KEF LS50 Wireless or LS50 + New Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jp2000, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp2000

jp2000 New Member Thread Starter

Thank you for any input in advance.

I currently have a Brio-R, RP3 with Dynavector 10x5 and Pioneer FS52 (Andrew Jones Floor-standing) speakers.

I would like to upgrade my speakers to the KEF LS50. I have read that the Brio-R may be sufficient but may not be enough to take advantage of the LS50’s capabilities. Is this true?

Would it be best to purchase the LS50 Wireless speakers? Or to explore another amp (something like Rogue Cronus? or similar?

Thank you for any input.

High Fidelity and Spsesq like this.
  2. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

My recommendation would be the KEF LS50 with a tube amp. Rogue, Raven, PrimaLuna.... the list goes on. I've tried the LS50 with other SS amps and nothing comes close to tube amplification with it. The KEF LS50 are great speakers but can be picky with amps so try to audition together. Good luck and have fun!

darkmatter, Spsesq and krlpuretone like this.
  3. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Not to mention they suck up a bit of power.

tmtomh and Joe Spivey like this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Cronus and LS50's are a fun combo....work very well together in my opinion.

And the new wireless 50's sound down right amazing......but you would need to add a phono stage with this option.

I think you would likely enjoy either. I think you would end up a lower price point with the wireless+phono stage option.

NYMets41, Spsesq, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  5. jp2000

Thank you for the feedback - I have been curious about the LS50 Wireless - I have been searching but have not found many reviews. I have read many positive reviews of the LS50+Tubes producing great results.

6. jp2000

Thank you for the feedback - in your opinion, how would you compare the ls50 wireless with the ls50 + cronus set up? Thanks!

Spsesq likes this.
  7. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I got the LS50 wireless early this year and I think they're incredible. I moved from an Arcam FMJ A29 + PSB Imagine 2xt combo. I moved from a smooth, clean and detailed sound to an amazing rich, textured and detailed sound. I've never tried tube amps but I think you can't go wrong with the LS50 Wireless.

tmtomh and wgb113 like this.
  8. Joe Spivey

Check out this review from John Darko if you haven't. He's a big fan of the KEF LS50 so his praise of the wireless edition is significant.

KEF LS50 Wireless review & DAR's Product of the Year 2016 | DAR__KO

NYMets41 and tmtomh like this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I recently went from a 14 wpc vintage Fisher tube amp to a Brio-R with my LS50's, and vastly prefer the Brio with these speakers.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Joe Spivey

I wonder if that says more about the Fisher than it does about the Brio? Not knocking...perhaps the 14wpc or power supply wasnt enough... Good to hear you enjoy the Brio/LS50 match however. Given the difficulties to match the LS50, I'm starting to think the wireless option is by far the easiest and safest bet for most..

Then again, I haven't looked back after moving on from 100wpc SS amp for the LS50s to a 30wpc tube amp.

11. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I don't think any of the amps mentioned will hold a candle to the LS50W, they really are as head and shoulders above the passive version that Darko makes them out to be.
    I lived with a pair of passive for nearly four years, combined with a McIntosh MA6300. I sold them and lived with a pair of B&W N805s for a year but was missing that LS50 sound. When the active version was announced I started planning. I've had them for close to two months and they put a smile on my face each and every time. It's what KEF wanted this speaker to sound like from the get-go.
    If the "all-in-one" approach isn't something you find limiting I'd urge you to find a dealer and try to audition both.

12. action pact

That is my conclusion, yes.

I have some rehabbed 90dB Boston Acoustics speakers that I'm going to try with the Fisher!

Joe Spivey likes this.
  13. jp2000

Encouraging feedback so far, thanks!

14. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

Would the wireless version work in a big family room that has a cathedral ceiling?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As a loudspeaker engineer, let me say that in theory a powered speaker should be best, since the amp can be matched to each driver and the crossover implemented actively.
    BUT.
    After listening to some passive Dynaudios, me and a buddy were disappointed by their active version. It was just missing something. Meanwhile, as a long time KEF fan, I was surprised to not like the LS50 over much.
    --> You really need to listen for yourself, and see if you like the basic speaker. If so, try to listen to it with a tube amp, then compare to the powered version. It would also be interesting to me to hear LS50s with a massive transistor amp (which I perhaps incorrectly think could have a lot more power versus tube for the same price points).

Shiver and tmtomh like this.
  16. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Just curious, if you are running an all analogue chain, but using the wireless speakers, does the sound get converted to a digital signal to travel to the speakers? Just curious. I realize that doesn't necessarily mean a degradation in sound.

17. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Sure it would work, but you would likely not have much low end (of course you could add a sub for this).

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Yes, the LS50W converts analog to digital.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. action pact

That sounds like a recipe for built-in obsolescence down the road.

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

How so?

21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Personally, I'd recommend the LS50s in a smaller/mid-size room with a lower ceiling...

A big room with cathedral ceiling = KEF R700 or R900

22. action pact

Think about how far digital audio has come in just the past decade.

23. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Meh - I'm not concerned with what might/might not happen in the next 10 years in terms of digital. At 24/192 they should be fine for quite a long time.
    Not to mention - it's conversion of an analog signal to digital can't become obsolete...unless analog outputs become obsolete.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    NYMets41 and Bananas&blow like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That would be enough of a reason for me to go with the wires and an amp. I've put way too much effort into an analog chain to throw a digital step in the mix.

25. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

You've better ears than I sir!
    To these ears the benefits the active version has brought over the passives is too much to go back.

Brother_Rael, Robert C and ThorensSme like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.