quite a few TV and film adaptations of this series, the most well known being the Japanese-European animated series from the 1990s and the Polish-German stop motion series from the 1970s-80s, though this particular version is just a standalone cartoon and is one of the more obscure adaptations. The soundtrack was taken and edited from a concept album by Peter Lundblad that was also based off the same story.

8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

This one is pretty rare and I can't say I've ever seen it on TV and I go back to the early 60s.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

vinnie likes this.
  10. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

This is one called "Luno", it aired in the mid 60s, but I remember seeing syndicated versions in the early 70s I guess. Never saw any since, but of course they're all up on youtube:

11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

a lesser known Max Fleischer character BIMBO.

seed_drill likes this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This was created by the same team that later created Rocky & Bullwinkle (under the program's various titles).

Steve Carras likes this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Ignatius likes this.
  14. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The Maxx (part of MTV's awesome Liquid TV)

Pirates of Dark Water (90s show)

Deputy Dawg

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Hammerman- The M.C Hammer cartoon.

It looks like they spent about $100 to make this show.

altaeria likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Charlie Brown is on the run from the Peanuts Gang after the Great Pumpkin puts a bounty on his head in this wild animated student short by Jim Reardon.

bekayne, Dudley Morris and JamieC like this.
  17. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I hope claymation is okay for this thread... I remember watching this many moons ago on a long gone VHS compilation of various animation shorts...

18. PaulKTF

That's great! Claymation takes so incredibly long to shoot and I'm aways impressed with the end result.

chilinvilin and Spadeygrove like this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Einstein Theory of Relativity

1923 film directed by Max and Dave Fleischer in collaboration with science journalist Garrett P. Serviss. The film was an attempt to explain Einstein's theory of relativity to a broad, non-scientific audience.

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

God Bless the Canadien Film Board! My film studies teacher at Ball State University screened "The Big Snit" in 1977, and has become a favorite ever since for me (and now my wife). Richard Concie is also responsible for "The Cat Came Back", and most recently I saw his work nominated for an animated short in the Oscars. His work was easily recognizable, even though he didn't get a credit until the end of the short.

I am also quite sad that George Plympton's "Your Face" isn't avaiable on YaTubes - it's a true classic, and it's all about Plympson's scratchy, colored-pencil style, morphine a face into unbelieveably funny contortions, all to the slowed-down recording of the song in the title. Actually, Plaympton's ever bad, so look around for whatever will confirm to you that animation without "the weird" is just a waste of cells.

Texastoyz, AndrewS, bekayne and 2 others like this.
  22. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea

This French 52 episode cartoon originally aired from 1985 to 1987. For this upload, someone took the English audio and synced it with the visuals off the French DVD (it's the only place it's been released on DVD as far as I'm aware), hence why the opening text and end credits are in French.

Texastoyz and KatCassidy like this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

If you were a kid in the early 70s in the UK you might remember this, I received the books (all six of 'em) for my birthday in 1972, and I've still got them.

Sir Prancelot...

Halfwit likes this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

The Cat Came Back, this is great, I've no idea if it's obscure though...

25. PaulKTF

Sports Cartoons staring Cat and Hippo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.