Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box (2016 Remixes only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nexus5, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexus5

nexus5 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I listened to the new mixes of Obscured by Clouds, Meddle and Pompeii and I can't believe how badly eq'ed the highs are. Really, really bright, harsh, unnatural. What the hell happened, how is this possible? Could it be another "mistake"? I read about some mistakes already in the other thread, curious now if these mixes are another mistake....
    The 2010 mixes included sound very nice, the 2016 ones seem like someone messed with the EQ either in the process of mixing or mastering and /or the quality control person was out of the room or deaf. Andy Jackson mixed the Division Bell in 5.1 and it sounds great, what the heck happened here?
    Is there a way to tell them about this? Maybe, if they find out, disc replacements will be issued.

Very disappointed, didn't expect this from Pink Floyd.

Any ideas?

P.S.: Created this thread because the other one is really long and meandering off this topic.

2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I'm interested to hear these new mixes, particularly Meddle (downloading now from Qobuz). I'm going to try to keep an open mind but my suspicions were raised when I saw the DR numbers that someone had posted. Very different to previous incarnations of Meddle....

rnranimal likes this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Can't tell you what happened. But there is no way OBC and Pompei is supposed to sound like that.
    I asked Andy Jackson on his fb but i am not expecting an answer though.

4. nexus5

Oh well, I think (hope) he is mad, too. The mixes are nice, but the EQ on the cymbals...man. This box has been a disappointment, hope they'll fix it. I will try message him, too. Good idea!

Oops. it looks like his page is down or suspended..strange. Anyone else we can contact?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well I just thought he blocked me because of my inquiry. ( Which was worded very sober)

bek0727 likes this.
  6. nexus5

LOL. Could be a technical issue or something else. Maybe they're realizing there's more wrong stuff than just non playing Bluray discs. Meh. Let's write to that replacement service @ warner music, see what they say.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yes, I noticed that too

Just a few minutes listening to those OBC tracks included on 'Creation' double CD set was enough. Couldn't believe how badly mixed they were. Harsh, unnatural, digital-sounding, with an annoying boost in highs and mid/highs.

I don't understand why oh why. Previous Floyd remixes weren't like these ones.

Time to call Steven Wilson

8. nexus5

LOL. Time to let them know about this! Andy Jackson did some really nice work with the Division Bell album surround mix, this MUST be some screw-up.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  9. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Probably closed it down due to the influx of questions/complaints...

10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The 2 discs in question were not meant to be included weren't they? I own the box and am also curious why they sound very top end
    I'm certain Pompeii is an afterthought on CD
    They are still nice to have

11. I like marmalade

I like marmalade New Member

All the magic sounding panned vocals parts into the center channel with a strong compression and sounding just like a mono ADT on OBC and Meddle too.
    And Meddle sounds like a Audio Fidelity 5.1 Spectacular Demonstration, to many left/right front/rear trickery don't help the music, it's 30 years I was waiting for this and sadly the old one stereo mix sounds so much better!
    Thanks god AHM sounds great in quad!

Absjc likes this.
  12. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Is it true that Meddle 5.1 remix is inaccesdible through menu on the bluray disc, and it only appears when you rip the br content? If it is, that's absolutely pointless IMO.
    Does anyone know if there are going to be standalone 2016 remix reissues, including that Meddle 5.1? Or I can only buy a bluray?

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yes - this is true; but it's because the files were left on the disc in error. The mix was obviously pulled at the last minute, but someone didn't remove the files from the disc.

It's not some elaborate easter egg, it's simply an error. The blu ray from the individual set does not include the 5.1 Meddle mix.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I also find the Cambridge remixes and singles to be very bright. If these other mixes are even brighter, they must be unlistenable.

Strangely, the same singles tracks on the videos are a different mastering which aren't nearly as bright. I wouldve much preferred this Eq for the CDs.

15. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I've only done the Cambridge CDs and blu-ray, and I found exactly the same.

rnranimal likes this.
  16. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

I think what IS an error is their decision not to include the 5.1 Meddle in the set. Well, the goog news is I can save on the ind. bluray. The bad news is I probably won't get to hear that mix unless I break the bank for the big box.

For those who have a bluray from the big box, in what format does that 5.1 mix appear?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. HumanMedia

HumanMedia Forum Resident

Do the 2016 remasters of the main albums sound any good or ghastly like these Early Years releases?

18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Were there any 2016 remasters?

19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Just repackaging of the 2011's?

20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Vinyl?

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Ghastly?

The whole box set?

22. bek0727

bek0727 Forum Resident

Listening to these 2016 mixes of Obscured by Clouds/Meddle/Pompeii for the first time in my Sony MDR7506s, and HOLY SIBILANCE. The hi-end is incredibly harsh and brittle. Anytime Gilmour sings anything with sibilance, it's literally painful. Whoever mixed/mastered these should be ashamed! Any clue why they sound so harsh and brutal?

23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

It really is terrible. I have no idea why they allowed these to be released.

bek0727 and rnranimal like this.
  24. Philippe Chambin

Philippe Chambin New Member

Hi all.
    Yes, the highs are ridiculously... high!
    This reminded me of a similar issue I came across on Saga's Heads or Tales CD, which plays fine on a legit CD player, but when ripped, sounds awful: the CD's pre-emphasis was not properly implemented, resulting on only CD players applying the de-emphasis filter on playback. iTunes or any other platform does not. My solution was to import the CD in Sequoia, tick the CD pre-emphasis boxes for each song, and burn a new CD-R from that. Imported that using XLD, and I finally have a proper digital version of Heads or Tales.
    Which leads me to the following hunch:
    As those tracks (I'm talking about Meddle's 2016 Blu-Ray rips here) were not supposed to have been accessed, and although pre-emphasis is a primitive, early-'80s process made moot by oversampling, could it be that somehow, those files have had a pre-emphasis flag mishap?
    I quickly applied the Red-Book de-emphasis curve on A Pillow of Winds, and everything now sounds normal - i.e., like what a seasoned professional would do with their top end, even on a bad day.
    My 50 cents.

Max Florian likes this.
  25. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Has anyone asked Andy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.