Brian Wilson - The 2017 Pet Sounds Tour thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaccaBeatles, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Wheelchair from the bus to the piano stool back in the wheelchair back to the bus- the man never needs to even stand up

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Tomorrow night is the night. I feel like I bought this ticket an eternity ago. I hope Matt is back with the group. I hope Brian is in a good mood. I hope he doesn't talk his way through "Pet Sounds" (I know he will). Is there a new program or is it the same one from last year? I need something to have signed in case I run into Blondie in the bathroom or something. I ran into David Marks in the bathroom once...

But I digress. I miss the days of getting backstage without having to pay $500 for a special package. But I've had plenty of opportunities to 'meet' Brian over the years so I have no complaints. Will this be the last time? I always think it is but I always end up going back for more. Am I even that entertained by these concerts any more or do I go out of some misguided sense of obligation? I'm not sure anymore. Not attending a local Wilson/Jeff Beck show a few years ago was a real act of defiance for me, but I sincerely wasn't interested. I shouldn't say that out loud. They'll take my badge.

It was great seeing Blondie last year, though. That was something new and exciting. I wish they gave him more songs to sing or figured out a way to let him stay on stage for the whole show. They could perform "Sail Away" from Brian's latest solo record, that would give Blondie, Al and Brian a song to sing together. But I guess they are no longer interested in promoting that album. I don't blame them. I kid...it had some good songs, but...ugh. I hope that isn't his final artistic statement. Check the calendar - we're due for a real Wilson statement in 2018. I want another That Lucky Old Sun! That's the real deal, not this pandering to the mainstream crap.

I look forward to "Sail on Sailor" and seeing Brian wave to the crowd two minutes before the song ends and dashing off the stage for intermission. Good old Brian. What a long strange trip it has been.

Lonesurf, MRamble and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  3. Why isn't Scott around?

4. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

He's doing time.

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

He's getting getting a first hand lesson in why unwanted sexual advances are not something a decent human being engages in.

6. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Matt was sick and Casey McDonough of nrbq filled in ably!

rstamberg likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Brian's very apparent walking issues and the fact his weight has again gone into the stratosphere have me worried about his physical health.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I saw him July 22, 2000...the Pet Sounds Symphonic tour...great band, and a well conducted orchestra (Larry Baird). I'm lucky to have a great audience recording of it, thought it's missing the first 4 minutes of the pre-concert orchestral suite and is an mp3 source from way back when...maybe someday I'll find the complete set. It was a great show, and Brian was in a great mood. I'm surprised Brian and his band never tackled "Rio Grande" onstage.

Allen Michael likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Matt Jardine was back tonight. Phew!

MRamble, Misterroper and RonBaker like this.
  10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This might need its own thread, but The Beach Boys' upcoming European tour is being billed as the 'Wild Honey' tour, with a photo of the album cover displayed. Wonder if they'll be performing that in full?

There's also a conversation between Mike and your favourite beach Boys author and mine Andrew G Doe lined up in London. They're taking questions on various BB message boards for it.

To be fair, they could do it about eight times over in their current marathon sets.

11. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

How was the show?

12. Daniel Plainview

I wasn't at that show, I went to tonight's show.

It was quite good, as expected. Enthusiastic crowd. Some young city people mixed in. I had a great seat down front. Al was reliable, Blondie was predictably unpredictable, Matt Jardine stole the show with "Don't Worry Baby" (seriously...some of them ladies in the audience were tingling in long dormant territories). Brian was there. I kid. He was in an okay mood, but this new Shatner-esque singing style he uses is just murdering some of the songs. I love him, though, so he can do whatever he wants. He did sing good when he wanted to. "That's Not Me", in particular, he made effort to extend the notes. This was my first time hearing the band do "Let Him Run Wild" (Matt on lead) and it was very good. And "Feel Flows" (Blondie on lead) was another show highlight. I was 'this close' to nabbing a setlist but I did get to shake Al Jardine's hand, which was a nice moment for me. It was pandemonium in the aisles during the encores with the young people stampeding down to the front from their cheap seats. Some gray hairs got into the mele as well and it was a multi-generation dance party down in front. An eternity in the parking garage trying to escape was a reminder as to why I always leave before the final song ends. But not tonight. I stay until they start sweeping up the stage.

Joti Cover, Pierino, Revoxy and 4 others like this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think he's done...if he comes out with one more album it's a total farce done by his handlers.

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hold on there. Not so fast.
    If there is one thing predictable about Brian Wilson, it's his unpredictability. :D

I've lost count of the times he has surprised me. He can still catch a wave now and then. :p

Tord, Joti Cover, rstamberg and 2 others like this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Just like last year I wished again that they just let Matt sing the "Don't Talk" in it's entirity. I love the song, and Matt's parts are great, but then Brian interjects on the lower notes and sorta derails it. He now sings in a short, staccatto manner and changes the words. "Don't talk. Put THAT head on my shoulder. Come close. Close your eyes. Be still." Musically it was outstanding, of course. Nice bass walking from Bob Lizik, the consumate professional.

At one point during "That's Not Me" Brian sang, "My folks when I wrote and told them what I was up to said 'that's not YOU'". I guess that makes more sense, story-wise.

Brian throws in lots of "you knows" whenever he can. He completely dismantled "Love and Mercy" to where the couplets didn't even rhyme anymore. Is he so relaxed that he feels he can be creative during the show? Dylan and Lou Reed do it, why not Brian?

