"Django" the 2017 Django Reinhardt film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    This new film stars Reda Kateb as Django Reinhardt and focuses on his experiences during World War II, during the Nazi occupation of France in 1943. Much like some of the other biopics which have been based on the lives and careers of musicians, some recent reviews have suggested that parts of the story are fictionalized.
    [​IMG]
    As a fan of Django and history in general, I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. I remember reading that during the German occupation of France, Django Reinhardt's composition "Nuages" became the ultimate anthem of resistance to the Nazis. Jazz clubs played a big role in the resistance and the Hot Club did more than play great music; they allegedly gathered intelligence. Although Hitler wasn't a fan of the music and personally believed that jazz was an evil form of art created by the Jews, he attempted to remain on good terms with the French people by allowing the music. Hitler intended for these jazz clubs to serve as places of relaxation for the Nazi soldiers. Considering what the Nazis were doing to the Jews and the Gypsies at that time, Django, (a Gypsy himself), survived the war and continued to play music until his death in 1953.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He made a statement by using his two fingers for fingering chords, or for raising them up in the air as a defiant pose.

3. alexpop

Great color pic of him and Fred Astaire ..Paris 1944,

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

A must-see!

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why do these movies always have to have a Nazi element to somehow make them more exciting? The contrast has become boring.

Having said that, Im glad that anyone would consider making a movie about this great guitarist.

arley likes this.
  6. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

These movies...biopics re: musicians? Probably safe to conclude that Django's life was made more exciting by the Nazis.

7. alexpop

Agree. The hot jazz quintet always thought synonymous with the thirties.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'd be first in line for Kenny G vs Nazi's from Space though.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

:laugh:

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Experts estimate as many as half a million Romani people (commonly known as "Gypsys") were murdered by the Nazis, and that's something that, as far as I know, hasn't been dramatized in a popular movie. If a film about a beloved musician can bring that to public attention (and provide dramatic tension) I'm fine with that.

From my link:
    In France, Vichy French authorities intensified restrictive measures against and harassment of Roma after the establishment of the collaborationist regime in 1940. In 1941 and 1942, French police interned at least 3,000 and possibly as many as 6,000 Roma, residents of both occupied France and unoccupied France. French authorities shipped relatively few of them to camps in Germany, such as Buchenwald, Dachau, and Ravensbrück.

Mr. H, smilin ed, kanakaris and 3 others like this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Anyone see this?

12. alexpop

Would have preferred a bio pic of his early gypsy life, losing fingers.. culminating in his playing with the hot jazz club in the thirties.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Summer bump

melstapler likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I've got the bug to read this now :

[​IMG]

15. arley

arley Forum Resident

Glen Campbell was a fine in-demand session guitarist before he achieved pop stardom. Some years ago I heard an interview with him on NPR.

He said "When I was fifteen I knew I was going to be the best jazz guitarist in the world. Then I heard some Django Reinhardt records and realized that job had already been filled."

smilin ed and Scope J like this.
  16. Just finishing it & what an illuminating read.

Scope J likes this.
  17. Django was a strong influence on so many great guitarists as diverse as Jimmie Hendrix & Joe Pass.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

With a big ass monkey as his sidekick.

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s Jimi Hendrix. And, don’t forget Dickey Betts. :)

2channelforever likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

OMG!

smilin ed likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Still, has anybody seen the movie?
    Seems to be a difficult film to find.
    Ebay has them, but I'm not particularly fond of the asking prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.