Zac Efron IS Ted Bundy! (Upcoming movie)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dudley Morris, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Looks like the former High School Musical heartthrob is putting some special effort into roughing up his image, something that the upcoming Baywatch movie likely isn't going to do. Check this out, from the Hollywood Reporter:

"Ahead of the release of his latest film Baywatch, Zac Efron has signed on to a new film project, and he'll be playing one of the world's most notorious serial killers.

"Efron will star as Ted Bundy in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, which will be helmed by Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker Joe Berlinger (Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory).

"Michael Werwie wrote the script for the project, which is told through the perspective of Elizabeth Kloepfer, Bundy's longtime girlfriend, who went years denying the accusations against Bundy but ultimately turned him in to the police. Only nearing his execution, when Bundy began talking about his extensive and heinous murders, did Kloepfer, and the rest of the world, learn the true scope of his numerous and grisly crimes. The script earned Werwie the coveted Nicholl Fellowship first prize and landed on the Black List."

Could be interesting - I always like it when teen idol types take these sorts of wildly counterintuitive roles. More here: Cannes: Zac Efron to Play Ted Bundy in 'Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile'

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Sacrilege!

He's no Ed O'Neill!

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not that Ted Bundy.

Holy Diver likes this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My wife loves Zac Efron, but says she will not see him in this. And she sees every movie he does.

Darryl

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

So bad.. Cary Elwes played Bundy He was perfect.. in the river man movie
    Zacky is just a kid.. does not have acting chops to play bundy..

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's Al Bundy.

Efron is too young to play a convincing Ted Bundy. They already did a decent TV movie with Mark Harmon (I think?). Never the less, I guess Bundy's story is still interesting to people. In some ways, he was a fairly unique serial killer: lawyer wannabe, escaping jail, good looking guy; etc.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    melstapler and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Bundy was a law school student who didn't complete the program.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You're right. It's been awhile since I read the Ann Rule book. My mistake.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

10. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Who would want to watch a movie about Ted Bundy? He was an evil man who did nothing but slaughter helpless girls. Not interesting.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Plenty interesting IMHO. Are we only allowed to watch lighthearted movies now? Ted Bundy is human darkness incarnate, but a bit of him may be in all of us.

BrentB likes this.
  12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

No, I like good horror movies as much as the next guy, but all Bundy did was enter a sorority house and murder girls in their sleep. Nothing clever or interesting about him whatsoever.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Sorry. I meant Al Bundy.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He did much, much more than just murder a couple of sorority girls. He was described as "evil incarnate" and he agreed with the assessment.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Good point, but it didn't keep me from watching Helter Skelter or Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Most humans are fascinated by the evil that lurks within us. True crime is very popular for this reason.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Efron is 29 - he'll be 3o in October.

Bundy was late 20s/early 30s when he did his deeds.

Seems like Efron's just the right age! :shrug:

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn't realize Efron was that old. I stand corrected.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think you're alone - I think most people still think of him as a teen/college-age actor.

It's been more than a decade since the first "High School Musical", though, so time marches on! :)

MikaelaArsenault and GodShifter like this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Fitting - Efron is creepy as hell offscreen, too.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hope he can pull it off.

Great story.

22. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

If they "Steve Carrel in Foxcatcher" his face, the look'll probably work. Hopefully he has the acting chops for it... haven't seen him in anything that really requires that much range (except Hairspray or Parkland)

23. Dudley Morris

You seem to be thinking of Richard Speck.

24. Dudley Morris

I don't know how good an actor Efron is, but indeed he's not a bad choice for the role age and looks-wise. Part of the thing with Bundy was that he was the last person people who knew him would've suspected of committing such extreme crimes. He even worked at a suicide crisis hotline center, which is where his future biographer Ann Rule met him.

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I think it depends on how you define "interesting." Reread your post and see if he doesn't sounds uninteresting in that he is so far away from the normal everyday we encounter. Bundy may be evil, but he is very interesting as a maniac. It's morbid, but no less "of interest" to those of us who consider ourselves more balanced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.