I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

Been listening to their first few records again. Astonishing!

Great songs, tremendously evocative and atmospheric. And the musicianship is first rate. They made some stone cold classic lps

Anyone with me?

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

With you all the way !

3. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

One of the more underrated bands. First 4 albums are outstanding.

4. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I know I'm in the minority, but I think The Grey Album is outstanding as well. Yes, it (especially the production) is more blatantly commercial. However, the songs themselves are still fantastic (for the most part).

5. chodad

chodad Hodad

I just recently played some of their music and I agree.

caravan70 and The MEZ like this.
  6. BroJB

Will Sergent is phenomenal. Hes in johnny marr's ballpark, which is saying something

7. BroJB

Plus, how many bands can make the lyric "see you at the fairy cake bake" and make it sound downright menacing? :)

caravan70, gilmango, jamesc and 4 others like this.
  8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Absolutely, the self-titled album is terrific. "The Game" is one of their best. At the same time, "Bedbugs..." is one of their worst (it simply does very little for me). Overall though, the album is strong.

The comeback records are very good as well, "Evergreen" and "What Are You Going To Do With Your Life?". I listen to those often. Diminishing returns thereafter but I will always entertain any new Echo as there is always something of value in their releases.

art, BradB, faz09 and 5 others like this.
  9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

One of my top 5 bands ever! The Electrafixion one off album is really good too.

10. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I'm trying to remember what song that's in but am coming up blank.

11. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

The first album builds a lot of momentum track by track. I wonder how long it took them to record? Because there is a huge change in quality as the album progresses.

12. davers

davers Forum Resident

Another fan of the 1987 self titled (gray) album. The only time i saw them live was on that tour...just a fantastic show and Will was really something on guitar.

faz09, JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  13. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

The line is "See you at the barricades, babe" from "All That Jazz".

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  14. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I can't get enough of "The Killing Moon".

15. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Oh yeah! I remember when the guys at Cellophane Square ( cool old-school Seattle
    Store) said you will like this band- and I bought a $3.99 used cooy of their 1st LP..... pretty cool stuff from a great era.....I love their 1st 3 LP's

16. BroJB

LoL. I like it my way better.

17. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

We are going to see them live this summer. I hope they can still deliver the goods!
    Porcupine and Ocean Rain are my personal favorites.

18. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I only know their Live in Liverpool album (2001?) which I like a lot. Very influential band, good tunes and, as many have said, a first-rate guitar player

19. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Lips Like Sugar is one of the greatest songs of the 80s

20. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I thought that debut LP had a very strong Doors influence ...... anyone else?

pwhytey, marmalade and RobCos02330 like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, they're noted Doors fans and even did a cover of "People Are Strange" at one point. More than a lot of the other 60s bands, the Doors had a big impact on the post-punk scene.

Echo and the Bunnymen's first four albums are incredible and have held up as well as any of the other luminaries of that era. Each one has its own distinct character and yet they still feel of a piece as they gradually evolved from the raw, heady juju of the debut to the lush sophistication of Ocean Rain. A great creative run, but alas it couldn't last.

22. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

And don't forget the involvement of Ray Manzarek, the former organist of The Doors, at the s/t album! :)

JeffMo likes this.
  23. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm with you, all right - except for that bit about forgetting.

Of course, I got a somewhat belated start with the Bunnymen... Crocodiles was already out when I first heard any of their music. My introduction was The Villiers Terrace on the radio, some time in the autumn 1980. To say it stood out a mile would be an understatement. Anyway, that's all it took to make me a fan for life.

Great, great band!

24. Howdin 66

Howdin 66 Well-Known Member

With you all the way amen brother . Crocodiles,Heaven up here, Porcupine and Ocean rain their 1st four albums where nailed on classics, still played to death even to this day and they have aged well as well, still sound like nothing else imho and Will Sergeant must be one of the most innovative guitarists ever also. Fantastic band .

Speedycat69 and The MEZ like this.
  25. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I wish they'd release more early 80's live material - they were astonishingly good, particularly on the 1985 tour.