The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Oy, I don't know what you are referring to here.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Friends, drop what you are doing and go see JRAD. The 2nd encore last night was Ripple > Born To Run (yes, Springsteen). :bdance:

Best of all I got to meet JRM and Dr. Lunchbox, they are both gentlemen, scholar's, and aficionado's of fine music. A pleasure. :tiphat:

3. US Blues

In a sane world, yes. As pointed out above, there are still July '78 boxes on the shelf in the warehouse, and the bottom line is the bottom line.

I'd go for a download-only version, because I LOVE that April tour, Jerry's playing is sublime, and the whole band is in the blissful pre-Egypt phase of existence.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Isn't there already a downoad-only version (bt.etree.org)?

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

YES! JRAD was a blast. I've heard plenty of SBDs but seeing them live was pretty much jaw-dropping. I was at the Ogden the night before and I thought the kick drum was going to tear that old building down.

It was great to meet @JRM and @US Blues (thanks again for holding some seats for us!) at the show. I will vouch for their esteem not only as solid contributors here, but to the community writ large. Glad we could connect gents!

I'm hoping these two shows make it to JRAD's taper Tuesday releases soon!

warewolf95, NorCal, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

@Rne was Keith still playing the honky tonk piano during December of 71 or had he already switched to the Steinway?

(I'd try look it up but IIRC you know it offhand.)

7. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Bunch of good stuff in Half Price Books on South Lamar in Austin. DiP 6, 7, 8, 9, 16 and 17. Couple of View From The Vaults. Steppin Out With... is only $10! Road Trips Vol1 #2, Dozin, Truckin' Up To Buffalo, three from the vault...

In case anyone's interested. I've got all the above, sadly!

Edit - Phil Zone for $4.99!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    NorCal and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If I recall correctly, he was playing grand piano by the end of the year.

Edit: at least, he's playing gran piano on this release, but he's quite buried in the mix, anyway :cry:

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  9. Msebb

Msebb Member

How much are the dicks?

10. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I looked at two (sorry - have left now so can't say which) and one was $20 and the other $24.

11. Msebb

Msebb Member

Nice, 20 dollars a pick is super solid, one of the stores around here has a few and sells them around 50-60, but I've been to shops that have great ones in perfect condition for 20-25. I don't have any of the ones you mentioned by 6, if I lived in Austin I'd be all over taht

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Was that the only road trips they had? I have everything you listed somehow which doesn't usually happen. Good looking out though

13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I am going to be in Austin in July. Looking forward to hitting all the places that sell used cds.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Yep - in the regular racks anyway - maybe they've got more in one of their lockable boxes. Wife made me leave before I had a chance to look unfortunately.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

You're up early for a Sunday in Hawaii!

US Blues likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Oh ok. I don't think I've ever seen a road trips at a store since they went out of print. I have 7 lf them and the kne you listed is the only one I have with the bonus disc

17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Likewise gentlemen, very nice meeting both of you :tiphat: I was with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple years, otherwise I would've spent much more time chatting. Crazy Colorado weather y'all have. Right now I am at 30,000 feet flying back to patch my bones in sunny and warm Southern California!

This was my 6th time seeing JRAD, and last night was the largest indoor place they have played. Kind of blew my mind how many people were there, compared to the small theaters I have seen them at. They have a BIG sound when they want to, wow. Loved the monster peaks in Let It Grow and Throwing Stones. Slipknot was long and weird. An unexpected treat was the debut of Gonesville from Weir's Blue Mountain (Joe plays drums on that album). I also thought Must've Been Roses (not usually a favorite) with Marco on piano was fantastic. Then, boom Shakedown. And those are just the first set highlights lol.

@trd sorry to miss you, I may be back for Red Rocks in August, maybe we'll cross paths then :cool:

18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Marco on grand piano was an awesome addition/upgrade over Friday night! Loved the dynamic that brought, especially on Roses, as you point out.

19. US Blues

After this show I don't know that they'll have a long career in theaters. They had 1st Bank dialed in and they nailed it. I'll give a shout to Eyes of the World in set 2, the way they slowly eased into the tune from "thick air" was impressive, and oh so sweet.

20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

5:30 am is my usual. Once I was a night owl, but no more.

US Blues and j4yheindeo like this.
  21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

you guys have me all fired up for 7/22 at The Capital Theatre

US Blues and JRM like this.
  22. US Blues

Bring your dancing shoes. :bdance:

I will note that you may not find the level of ultra-extraordinary musicianship you gravitate towards, but they find new ways to explore the Space. And the energy level is seismic.

23. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Started this show earlier this week now finally onto disk 3 - perfect for a crappy, rainy Sunday. Segue from Dark Star to China Doll is perfect.

Dave's Pick 9 - University of Montana at Missoula on May 14, 1974.

CD 3:
    • Weather Report Suite: Prelude
    • Weather Report Suite: Part I
    • Let It Grow
    • Dark Star>
    • China Doll
    • Promised Land
    • Not Fade Away>
    • Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
    • One More Saturday Night

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

A couple of my friends who are going were thrilled to hear I was coming. They said it could get loud. I think I'm used to some strong volume and sounds but this might be different. One reason I'm intrigued by JRAD is it seems they jam out and stretch in unexpected and different ways then the Dead did and this is exciting to me.

And yes the idea of anything seismic is right in my wheelhouse.

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  25. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

You will definitely get songs jammed and stretched out in different ways! That will not be an issue lol. Have an open mind to that, and don't expect to be seeing a band trying to be the Grateful Dead, and you'll have a real good time. Personally I think the name Almost Dead is a bit of a misnomer. I don't think they sound almost like the Dead, other than using familiar GD songs as launching pads for extended improv. But I guess Barely Dead, or Somewhat Remotely Similar Dead, doesn't have quite the same ring to it :cool: