Heat (1995) - Director's Definitive Edition Blu-ray coming May 9th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I just noticed there is a "Director's Definitive Edition" Blu-ray of Michael Mann's Heat scheduled for release on May 9th:

Amazon.com: Heat [Blu-ray]: Movies & TV

This is one of my favourite movies of the 90's.... anyone know if this is a new/alternate cut of the film? I know there were a couple of minor bits of dialogue removed from the previous Blu-ray release, so I'm curious if the "Director's Definitive Edition" label might mean that additional changes have been made. (I hope not!)

rd1 likes this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

This Blu-ray has been available since Feb 6th, from the UK & region-free!

Myke likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I looked at my press release, and it makes no mention of a new/alternate cut.

It also lists the film at 170 minutes, same as the old BD.

Seems exceedingly unlikely they'd produce a new cut of the film and not mention it in the press release!

Only differences listed in press release:

• NEW Academy Panel reuniting Mann, Pacino and De Niro and moderated by Christopher Nolan
    • NEW Toronto International Film Festival Q&A with Mann

Rocker likes this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

How is it different? Extra scenes?

5. Myke likes this.
  6. masswriter

"director's "definitive" edition . . . like the rest of the releases were just a warm-up. Marketing bait.

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched that gun fight many many times. Not so much the rest of the movie.

pdenny and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  8. masswriter

that whole sub-plot of DeNiro and his boring love interest sort of drags the film down for me.

ssmith3046, g.z. and daglesj like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love the shootout and the Pacino/DeNiro scene.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The only difference - I believe - between the 1995 theatrical version and the recent Blu ray versions (both the initial 2009 and new 4k releases) is the excising of two lines of dialogue; one in the scene where Diane Venora talks to Al Pacino in the restaurant after everyone else has gone home, and another in the scene where Hank Azaria's character is picked up in Las Vegas by the LAPD; about a minute of screen time in all... other than that, it's exactly the same film.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is the one I grabbed back in Feb. on pre order. Looks / sounds great !

Heavy Music likes this.
  12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

If you are setting up a home theatre you need this movie. The holdup at the front of the movie and the shootout scene (based on a real incident) has been a surround demo for me for as long as I have had a home theatre and the video first came out. It is also one of the most visually beautiful films Mann has ever done - and that is saying something as he is very good at that part of directing. His cinematographer for this film, Dante Spinotti, is brilliant with his use of colour and composition. In the proper aspect ratio you can see how tightly and structured he is composing each establishing scene.
    I'm actually disappointed at the two scenes cut which I noticed when on my current BluRay. It is not close to a perfect movie story wise but I always liked those two snippets of dialogue. I can live with all the relationship scenes except the coffee scene between Pacino and DeNiro. I like DeNiro very much for his early work but I often wonder if this is the moment he just gave up acting. This movie was a money job for him after all.
    A friend of mine made what he felt was the perfect cut of the movie by taking out any of the one on one relationship scenes. I think he cut the movie to around 40 minutes.
    If you have a good setup you are in for a treat. I'm going to try out my new 55" Samsung UHD and then later my new downstairs projector set up. At the same time you can test the wiring polarity, surround speaker positioning and subwoofer positioning of your system with the holdup scene.
    I will probably get this new version at some point just because I can hardly wait to see the extra features.

Dan C and mdm08033 like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There's a one night (May 2nd) theatrical run on "Heat" in select cities.

Michael Mann’s 'Heat' Heads Back to Theaters for One Night Only on May 2 | High-Def Digest

Austin Drafthouse Village; Austin, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park; Houston, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet; Kansas City, MO – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Littleton; Littleton, CO – 6:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Loudoun; Ashburn, VA – 8:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Lubbock; Lubbock, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Laredo; Laredo, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Marketplace; New Braunfels, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Omaha; Omaha, NE – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Richardson; Richardson, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes; San Antonio, TX – 7:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Winchester; Winchester, VA – 8:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse El Paso; El Paso, TX – 6:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Chandler; Chandler, AZ – 5:30pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Corpus Christi; Corpus Christi, TX – 7:30pm
    Tampa Theater; Tampa, FL – 8:30pm
    Normal Theaters; Normal, IL – 7:30pm
    Cinema Detroit; Detroit, MI – 8:30pm
    Brattle Theater; Boston, MA – 8:30pm
    Michigan Theater; Ann Arbor, MI – 8:30pm

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Must have been huge in Texas :shrug:Nothing in Los Angeles? Weird.

15. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Weird. I love the actors in this, but never watched it.

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

You really should check it out.... it's one of the best movies of the 90's.

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It is a great and often thrilling movie (or 'film' if you prefer) cinematically, thespianlly, etc. But the ending is stupid. I noted that's a problem with some of Mann's films (or 'movies') - they often dissipate or seem to run out of creative juice for the conclusion.

carrick doone and ohnothimagen like this.
  18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

On the recommendation of a friend I just watched Thief a few weeks back- one of Mann's early films starring James Caan. In a lot of ways it seems like a prototype for Heat, but its ending is exactly as you say, it just sort of fizzles out. Not a bad film, I suppose, though Caan's character wasn't the most likeable protagonist I've seen.

As for the ending of Heat, personally I would have preferred it if
    De Niro and Pacino shot one another, and they both died, that would have seemed more poignant IMO

19. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

That's a great point about Mann's films. I found the ending of Heat and other films like Thief and Collateral very dull. He seems to want to do a homage to that 70s anti hero flat ending but it comes across he just seems tired of the film. Maybe he needs a new editor.
    I find he knows how to establish scenes and he can stitch together plot but he doesn't know what to do with character. If the actors don't bring it (Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise in Collateral) then he doesn't know what to do. Woody Allan he ain't.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't have any problem with the ending of "Heat". Never found it the least bit dull. I do find I'm always wrapped up in Deniro's character and frustrated by his tragic inability to let things go and get away, but that doesn't make the ending dull in the least.

NightGoatToCairo and Jerry Horne like this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Amy Brenneman does a good job in her role, and has good chemistry with De Niro, as Diane Venora does a good job playing off Pacino. I'm much more critical of Ashley Judd. Is it just me or does she really stink? I mean, she phones in her whole performance and is barely hiding laughter in some of the more dramatic sequences. WTF?

At the time, this was a very exciting intersection of De Niro and Pacino--their first film where they actually appear on screen at the same time, unlike Godfather II where obviously they couldn't have a scene together. Mann paid off the anticipation by having them actually face off in cafe, talking over a cup of coffee. It was very understated, but hugely entertaining just like the action sequences.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Ironically, 'Public Enemies' doesn't work very well, imo, but has an interesting ending. I keep expecting Mann to make a totally great film and he keeps missing in ways that are so obvious. Granted, it's diffcult to top the shoot out halfway through 'Heat'. But a sequence that is literally difficult to watch with the glaring lights, and not very exciting, seems boneheaded in extremis.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Heads up for anyone that bought this Blu-ray and has an Apple TV 4K: This movie is now available in 4K via iTunes! You can either buy it directly from iTunes in 4K, or if you redeem the Digital Copy code that comes with the Blu-ray into iTunes, you'll own the 4K version.

I just watched a few minutes in 4K and it looks wonderful. Beautiful grain and detail all around.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Does the streaming 4K version include HDR?

Even if so, then the blu-ray hard disc will look better than streaming, right?

Wonder if a proper 4K UHD/HDR release will arrive in 2018!?

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No HDR in iTunes for this title, as of now.

Nope, the 4K stream looks better than my BD disc, I just checked. It's not night and day, but there is definitely more detail in the iTunes stream.

Dan C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.