Steely Dan - Sound Quality gets better through the years? Right?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by enfield, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enfield

enfield Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just been listening back to all my Steely Dan CD's

What struck me is how the sound quality had gradually progressed through their albums..(Not talking about quality of music just recording quality)

Here are my marks album for album.All original un-remastered,(apart from Katy Lied which is the 1991 MCAD-31194 which i believe was Nichols first correct mastering,after the original release wrongly used the vinyl master)

Out of Ten:

Can't Buy A Trill 6
    Countdown To Ecstasy 5.5
    Pretzel Logic 6
    Katy Lied 7
    The Royal Scam 7
    Aja 8.5
    Gaucho 8.5
    Two Against Nature 9.5
    Everything Must Go 9.5

(Ps..I know the last two albums do not quite have the DR of some the earlier releases as they were recorded with high DB levels.But they still sound superb.)

2. enfield

Re: Katy Lied - Meant first proper master by Nichols.I know Steve Hoffman did earlier masters.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wish everyone was as strict about sound quality like Steely Dan.

Even live they do the best they can to make good sound.

Fullbug and George P like this.
  4. They Call Me M

They Call Me M Wall History Nerd

I haven't heard everything from Everything Must Go, but Two Against Nature is an outstanding sounding album -- even the original pressings.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Really needs a vinyl release, hopefully this is on someone's radar to make happen this year.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Aja - Nightfly is the sweet spot where the actual peerless, untouchable music was matched by the high quality of the sound.

For me, Royal Scam is the only album that doesn't rate 9/10 or higher for musical quality, but it sounds excellent.

+1

Would love a reissue of Everything Must Go, just to avoid spending £70 or more on a copy.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. enfield

The Nightfly on CD sounds a bit thin to me.Sounds like the mastering has a bit too much top end and not enough bass.Otherwise it would have been lovely.I've heard the vinyl is a bit better in that respect.As you say the quality of the music is superb on that album.

Although Kamakiriad doesn't quite hit the heights of its predecessor,the sound quality is better (at least on CD).You have to ramp up the volume a bit with that album as the DB levels are low (but with high DR).

somnar likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

If every CD I owned sounded as good as my early Japan for USA Aja, I would be a very happy man. From there, I wouldn't say it got better. I would say that Gaucho is cleaner, leaner. The two albums that followed are out of the running, due to the compression used.

enfield likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I would agree. :righton:

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Isn't Aja the album audiophiles used to test their rigs with?

Fullbug and George P like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

That sounds correct.

13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Can't beat the AB Aja or the RL Greatest Hits and Gaucho for sound quality.

Some of the other albums dont have the best pressings... I know Countdown has some issues regardless of matrix.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That's funny, The Royal Scam is tied with Katy Lied for my favorite Steely Dan albums.

RoyalScam, Instant Dharma and BGLeduc like this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The Aja AB 1006 is one of the best sounding vinyl records in existence.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

In the Citizen box set, the booklet contains a review for a later album, which read "sounds like it was recorded in a hospital intensive care unit."

Taxman and Keith V like this.
  17. Andrew1967

Andrew1967 Forum Resident

PretzelLogic likes this.
  18. Andrew1967

Andrew1967 Forum Resident

The vinyl copies of 'Nightfly' with RL in the deadwax solve some of the problems you are hearing on the cd. Other US masterings I have heard do not. The MFSL pressing doesn't do much for me. Neither does the first Japanese pressing. The both have a more muscular sound, but sound innappropriately eq'd.

enfield likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

There was a time I felt Katy was flawless. Now I just think its pretty fargin good.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The early stuff sounds better on the original albums than the RL greatest hits to me.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think all SD's albums were impeccably recorded with the best available gear. The earlier albums had the raw sound of a working band that was accustomed to performing together live. Starting with Katy lied, they focused exclusively on the studio and that let Becker/Fagen take the quality up another notch.

The Nightfly is a very early digital recording, which is why it takes a step back in sound quality.

enfield likes this.
  22. enfield

They were not compressed as such.Just recorded at higher DB levels (which would naturally lower the dynamic range levels). If a quieter mastering was done the dynamic range levels would be the same if not more than the previous two albums.Sometimes dynamic range levels do not tell the full story.They must be looked at in combination with ReplayGain levels to get the true picture.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It did have a vinyl release in UK but it was quickly withdrawn. Not approved by Becker and Fagen plus quality issues. Based on the vinyl this would be at the bottom for sound quality and not at the top as Enfield Suggests. Everything Must Go sounds far better but does not beat most of the 70s output.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Fez lets the side down a bit, but Haitian Divorce is probably my favourite Dan song of all time.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, they were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.