What's that one holy grail record that's missing from your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Apr 23, 2017.

1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Either you just haven't found a copy yet or you're waiting to find an original/early pressing in great condition or you just can't afford it right now. You could name multiple records if you want.

Here are some holy grails that I've yet to add to my collection. Waiting for an original or early repress:
    Caetano Veloso - Transa (original and reissues are too expensive)
    Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda (too expensive)
    Dün - Eros (very rare and too expensive)
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (haven't found one in great condition that fits my budget)
    Fela Kuti - Opposite People (super rare)
    Area - Arbeit Macht Frei (originals are too expensive)
    Ground Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera Ver. 1.28 (never been released on vinyl)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    aravel, kt66brooklyn, Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Beatles Butcher Cover. I have a reprint, but haven't found a decent third state original that isn't being sold for an insane amount of cash.

Mr Hankey, CoryS, geo50000 and 12 others like this.
  3. acemachine26

Ah yes, that seems to be the holy grail for most Beatles collectors.

Brettlowden, daveidmarx and hellion like this.
  4. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

E.L.O - Secret Messages - The full double album remastered

also E.L.O - Drum Dreams, Matter Of Fact (both versions), Indian Queen (Full version), Heaven Only Knows (full alternative version), all remastered

Idle Race - Fully remastered expanded albums

probably a few more bits and pieces from Jeff Lynne's collection!

Jarleboy, ShardEnder and acemachine26 like this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'd love the full set of Bowie RCA CD's. But that's just pure greed and I cannot afford the prices they go for.

6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I haven't got any - not anymore. It took me a long time to get where I am now - content with what I have, appreciating my collection for what's in it, rather than agonizing over what's missing.

Dyland, Smiler, Sneaky Pete and 41 others like this.
  7. acemachine26

Wow, hardly ever hear that. I know people that've been collecting for decades and have 10,000+ records but still aren't fully satisfied with their collection.

Jim57, Brettlowden, CHALKERS and 3 others like this.
  8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Led Zeppelin II RL cut in at least M-/M- (or so) condition and the Led Zeppelin 45 rpm "road case" set from Classic Records, preferably in still brand new/unplayed/mint condition.

Those are my grails.

Tooth, nosliw, VinylCountdown and 8 others like this.
  9. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

Because it's not about the records anymore.

10. acemachine26

Yeah I agree, when you've been collecting for that long it becomes a habit that you can't stop. Love that Jackie McLean record by the way.

11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I was one of those people until one day it dawned upon me to ask myself a simple question: "Am I really going to let these couple of albums that I don't have spoil it for me and prevent me from fully enjoying the thousands I have." This thought sent me on my way to recovery, so to speak, and gradually the gaping holes in my collection grew smaller and eventually they vanished altogether.

12. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I've been wanting a genuine Love Buzz 7" for my Nirvana collection since around 1993. Not looking anywhere near a possibility. Lol.

p.s.- I'm actually surprised it hasn't been reissued for Record Store Day.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Source Radio Show The Ozzy Osbourne Concert 1981 with Randy Rhoads.
    I`m sure it`s out there.While not the most rare,I have never seen one for sale on the open market yet.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Bookends Mono

Ziggy71, garrincha, parman and 22 others like this.
  15. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Message - From Books and Dreams

Grootna likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed. I don't fret about it.

But, on the other hand, it's always nice to have those few "always got to look for these" items whenever you're in a record store.

MGM, Xabby, JDeanB and 3 others like this.
  17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

REM - Monster on cd. I keep thinking that one day I'll walk into a thrift shop or used record store and there it
    will be, just sitting there in the stacks.....

Oh to dream.

kwadguy, Man at C&A, iggyd and 68 others like this.
  18. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Pearl Jam - Live At Benaroya Hall

pinkrudy, davers, Bigrfish and 2 others like this.
  19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I prefer to devote my record shopping interest to what is there rather than what isn't, but I do look for an RL whenever I see Led Zeppelin II.

20. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

For me it's the CD of The Darkness - Permission to Land. If only the racks weren't now taken up with vinyl and unwanted copies of Various Artists compilations like 'Leaping With Mr Lee featuring Bunnie Lee's All Stars' with that crap looking cover; I might stand a chance.

[​IMG]

Carlos B and Dave S like this.
  21. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Meet the Residents, original '74 pressing.

mr.datsun, gss and acemachine26 like this.
  22. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

The ones that have eluded me for decades are any of the Dr. Demento's KMET radio shows from 1977-80. They are even hard to find on CD.

23. acemachine26

I've been searching for that record too.

24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The big Holy Grail for me for a while now, has been clean original Joni Mitchell LPs -- but only in ludicrously super pristine, OCD perfect condition, with ultra clean covers. And I do mean ridiculous. It has to be perfect, otherwise I reject it scornfully and send the store clerks away with a scowl. No one has been able to please me yet.

I'm talking like, records that got bought and played once or twice upon release, and then the girl moved away from her parents' house to go to college and left the records behind, or at some point they got mixed in with her awful jerk boyfriend's records and he NEVER played them, and now they've been sitting on a bottom shelf with the Judy Blume books in her parents' little girl bedroom, or stashed in the collection of some insensitive brutish ex-dude of hers, untouched by anyone since 1978. I have Blue, Court & Spark in that type of super condition, and so-so play copies for the rest. But I would love to find more of those. Hard to find Ladies of the Canyon or Song To A Seagull that haven't gone all yellow.

I could probably mention a bunch of other crazy things, like Randy Alvey and the Green Fuz original 7". I would love to have one of those, just to marvel at it and watch it spin around on the turntable while I listen. That song is so wild and wooly, I almost want to be skeptical and think it was fake -- it's so amazing that something that strange and wonderful could have actually happened. I want the various Howard Finster records but I never seem to see them where I live.

But mostly to me though, my grails aren't individual records anymore, but collections. I used to do very well, buying records from co-workers, neighbors, friends-of-friends, yard sales, and finding people through the grapevine that were looking get rid of their records. I did very well with that tactic for a number of years, but it seems to be drying up lately. Finding any person who has an un-picked stash of records, if I can get to them before they take them to the store, I'm interested. That's how I found so many of my "grail" type items.

25. acemachine26

bluemooze likes this.