Husker Du catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's horribly, horribly recorded, and there's no excuse for that. As I've noted before, it sounds like it was recorded on a cheap cassette recorder that was placed at the bottom of a garbage can in the men's room of the Entry.

2. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Probably mentioned back there somewheres, but Mould’s first solo album ‘Workbook’ (and the 25 year reissue)...always loved this record. Very accessible.

Gregory Earl likes this.
  3. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

It probably was. And it's awesome :laugh:

Seriously though, Land Speed Record is one you listen to for the performance. They really do sound like they're about to take off.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

They have a great one from London in '85 (in between New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig, where they do play songs from the latter) - not just audio, but a professionally videotaped recording.

Would be incredible to get a Blu-Ray release - even if it's in SD, it would benefit from having uncompressed video as well as high resolution audio. (Video seems a bit short at under an hour, so there may very well be unreleased performances of more songs.)

redsock and Willowman like this.
  5. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

Yup - Everything Falls Apart is fantastic (I love their "Sunshine Superman"), and it actually sounds great. Of course it's the one that's almost impossible to find.

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I stumbled on this on vhs in 1986. Still have it. I spoke with Mould after a show and mentioned it and he said "You're lucky to have that. It wasn't supposed to come out." It was the first time I saw what they looked like and I thought they were the ugliest band I had ever seen.

Put me down as a lover of Land Speed Record. I've read Mould says he has the second set from that night. Maybe that will be on whatever it going to come out.

bleachershane likes this.
  7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Ideally, what I'd like to see is double CDs for each album with a remaster of the original album mix (with bonus tracks of vintage mixed outtakes/B-sides) on one disc and the original album (along with outtakes/B-sides) fully remixed from the multitracks, so that I have a choice between listening to them nostalgically, as I remember them, or instead listening to them not sounding like complete crap - unless god forbid everything was actually RECORDED to the multitrack like that!

A couple new live albums would be nice as well. I liked that one from the early 90s on Warner Brothers. IIRC the tracks were all taken from 2-track soundboard cassettes, but despite that they sound far better/more natural than the weird ultra trebly sonic decisions that were made on the studio albums.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd imagine (in theory anyway) that settling with SST would be the easy part. I doubt they'd have too hard a time convincing a judge to award to the band the ownership of their masters in lieu of the past several decades of unpaid/underpaid royalties.

The problem seems to be (or was - I read this a long time ago) how the band members would then split the ownership of their recovered masters.

Grant said in an interview (from the late 90s IIRC) that Mould was the holdout in them trying to get everything properly resolved with SST and getting their back catalogue in order. Grant said Mould offered Hart and Norton an insultingly low one time payment to sell him all rights/ownership of the Husker Du catalog (bar their songwriter royalties). Then Mould would get the albums reissued exactly as he wished by the label of his choosing and receive 100% of all future earnings. Hart said that he expected that that would mean they'd probably end up getting presented as being "The early works of the 'Great Bob Mould' - along with a couple other guys/his backing band".

That was Hart's take on the situation from almost two decades ago anyway.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To me the recording quality is too big an obstacle for me to enjoy the performance. If this was the only Hüsker Dü live performance available from this era then maybe I'd be more willing to overlook the sh#t sound. But it's not... there's better stuff "out there" where you can actually hear the band.

moj likes this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You mean The Living End? Pretty sure they futzed with the sound, that's not how I remember them sounding live, and as it's taken from different concerts the flow of a Huskers show is missing. It's okay, but there is better stuff out there. Go to you tube and watch the Love Hall show from 1983, or try to find the Maxwell's show from 1984, both pretty much destroy The Living End as a live document.

Clarkophile and czeskleba like this.
  11. MetallicSquink

MetallicSquink Forum Resident

I stopped by Numero Group's annual Record Store Day pop-up here in Chicago and asked for information on the label's Hüsker Dü plans... They're readying a four-LP set spanning 1979 to 1983, including all the material officially released during that period as well as "tons of unreleased stuff." Tentative release date: September 2017. I did not press for information on whether subsequent releases are planned, although this tweet from last September certainly suggests the holy trinity of Zen Arcade, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig is in play.

12. ralphb

That would be the Reflex era. The Everything Falls Apart and Metal Circus eps are great, but the real meat doesn't come up until they go to SST. Guess Numero wants to do it chronologically.

bleachershane likes this.
  13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

That's what I take from this, that the early/Reflex era is what is coming first. I'm up for that if that gives them more time to sort of the SST material, as, as you said, that's where the real gems are. But I'm willing to see what they can put out for the 1979-1983 years!

ralphb likes this.
  14. Preordered. Even though there's no actual way to do this yet. Preordered. :faint:

giantleech, jmczaja, Oliver and 9 others like this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I hope there's going to be CDs.

16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

As a Numero subscriber, I actully HAVE preordered this, which makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. And loud and fuzzy outside.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Either that, or there's still obstacles to reissuing the SST-era stuff that need to be overcome.

Clarkophile and ralphb like this.
  18. ralphb

Unfortunately I think you're right. The Reflex stuff belongs to them so the only thing that had to be straightened out there was inter band acrimony. Greg Ginn is another thing entirely.

czeskleba and Exit Flagger like this.
  19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really? Any deets you can provide or at least cost?

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Nope, but as a subscriber I get every Numero release unless I specifically opt out of it. You're basically preordering everything they release.

21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I know nothing about this Numero label, but with subscription service, I assume they do limited releases?? If so, I might need to sign up for this.

Hopefully they do a CD release as well.

22. I doubt it, if the band members are truly working as a team - SST has caved pretty quickly when other bands have pressed to reclaim their masters, so if this is the case I don't know what would be different here. Unless Greg Ginn emerged from his pot haze for a moment, checked his finances, and thought "umm, I can't afford to lose these guys, this is the hill I'll die on."

23. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

This 100%. I went to see Saint Etienne a few years ago, and most of their music is dancey. Everyone was standing still with their arms folded, but when some of my favorite songs were played I went nuts dancing. After a couple songs a woman standing next to me said to me in words to the effect of "you must be drunk". It actually hurt my feelings. I appeared to be the only one enjoying the show!

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Do we know much about how quickly Ginn caved in other instances, or how much time/effort/money was required? Have any of the other bands in question talked publicly about the degree of effort it took to extricate their catalogs? I hope you're right though.

25. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.