New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum Thread Starter

This year has been rich with great new releases imo. New prog doesn't get much attention nowadays, so here's a new thread just for new prog! There have already been several great new ones I've discovered...

Barock Project - Detachment
    Mostly Autumn - Sight of Day
    This Winter Machine - The Man Who Never Was
    Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn

What new prog are you discovering? Any new releases you liked in particular? How about didn't like? And are there any upcoming prog releases you're excited for?

:wave:

2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm very much looking forward to listening to the new Big Big Train CD I got the other day. My wife wanted to hear it too, so whenever she's up to it, I'll play it.

3. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Do check out the album Oracly by my fellow country(wo)men Mayra Orchestra. Music, concept, visuals all come from the band leader's brain Maartje (Mayra) Dekker with some help from Christiaan Bruin (who himself releases great music both solo and as a member of Sky Architect). The new album is the first one that uses the live line-up on the entire album (the debut was mostly performed by Maartje and Christiaan). Here is the lead single from the album which introduces some of the characters that also appear in their live shows:

4. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I am about halfway through the new Big Big Train lp and loving it! Their last few albums have been very consistent!

5. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

big big train is superb.

i am loving IAMTHEMORNING which is somewhat on the edges of prog but could be considered. almost a cross between kate bush & renaissance.
    intoxicating.

6. calgary669

Does iamthemorning have a bew album? Love everything i have heard from them so far!

7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

This description sounded intriguing, so I just looked them up. This is the song I tried, and I absolutely LOVE it (especially the instrumental sections toward the end). I actually don't hear much of either Kate Bush or Renaissance in it, though. Yo me, it is more like a cross between Hooverphonic and After Crying:

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have Return To Ommadawn but not heard of the others. As far as other prog is concerned have bought the most recent albums by Steve Hackett and Marillion.

audiotom, richierichie and Johnny Reb like this.
  9. calgary669

Love both the Marillion and Hackett. The 5.1 on the Hackett is also better than Wolflight!

DEG likes this.
  10. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Dear Hunter - Hymns With the Devil in Confessional.

Outstanding !!

11. NorthNY Mark

Late correction--hopefully it was clear that I meant to write "To me," rather than "Yo me" in my post above!

12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

New Magenta (We Are Legend) and new Big Big Train (Grimspound) are both truly amazing releases. Looking forward to Damanek (new Guy Manning project) due in May.

13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Just purchased Nad Sylven's 'The Bride said No'. Anybody else have this?

JohnG, Glen Leat and Norco74 like this.
  14. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Waiting for it to arrive. Release is showing May 26 in the states. I'm looking forward to it. I really liked his last album.

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. NorthNY Mark

Having listened to "Lighthouse," now I can totally hear the Kate Bush and Renaissance influence! Thanks, Micksmuse, for bringing this great band to my attention!

ds58 likes this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

King Crimson - Heroes EP pre-ordered via DGM

waiting1

17. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Just picked up the new Ayreon release. Haven't spun it yet but love the last one!

19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Would love to hear these... (Most likely will get both eventually.)

20. Pre-ordered as well! Cannot! wait for the full live lp toward the end of the year to go with it!!

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  21. calgary669

will get mine on Wednesday! Will report back!

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

New album from Once & Future Band is superb. Classic, bombastic, 70's prog rock with touches of Yes, ELP, CTA, etc. They're opening for TOOL this summer on a bunch of dates...

23. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I hope and prey the latest Eddie Jobson - Marc Bonnila tour will get some sort of release this year...

JakeM likes this.
  24. calgary669

Going through Ayreon's latest effort, The Source, as I type! Beautiful packaging, I must say. I went with the 2 Cd-1DVD configuration- happy that I stopped there.

Some great prog moments in here - i simply feel that there's a tad too much cheese lyrically and even musically. Don't get me wrong - this has the epic feel that I love - Just missing a bit of something. Perhaps repeat listening will help clarify my thoughts a bit.

The 5.1 mix is good, although it would have benefited from added definition and punch (only Dolby Digital 5.1).

For the price - 20$ - can hardly complain, a great deal. Not perfect, but some worthy moments nonetheless.

Norco74 likes this.
  25. calgary669

One of my LP purchase will be Bjorn Riis second solo effort, Forever Comes to an End. He is to main guitarist for Norway's prog band, Airbag. I loved his first effort, so can't wait to hear this. This comes out on the 19th!

MGM, E.Baba, siveld and 1 other person like this.