Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Renaissance, Legend, & JL5 Black Path Editions*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

When I was using my CAT "Ultimate" in my work I actually had a chart for swapping 6DJ8's and 12AX7's for both the phono section and line section. An amazing number of combinations can really change the sound depending on what you want. I love that about the thing. My 12AX7's are always Teles (the Ei is OK but just a Tele wannabe, IMO). The 6DJ8s I had (still have) for the CAT are the Teles as pictured above and a nice sampling of Amperex 6922, 7308, 6DJ8, etc). Fun times. Oh, and I have a pair of cryo'd EH 6922s that I sometimes use when I want an icy presentation (working on really warm stuff like EWF, etc.

All good, I still love mine even though it's not in use right now. A great preamp, my only bitch about it is the noise floor using Amperex tubes is way too high, the Tele 6922 (E88CC) tubes lower the floor a lot.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

The noise floor on the new Renaissance is really low, talk about black background.

3. Steve Hoffman

I wonder what he did in the circuit to fix that problem? Noise or not, I still love mine. We were going steady for a long time. Still in my heart!

4. Tullman

Ken told me the new Renaissance performs better than the 2009 Legend preamp. I don't know if it is those new caps he designed called black path.

5. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I would like to know the answer to that question too.
    Ken, IMHO, is one of the very best audio designers...perhaps even the best. So whatever he did, I'm sure it was a breakthrough.
    Very interesting that he told Tullman that the new Renaissance performs better than the 2009 Legend, that too does not surprise me too much.

6. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Also very interesting, maybe Ken has changed his position on this in the time since I last spoke to him about it. He was pretty adamant that the tubes supplied were the best for his preamp...and was not in favor of tube rolling.
    Perhaps, he has seen the light, LOL.

7. Steve Hoffman

He might have just lowered the gain a bit on that thing. Was pretty intense.

8. Tullman

Well now, there is some truth to that. He does design his equipment to sound good with the tubes he supplies. I'm not sure Ken changed his position. I just don't remember him telling me not to tube roll. When I was at his shop Ken was showing me cases full of out of production ei tubes, he also showed me the NOS RFT 12Au7's. In fact, I bought some of those tubes from him. I think if Ken could find a steady reliable supply of NOS tubes, then he would put those in his amps and preamps. He told me he tried a bunch of NOS tubes in his stuff and the quality of NOS was just too inconsistent to put in his designs. Ken thoroughly tests the tubes he puts into his new equipment.

In the manual for the Renaissance preamp he mentions not to use power conditioning, or contact enhancers. He also warns against tweaks and said some power cables may improve the sound, but some will make it sound worse. He does not mention tubes.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Tullman

There are now two gain settings switches, one switch for each channel, inside the preamp 15db and 25db. I prefer the 25db setting which is what I was used to with the old Signature model.

10. Tullman

It made me feel better about the new preamp for sure. I do really like the volume control option, that is the same VC that is used on the Legend. The 2009 Legend went for 20 grand.

11. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Hopefully your new CAT has a few more hours on it by now. Aside from the decrease in background noise ( a pretty nice improvement all by itself) what other improvement areas do you hear? Did you trade your old CAT Sig in to Ken or was it to a dealer?

12. Tullman

I traded the old CAT Sig to Ken. He must have a market for them.

The soundstage is bigger. The instruments have more air around them. Overall sound is much better. Less listener fatigue. I could go on...

13. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I wonder if Ken is "refurbishing" the older models?? Would be a great idea for him to do that..and then sell them again.
    If the soundstage is bigger, it must truly be impressive!

14. Tullman

It wouldn't surprise me if Ken checks and measures my old unit to be sure everything is up to specifications and then replaces parts as needed. I don't think he would replace or update any parts that were functioning properly.

15. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but how do you order CAT products? I could not find a website or a list of dealers online.

Thanks!

16. Tullman

You can either get it factory direct fom Ken Stevens or you can go to Galen Carol Audio.

Kkfan likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

CAT stuff is still made? Had no idea. He needs a better publicist.

SandAndGlass and Kkfan like this.
  18. Tullman

Yep, Ken just emailed me a couple of weeks ago about Galen Carol being a dealer.

I asked Ken why he didn't at least have a website, and he said he didn't want to be bothered. CAT is a pretty small operation. When I was there a couple of years ago, they had two people building equipment. I am pretty sure he had equipment displayed at AXPONA.

DaveyF and Kkfan like this.
  19. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Thanks a lot!

20. Tullman

What are you looking at? Amp? Preamp?

21. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Mainly amp, but probably both. Also looking into Atma-Sphere. I've read that the AS OTL midrange is something else, especially on electrostatics.

22. Steve Hoffman

I have my CAT preamp patiently sleeping under my piano (not unlike a real cat) waiting for the day........ Will never sell it.

SandAndGlass and Tullman like this.
  23. Tullman

I just added a low output Sound-Smith Hyperion cart to my setup. The CAT phono amp handled the cart with ease.

24. Tullman

They are /$15,000 now.

25. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

New versions of the CAT preamps coming to market....official release will be in Munich.
    The Legend gets the full Black Path treatment including in the power supply and will be called the SL1 Legend BPX and the Renaissance gets the caps in the full audio path...and will be called the SL1 Renaissance BPA.
    I believe these models are what are shipping now.

Tullman likes this.