Great Movie Posters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JozefK

Boris Grinsson (1907, Pskov, Russia – 1999) was an artist famous for drawing the designs for over 2000 French film posters.

Fleeing Russia after the Bolshevik take over, Grinsson's family settled in Estonia with Boris studying art in Tartu. Moving to Berlin to use his skills, he found work at the UFA Studio designing film posters. His drawing of an anti-Hitler election poster in 1932 led him to flee Germany to Paris after Hitler took power

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JozefK

Poster/trade ad for a film that was never made

[​IMG]

Portions of the script were reworked into The Mummy (1933); Orson Welles would later play the same character in Black Magic (1949).

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

There are just so many, where to even start...movie posters are to me the greatest melding of art and graphic design into stunning captivating visuals.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have some nice ones in the house--Chinatown, Mitchum's Farewell My Lovely, Dr. No, Apocalypse Now (the early one with just the river & choppers, no baldy), and the 1960's release of Fantasia with all the psych colors (the framer drooled over the last one). I had one for American Graffiti, but sold it cause there was no room and sold off my Dressed To Kill before I got married (I knew the wife wouldn't dig it). I still have The Last Waltz upstairs, no room to hang it if I got it farmed, but can't bring myself to sell it.

6. JozefK

Anselmo Ballester (1897-1974)

[​IMG]

Movie Poster of the Week: The Rita Hayworth posters of Anselmo Ballester on Notebook »

When I asked Dave Kehr, author of the Museum of Modern Art’s invaluable 2003 book Italian Film Posters and an avid collector himself, about Ballester I knew I was onto a good thing when he called him “for my money, the greatest movie poster artist of all time.”​

[​IMG]

Under contract to Columbia, the studio for whom Rita Hayworth was the biggest star in the 1940s, Ballester got to design many of Hayworth’s posters. As Kehr writes, “Ballester’s Hayworth is an icon of joy and sensuality—head thrown back, red hair streaming, captured in a swirl of motion.” That is particularly true of the poster for Affair in Trinidad (1952), in which a vibrant, devil-may-care Hayworth, bursting out of the poster’s frame, laughs in the face of Glenn Ford’s monochrome brutality.​

[​IMG]

All The King's Men:

[​IMG]

Death Of A Salesman:

[​IMG]

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Some great posters here.

FallenLeaves, Karnak and longdist01 like this.
  8. JozefK

Pre-production promotional poster for Frankenstein (1930):

[​IMG]

9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Waiting anxiously in line at the movies as a kid, this poster was a promise of the adventure ahead.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Sometime in 1997 My girlfriend asked the manager of an art deco second run theater for posters for her 'art class' (it sounded reasonable). The guy was reluctant but then realized.. what was he going to do with them? Those movies weren't coming back. Some really good ones: Mazurkey's "Blume in love" and "Next Stop Greenwich Village", "Chinatown" "Farewell my Lovely" and my favorite "Hearts of the West"

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

2 of those are on my walls. Great choices

13. JozefK

14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

18. Daniel Plainview

19. Daniel Plainview

20. Daniel Plainview

21. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Oh boy. There are indeed many.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

23. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Ernesto Garcia Cabral.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Johnny Rocker

Oh bugger, I should have read the actual posters before putting them up, they make me look bad, I'm not though! I got to slow down and read what I post, its funny how things you post seem to last for eternity. oops!!!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Johnny Rocker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.