Mountain Monsters: Real, embellished, or fake?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinyl Socks, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver Thread Starter

I don't mean any ill-will towards the cast and crew of "Mountain Monsters" ("MM" from this point forward ;) ), but I'm curious about a few things:

1.) Is it fake?
    2.) Is it real?
    3.) Is it embellished, but portrays actual investigations?
    4.) Is the 'Rogue Team' - currently thwarting their efforts - a gov't team of infiltrators?
    5.) All opinions and speculation welcome. I searched for a similar thread and found nothing.
    6.) Also, I have no doubt these guys know their way around the woods. But their excellent ability to capture strange things on-camera is pretty mind-boggling. But it's good to discuss this, as this show is purported to be 100% genuine.

I will say this: I am a fan of the show and laugh a lot during each episode. But trying to find information online leads nowhere.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I stopped watching this show this season. It is so fake. Every single episode they are told of a mythical beast by a witness. Every single episode they view a blurry photo on an old cell phone. Every single episode they build a trap. Every single episode they all see a mythical beast with their own eyes. What's that? Did you see that? What WAS that? Every single episode they "almost" catch a mythical beast. I soak up these kind of shows. But even I quit this one. Even knowing how fake it is, if it weren't so formulaic, I might still watch. But the rogue team? And the fake fight at the campfire?

I watch an embarrassing amount of crap tv. Even I had to bail on this show.

Vidiot, enfield, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its like a carrot on a stick. Just try to catch that carrot!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  4. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The more concerning thing is why would anyone think it might be true in the first place.

Chris DeVoe, Manimal, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

That's my point. They present it as truth, so I feel it's important to dispel any notions that it's real...if it isn't.
    There is a brief disclaimer in the closing credits saying that no animals were hunted or trapped during the show...and that's exactly what they are doing in nearly every episode.
    I'm not saying I believe this show, but there isn't any concrete information about this show anywhere to be found - other than from watching it...which can be deliriously funny.

6. Vinyl Socks

I am hoping this thread does not become a bashing place against those who are interested in Sasquatch or related 'legends'.
    That's what got me to watch the show in the first place.
    "Finding Bigfoot" is another show that seems like it could be genuine, because they never get any kind of evidence (like "MM", but without guns and traps). And, whether you believe in Sasquatch or not, you have to admit that there isn't much evidence except blurry pictures and footage (see my avatar).

7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I wish they would get back to real science and history instead of this woo woo fake reality nonsense. I was just re-watching Connections 2. We need shows like that.

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Not sure what this show is, but if it's "reality TV", it's fake.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  9. Vinyl Socks

Cool. Looks good.

10. Chris from Chicago

I, too, watch Finding Bigfoot. I think it's real. Because they don't actually find Bigfoot. And while a few of them think everything they hear is a squatch, field biologist Rene is always there to say, no...sorry, that wasn't proof of anything. If that show is guilty of anything it would be it's vastly misnamed title.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  11. Vinyl Socks

Looking For Bigfoot would be a more appropriate title :laugh:

12. Vinyl Socks

I believe that these gentlemen were buddies before the show began. That's not tough to believe. I also believe that AIMS is something they were actively doing before they got their own show.
    It's a tough call.
    I have a feeling these guys aren't actors they plucked out of acting school and decided to make monster hunters. Trapper? No way. He seems like the real deal - heck, they all do - but...if the show is scripted, then they actually have some acting skills.

The more I think about this show...the more I want to head into the Dark Forest...alone...with my cell phone...:eek:
    None of us actually know...but it's fun to speculate.

13. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I watch MM every season, and am avidly watching this one. The show is fake as can be, but I find it entertaining. Now I'm in too deep to stop. The pure enthusiasm with which they build traps, and undertake these searches or hunts is fun to watch. What a set of characters, Wild Bill takes the cake. Hell, they all do. I enjoy it but take it with something less than a grain of salt.

14. Vinyl Socks

I think we're on the same page here. I laugh like crazy when I am watching this show...knowing it's fake...but loving every minute.

15. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I remember the first time I saw it MM. It was 3 years ago, my brother & niece came in from out of state to visit us one weekend. We sat around one afternoon flipping through the tube when we came across MM. We both looked at each other like "what they heck is this?" They were after the Wampus Beast on this particular episode & me & my brother just laughed our butts off. I've watched it ever since.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I didn't even know this was a thing.

I've never seen it so I can't comment on its (in)validity, but I can relate to the "its so fake, yet entertaining" aspect of watching. I watch Ghost Adventures which is laughably fake, but I still find it oddly entertaining. Anything they encounter now is an evil entity, they don't even chase ghosts anymore, they're all demons. And the voodoo science they use is hilarious. For instance they use a "modified" Xbox Kinect camera (I kid you not) and they always end up with these little stick figure guys standing next to them or even on their shoulders. Its so ridiculously bad its funny.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

I watch GA. I watch most ghost shows. I've grown I deep dislike for Zac. Not sure why. Yet I keep watching

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  18. Thievius

Yep, Zak is a douche nozzle and complete ham. "I can sense entities all around me." Shut the hell up, Zak. :laugh:

19. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I also watch this show because, as others have stated, it's entertaining. Embellished? Probably. I just like how they may be in an intense, dangerous situation and will repeat what they just said and did during the confessional scenes interspersed with the intense action, interrupting the flow of the sequence. :confused: I just wonder how it is that in some shots the cameraman can be far away while the monster they're looking for is close by. Again, :confused:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  20. Thievius

Just watched a little of the first show of the newest season. This make Ghost Adventures look like an Emmy award winning show. An unwatchable mess. Jeebus. Doesn't look remotely real. They're captured by some mysterious rogue group :rolleyes: with guns and those cameras just keep on rolling. Come on now.

Manimal, chilinvilin, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  21. Vinyl Socks

And they are so sure they saw a little girl standing in the dark next to Jeff as he was crouched-down in front of a tree...but never call child protective services? "It's a ghost, we won't call and bother them"...

22. Vinyl Socks

Tonight, we find out all about the Black Wolf!

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've worked on a half-dozen different reality shows. Many of them start with a basic premise that's true, but they veer as hard as they can towards entertainment whenever possible. So there could be a shred of truth, just very, very heavily "augmented." I have been in situations where they interview people as part of a reality show, and while they don't tell the people what to say, they will stop the camera and say, "hey, that was great! Now, can you say the same thing you just said only do it in 10 seconds? And have more energy?" So there's a lot of preparation, plus tons and tons of editing tricks.

I haven't seen this one, but I did once work on a UFO show for a few weeks where they'd get about 10 seconds of "real" UFO footage, then pad the other 40+ minutes of the show with speculation, artwork, recreations, simulated footage, interviews with known crazy people, and an announcer that makes a lot of leading statements. The producers on these shows have absolutely no illusions: they know they're just making crappy fake-reality shows, but as they've told me on more than one occasion, "hey, we're being paid, along with a staff of 20 people, so what the hell." :sigh:

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't know what it is, but I love the show. I watch every episode from every season. Real or not, they are so funny and entertaining. Wild Bill rules!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Last night's episode was entertaining...the twists are getting even more ridiculous coming down the home stretch...
    They could drag this out for another season, too...
    Willy sneaking up to a side-by-side and stealing a walkie-talkie is a bit much, in my mind.

Holy Diver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.