ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

ZZ TOP drops the needle into the groove for a new vinyl set that takes listeners on a rocking ride through the long running Texas trio’s early years. It includes the band’s first five albums pressed on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl, presented in a box made to look like the custom “Nudie Suits” worn by “That Little Ol’ Band From Texas” on stage… around the world. Audio is taken from the original London Masters, pressed on 180g audiophile quality vinyl, each albums artwork has been faithfully replicated.

seed_drill, Todd68, Borgia and 3 others like this.
  2. And a side of refried beans... I'm IN!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I look forward to the day when the whole "180 gram BS line " has run it's course, and we get told who mastered the set, and where was it pressed ?
    Been waiting for a couple of weeks on this one, and still no word.
    My originals are all in great shape, but I'd like to know just the same.

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Considering the whole cock-up on the Tres Hombres LP reissues who would take a chance without knowing!

iloveguitars and Gumboo like this.
  5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member Thread Starter

Hope they sell these separately....need a fresh copy of their 1st!!

6. Myke

The ignorant and uninformed. Saw a post earlier today on this forum, where the member was basing the quality of the recording on the weight of the vinyl.

telepicker97 likes this.
  7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Mastering is the key question here!

telepicker97 and Myke like this.
  8. The Killer

I've got some dynaflex I bet sounds better than some of the hastily churned out 180g stuff, and as for 200g, I don't think that would fit under my needle!

ssmith3046, telepicker97, mfp and 2 others like this.
  9. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Very tempting. Not sure I need to re-buy them, but shiny new vinyl sure would be nice...

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have two crates of different London pressings of these albums, but I'm still going to get this, simply because they are my five favourite albums, all categories. It looks very nice too, love the Nudie design artwork, really hope they are well mastered.

What "cock-up"?

DoF likes this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly as i have all the rest on top form.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

CINCO: THE FIRST FIVE LPs will be available on June 9 from Warner Bros. Records for a suggested retail price of $114.98. During the weeks leading up to the set’s release, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers will be on tour in the U.S. and will follow-up in July in Europe.

13. The Killer

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, I know about all that and the confusion is unfortunate, but how is it a "cock-up"? Different masterings for US and EU releases is more a rule than an exception, and always has been, it is nothing unique to that release.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    DoF likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

1 - original pressed vinyl

2 - cassettes

3 - original CD's

4 - the first 6 CD's with odd mixes in a clamshell on 3 CD's

5 - remastered CD's

6 - new vinyl copies of the first 5.

full circle

gotta love it.

telepicker97 and thxphotog like this.
  16. Myke

8 tracks. No self-respecting, licensed male didn't have at least Tres Hombres, in his car in 1973.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

What I like about this release, besides the music itself, is that it is the first retrospective release to focus solely on the 70's London Records era, hope that is a good sign for the future.

Just so as to not confuse anyone (because these thing have a tendency to get confusing), the "original CD's" also have the "odd mixes" (they only came out after the "clamshell").

DoF and artfromtex like this.
  18. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I met a Shiek from Mozambique!

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Hoffman's Tres Hombres is killer!

Pat

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Where did he lead you?

MikeInFla likes this.
  21. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered at SoundStageDirect. $91.99 with the 20% LP20 coupon they have this weekend.

csaudvid and sonofjim like this.
  22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Always and forever.

Everything else, including format, are secondary to mastering.

23. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this will the same mastering as the albums in the The Complte Studio Albums 1970-1990 cd set that came out in 2013. If so, I thought the mastering was excellent, somewhat faithful to the original vinyl (especially Tres Hombres) but didn't have the rolled off bass/treble and compression that made the original vinyl sound a bit too lo-fi. The versions on Hdtracks are all 192/24 (same mastering as the box set??) so there's a good possibility that they're cut from these hi res files too. Just need to know who cut them and where they're pressed. I thought the relatively recent (analog) reissues of Rio Grande Mud and Deguello were excellent in terms of mastering and vinyl quality. Tres Hombres/Fandango! are good quality pressings too (I didn't really like the mastering though - sorry Steve and Kevin! - but many swear by them) so ZZ Top has had a good track record of quality reissues. It's got the potential to improve upon the original vinyl.

24. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Jumping into this thread so I can keep tabs on it..

Is there any possibility these are the same masterings we had on LP recently? Could they just be repackaged into a box format? If so, I would be in for these, simply to get the Hoffman/Gray cut of Tres Hombres that is apparently now out of print.

Would there really be a need to recut these? They could just use the same plates as the last issues, especially if this is a Rhino box set.

25. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Funny...I just bought tres hombres on London records, the only one from the first five I was missing as original on london records...So, I don't think I will pull the trigger on this box...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.