Has anyone here been to "the Record Collector" on Melrose in LA?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by merlperl, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Truly an interesting experience!! Sort of like the "Soup Nazi" of record stores. Incredible collection of over half a million titles.

Sandy, the owner is a curmudgeon, Luddite but fascinating guy. He is accompanied by Henry, who is "on the spectrum" but if asked about a particular artist will disappear into the stacks and then re-appear with precisely what was asked for. Like an autistic Igor.

Sandy will berate and attempt to educate anyone that doesn't fully embrace analog. He has no use for zeroes and ones and doesn't consider digital to be music on any level or in any realm.

Now, I happen to have bonded with him and actually enjoy conversing with him. However he will size you up the second you walk in and based on some questions regarding your equipment and listening habits, pass judgement on whether or not you are "worthy" to browse his collection. Actually you can't really browse until you earn the privilege. You need to know precisely what you want and let him know when you first start shopping there.

Read the reviews on yelp... you will get a much clearer picture if you haven't been there.

It is truly one of the more interesting experiences I have ever had going in that place. I'm glad I passed muster with him initially and I went back with my girlfriend's 22 year old son Stephen and Sandy took it upon himself to launch a 40 minute lecture to the kid about the horrors of digital music and what it's doing to his brain. Stephen began shooting back with dry wit and dissed Sandy about his age and other peculiarities. Funnily enough Sandy seemed to really enjoy it.

So many people think this guy is an ass and refuse to shop there (again read the yelp reviews). But I am endlessly entertained by the whole scene and m, by the way, the guy has some serious record collection and some rare records to buy!

Just wondering for those that are familiar, what do you think of the record collector?

Canadian likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Got many essential titles there. Got my McIntosh 240 from him, best deal I ever got.

broshfab4 likes this.
  3. merlperl

Glad you're a fan Steve!! I love it there but sadly, my opinion is in the minority. At least if you believe the yelp reviews!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I used to take (for company business) $2,000.00 in 20's, go in, flash the wad, get a giant vinyl pile and then deal with it all at once. Got a good price. Worked fine.

5. merlperl

His prices seem fair even though they are seemingly off the top of his head

6. Went in one time in the late 1990's. Owner was an absolute jerk to me and I never came back. He lost a lot of potential business but I was happy to give it to places like Freakbeat, Rockaway, Record Surplus and Amoeba (amongst others).

By the way, love the Yelp reviews on this place.

7. merlperl

They are quite entertaining! And I understand why someone would not want to shop there. But in life I have learned to look deep when meeting people and a lot of people that initially rubbed me the wrong way have soon endeared themselves to me

8. jvmjr

jvmjr Forum Resident

@merlperl I completely agree, this place is great. I recently went twice on my short trip to LA and would highly recommend a visit to anyone in the area -- I just wished I lived closer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.