There were some nice things. At the end of the first verse (sung by Al) of "I Know There's An Answer", on the last word, "offensiiiiive" Brian very briefly joins Al and they harmonize together on the word and for that 2 seconds it's the magic in action. They nail it and it's The Beach Boys sound. You could tell by the expression on Al's face that this was something they'd worked out previously and he was happy with the results.

There was some talk upthread that the harmony blend wasn't as good as when Darian, Jeff, Scott and Taylor were in the group but I didn't feel this group came up short in any way. The harmony work at the end of "You Still Believe In Me" were damn near perfect and got a huge rise out of the crowd.

Some may prefer Jeff Foskett to Matt Jardine but I am not among them. All those years hearing Jeff sing "Don't Worry Baby" and I never heard a place get as ecstatic as they did last night when Matt sang it. When Matt came down front for his showcase singing "Don't Worry Baby" and "Let Him Run Wild" he looked over at Brian, who gave him a quick warm, encouraging smile and nod, like a proud uncle.

"Feel Flows" kicked all sorts of ass. As happy as I was to hear "Funky Pretty" last year I think this was an even more successful rendition. It's was really excellent, and Blondie was terrific singing it.

When it came time for "Sail on Sailor" Blondie was rambling a little about how he liked the song and never got tired of singing it, though it came out something like "I never get pissed off or anything..." Jardine quickly intervened and explained that it was from an album called "Holland". Blondie thanks Alan and laughed a maniacal laugh. It was funny. You gotta keep it clean with Al Jardine.

I said I'd never wash my hand again after Al shook it but I'm also a germ-o-phobe so I have to give it up.

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

It has taken a long time but I'm getting excited now for my first Brian Wilson concert.

Can someone post whether he is usually starting right at 8 p.m.? I'm guessing it is about a 2 hour show once he starts. Thank you.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Joti Cover and Rick Bartlett like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

be there on time, no warm up act as i experienced, you don't really wanna miss 'our prayer'

Joti Cover and tonyc like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

it's not a bad for a 74 turning 75 year old Brian. The first part and the encore seems to be where he shines the most performing right now.
    The Pet Sounds segment seems 'tired' like most have said. Some parts are just 'YEAHHH!'.
    ........and depending on the day too for Bri...... cut the guy some slack, and enjoy the show!

19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Brian & Co. started on time @ The Lincoln Theater last week....there was an intermssion after the first set.
    You'll be knocked out if its half as good as the show my wife and saw. I shudder to think that I may have
    missed this one. Have fun!

tonyc likes this.
  20. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

When I saw him, Blondie Chaplin started the show with "River Deep Mountain High"

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I think it's been a long while since he opened with "My Prayer." Hadn't at last two shows I was personally at and haven't seen a setlist with it this tour. (But haven't seen every setlist either.)

22. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Agree. It's almost like Landy is back in the picture.

Brian is providing work for these musicians and staff, but is it really healthy for the guy who doesn't seem all that interested in being there?

just my observation.

23. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

The first set the other night opened with a different piece than Our Prayer but I don't want to spoil anything so that's all I'll say.

24. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

My friends went to the "April 22, 2017 - Northfield, OH - Hard Rock Live" performance and posted a couple of clips on their Facebook page. To paraphrase what one of my friends said - the audience was "respectful" but Brian really needs to retire. I tried looking the post up in FB but the video must have been removed, only the comment remains.

I got to see Brian back when the recreated Smile came out. He was surrounded by younger musicians, no other Beach Boys present. They performed Pet Sounds in its entirety then too. This was at Cain Park in Cleveland Heights. That is a unique venue. Where else can you go to a concert located between two suburban residential homes? It's literally like having a concert in your back yard. Brian was in much better shape then.

abescan likes this.
  25. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I was at the show in Knoxville, TN Saturday night. I hadn't seen Brian since the 2004 SMiLE tour, so naturally, I was pretty pumped. The first set was fantastic. Brian seemed engaged and was taking a big part in the backing vocals when not taking the lead vocal role. The band was great as always. Al never ceases to amaze me. He still sounds amazing. Matt Jardine did a fantastic job handling the falsetto parts. Blondie was fun to watch and did a great job vocally, but his lead guitar breaks, other than the one on Feel Flows which was good, weren't great. Maybe I'm being overly critical being a guitarist myself, but he was sloppy and way loud in the mix. Regardless, I'm glad he was there. No "Love You" songs, unfortunately. We did get killer versions of Wake the World and Let Him Run Wild.

As many have noted, Brian took many liberties with the lead vocal melodies in the "Pet Sounds" set, which was frustrating. It's not that he can't do it as the first set plainly showed. I just think he must be over touring this album after so long and is spicing things up for himself. Either that or he's just going through the motions with it. Either way, it's distracting and take something away from the performance. I understand changing things up, but this is a bit much from the perspective of a big fan. The band was fantastic musically and vocally in this set. Totally made up for Brian's shortcomings in this section. Brian and Al did the same harmony part that @The Zodiac mentioned above on "That's Not Me" and it was incredible. The magic of those two together is still there when they try. It was fantastic.

Last set was the big hits you'd expect performed extremely well. Brian was in very good form again.

Great show overall. Happy early birthday to me!!

Tord, RonBaker, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.