Did Anyone See Gabriel Era Genesis Live or Gabriel Live pre 1985?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

anyone? was wondering how amazing of a show it was

Dodoz likes this.
  2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Oh, I wish I had seen them too... just a bit to young. Some of the YouTube videos of the concerts are very intriguing. Pre 1985... no. I saw him in 1986 in Dallas though. Good show but no old Genesis in the song list that night.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    BDC, Shak Cohen and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

yeah I'm also too young to have seen them. wish a reunion would happen although I know Gabriel wouldn't do all the costume changes in a reunion show

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I saw Gabriel in 1983 and it was an otherworldly experience. He wore the make-up that you see on Plays Live. During Lay Your Hands On Me he was literally passed about 40 rows back. When he finally made it back to the stage his white suit was perfectly torn into threads the length of every seam. It was a show that took the entire crowd to a completely different place. Almost like a mass hallucination. I saw him two times afterwards, '86 and sometime in the early '90s. Both very good shows but they couldn't hold a candle to the first experience.

I saw Genesis in '82 and that was very good too. I wasn't expecting much thinking then that they were over the hill because the hit song at the time was Paper Late. Not a bad song, but on the poppy side vs their past. They never did play Paper Late, but they did give us Supper's Ready. A great show also.

hi_watt, audiotom, BwanaBob and 12 others like this.
  5. 131east23

It's funny, I've seen many of the original core members on stage, just never together.

6. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes Gabriel Security tour 12/18/82 at the SF Civic Auditorium, show was ok, but his vocals were distorted, but great set list. The SF Civic was a very difficult room for sound.

hi_watt, konoyaro and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Saw Gabriel on his first solo tour when his only Genesis song was TLLDOB. Still got the programme and ticket. I remember him doing a lot of running around which I wasn't expecting ! I went with freind as a favour who was a big Genesis fan and remember him ( & the crowd) shouting 'Suppers Ready' between each song!

8. Matthew Tate

any idea why he doesn't play any genesis stuff? you would have to think he is proud of that material

9. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Saw The Lamb show twice and Gabriel on his first solo tour. All pretty AMAZING !

10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I guess he wanted to become his 'own person' and to purely promote his own material. I suspect lots of fans went expecting to hear a good 'chunk' of Genesis songs on his first tour and where left dissapointed. Kudos to him for doing that & I guess it was a brave thing to do, I can't think of many (if any) artists who left a successful band and didn't rely on the said bands songs? Considering he only had single albums worth of songs it was quite a brave thing to do!

bleachershane likes this.
  11. 131east23

Dr. Mudd, sjaca, hi_watt and 3 others like this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

That stuff was a long ago in their prime.Best let sleeping dogs lie and just hold on to that what was.I dig it.

13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Saw Peter Gabriel post Genesis, for the first solo US tour, and twice again later.
    Maybe once after 1985, at that World Music thing too.
    I enjoyed much of Genesis, but I'm more of a Crimson fanatic one could say.
    I loved Gabriel much more on his own. That first tour at the Stanley Theater in Pgh, PA
    with Fripp and Tony Levin sent me out of my mind, absolutely couldn't get enough of the
    first 4- 5 albums. That first tour w/ Fripp sitting slightly off stage and the great Levin!
    The greatest memory was the first gig, I was in the 8th row, just off center... when the
    final song ended, Tony shot his pick out in the audience. It fell right between my friend and I.
    He was a casual fan, and knew I was a progressive music nut and was glowing. He got the pick
    before I got to it... he let me sweat it out for almost a week. Then handed it over, still in my Crimson collection to this day! On the white pick it read: "STOLEN FROM TONY LEVIN".

The more I think... deep in the recesses of my mind I actually think I did see The Lamb tour
    in Pgh. have to look it up think it was at the Stanley Theatre also.

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Sadly, No. I had a chance to see him in a very small venue on the Security tour and failed to do so. Of course after hearing from a friend who went I quickly realized I was an ass for not doing so. Since then, I have seen him every chance I've had for So, Us, 2 Womad shows, and his recent tour with Sting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Was lucky to see Genesis at a small college venue during their tour in support of "Foxtrot" then later for Selling England, and finally the Lamb show. Their's was a unique sensory experience to witness live, something I've never seen anywhere else.
    After Wind & Wuthering, I lost interest in them, but have followed & seen Gabriel & Steve Hackett whenever possible since.

16. Matthew Tate

Robert plant also did that. why now after so many years though does he not perform any of it?

17. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Thank god for the Musical Box.

18. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Saw PG on his first UK tour in 1977 at St Georges Hall, Bradford. Quite a small venue. Tony Levin was in the band. He played pretty much played all that first album including the barber shop quartet "Excuse Me". He walked amomg the audience and shone a torch under his face to look creepy. It was pretty stripped down, no theatrics. Pretty sure he played "Backn in New York City". Great show.

19. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Cool! I was at this show as well. IIRC the opening band was "The Electric Guitars"...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think there is some footage from the 1977 tour on youtube.

If he was deliberately not playing anything Genesis, he must have struggled to build a setlist, with only one solo album to his credit, you would've thought.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

I think he did some covers as well

Siegmund likes this.
  22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I saw him in London but it must have been around 86 or 87 as he was promoting the So album. I think it was Earls Court. Kate Bush joined him on stage for the Don't Give Up duet. It remains one of my favourite live shows.

hi_watt and deany76 like this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I was so fortunate to see the Security tour on two occasions. It was at a small theater in Massachusetts. The opening with Rhythm of the Heat was mind blowing!
    Drummers at every corner of the dark theater in a long extended intro then Peter comes from the rear to the stage to let out that yell! Wow! Another nice effect was at the end of San Jacinto, he had light beams coming from his palms to the floor of the stage and slowly directed then around the audience repeating "hold the light, hold the light". Very trippy!

hi_watt, PC31, Jvalvano and 1 other person like this.
  24. I was too young to visit concerts until 1996, so sadly no. But I think the 2007 Genesis shows, Peter Gabriel's 2003, 2004 and 2007 shows, Steve Hackett's 2009 show and all the Musical Box shows I've seen have made up for it.

25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Yeah! I think it was a pretty short show. Dont remeber any covers but it was 40 years ago!

Siegmund likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.