David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have any of you heard Crosby's new album? It's only available at his shows right now but will come out later this summer, from what I understand. Saw David with his band in Reno on Saturday night and the new album was available at the merch table. $15

With "Croz" in 2014, "Lighthouse" in 2016, and now "Sky Trails", the man is definitely making up for lost time. "Croz" is my favorite of the three, but "Sky Trails" is a close contender. The title track is particularly amazing. An acoustic guitar part reminiscent of "Guinnevere", but with David Crosby singing a dual melody/harmony with Michelle Willis. I can't stop listening to it.

"Sell Me A Diamond", "Capitol", "She's Got To Be Somewhere", "Amelia" are my favorites of the 10, but each track is really strong.

After listening to his recent albums, as well as seeing his solo show with his backing band, I don't know that I want to see Crosby ever return to CSN or CSNY. The guy seems better on his own!

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That's as many studio solo albums in 3 years as he released in his first 73 (or first 57 if you count CPR albums as solo albums)

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I really wish I lived in the USA and was able to catch one of his shows. I need to hear this album asap

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I look forward to hearing it when it's available to order

The MEZ likes this.
  5. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I liked Croz, didn't like Lighthouse. Is he just selling this by himself or is there a record label on your release?

samurai, Bob J and gkella like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Can't wait to hear it, based on your remarks. Crosby is currently on quite a roll it seems (agreed we probably don't need any more CSN reformations at this point).

I'm still waiting for my copy of the RSD release I ordered to arrive--they tried to deliver it to my work over the weekend when naturally no one was there.

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't know about Sky Trails at all! Great news.

I've got Croz and Lighthouse and enjoy both, Croz is the best one though. Excited about Sky Trails! Thanks for the info!

The MEZ likes this.
  8. Musician95616

The album is on the BMG label, so it's a real record label. Crosby did talk (on stage) about how no one is buying records anymore, so he hopes people will buy it so that bands/artists can still afford to make them.

The man is definitely on a career resurgence. It was obvious to both my wife and I that David was clearly more relaxed and comfortable playing with his solo band (basically it was CPR plus Mai Agan on bass and Michelle Willis on keys/vocals). The man was having fun and is in amazing voice, particularly given the fact that he is 75, has had his liver replaced, suffered two heart attacks, and has Type 2 diabetes and Hepatitis C. Man should have been dead back in ....1984. And yet he's still here and better than ever.

I'd say his recent solo work is way better than Graham Nash's "This Path Tonight", anything that Neil Young has put out for the past 5-10 years, and better than Stephen Stills' two albums with The Rides.

The MEZ, RickH, AppleCorp3 and 9 others like this.
  9. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

ah, i was going to write a thread last week when i saw him and got lazy.

sky trails is way better than lighthouse imho. jazzier which i like. cool track CAPITOL one of his best. great joni cover AMELIA
    the show was such a treat cause it was a reunion with CPR a project i wish he would have continued with even with the lackluster sales of albums.

the show was so much better on so many levels than any CS&N or CSN&Y or BYRDS reunions.
    these were adventurous players not going through the motions. (jeff pevar is so good on guitar)
    the re-takes on a couple CS&N & BYRDS tracks were way better than the originals.
    he didn't even grandstand about his recent spit-ball battle with the real nudge (ted)
    he may be a nudge in his personal life but he is firing on all cylinders with this band and should say money is not everything and continue on this route instead of milking
    the fans and that cash cow CSN&Y
    this band is like a cross between STEELY DAN & CS&N and music could use a lot more of that.

10. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Absolutely agree Croz should ditch CSN(Y) for good - here's why, Peev is back

The MEZ, slosaint and boboquisp like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wow, another good one? Who'd knew Crosby would be the most consistent and prolific out of CSNY in 2017...

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i wish could get may hands on one of these CD's

13. Musician95616

Who knew that Crosby would still be alive in 2017???

The MEZ, Davmoco, pacealot and 9 others like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just got my RSD Crosby release delivered! Can't wait to get this puppy home today to spin it!

Thanks for the description. He came to Anaheim a couple weeks ago, and I didn't make it out. Sounds like I need to redress that the next time he's playing within the LA area.

The MEZ likes this.
  15. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Check out Youtube

16. slosaint

slosaint Forum Resident

At 75, Crosby is making the best music of his storied career. He's in incredibly strong voice and, in the last few years, he not only has become a prolific writer, but the tunes are damn good. The current band he's out with is killer - Steve DiSanislao (drums/vocals), Jeff Pevar (guitar/vocals), Mai Again (bass), Michelle Willis, (keys/vocals) and James Raymond (keys/vocals). All these cats can sing. The vocal harmonies are tight, on-the-money. Croz is going back in the studio in the Fall with the musicians that made Lighthouse - Michael League, Becca Stevens and Michelle Willis. He said that this will be a collaborative group effort, not a solo Crosby outing. Can't wait!

17. Musician95616

His band is tight and grooves like nobody's business. DiSanislao and Agan make up an amazing rhythm section. Powerful with a swing. And as mentioned above, the vocal harmonies are really really tight. Willis, in particular, is really good. Her mic level was a little louder than the other's on Saturday night in Reno (or she sang louder), so she really cut through....and her vocals are pitch perfect. Really really really good singer.

The MEZ and Elliottmarx like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Did he mention if this was getting a release outside of his merchandise table?

melstapler likes this.
  19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

He has said on twitter it will be out later in the summer

20. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Flying down to see him in Seattle on Wednesday. Love his last two albums, especially Croz. Can't wait!

The MEZ and Musician95616 like this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you would think one of those 'sky trails" CD's would show up on ebay.......you would think.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I just don't ever want a world without 'the Croz' in it. :love:

The MEZ, bluerondo, vegafleet and 4 others like this.
  23. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

I will be seeing Croz Sunday in Boulder, I can pick one up for you if they are still available. Just let me know prior.

bill Maxwell likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

25. Musician95616

DAVID CROSBY Sky Trails RARE LIMITED 2017 TOUR EDITION CD CPR | eBay

I see someone is now offering Crosby's new album on eBay at $25.00.

Personally, I think it's a little crass to do that. I know it's about supply and demand, but Crosby is selling the album for $15 at his show. For a half-second I contemplated picked up 1-2 additional copies, but it ultimately felt wrong to try and profit off it.

Maybe I'm just a wuss.

The MEZ, musicalbeds and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.